IGNORED

City In The Premiership?

wackojacko14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/4876746.stm

In here it says that GJ is ready to take us to the next level (Championship) and that we are one of England's most under-performing football cities etc..., but then quite briefly he starts to say about the Premiership, even though it is briefly it is noticeable, anyway IF we get into the Premiership how long do you reckon till we will reach that level and how long we will stay there for ? :dunno:

In here it says that GJ is ready to take us to the next level (Championship) and that we are one of England's most under-performing football cities etc..., but then quite briefly he starts to say about the Premiership, even though it is briefly it is noticeable, anyway IF we get into the Premiership how long do you reckon till we will reach that level and how long we will stay there for ? :dunno:

we will never get there with the current financial structure. no, let me rephrase that, we might make it but unless there is a big injection of cash we will come right back down.

academy structure as is - 5 years minimum and we will come straight back down.

massive cash injection - 2 years minimum and we might stay up but probably not

Anything is possible,long standing Reading fans must be pinching themselves,Gretna in Europe....comic book stuff.

Critical to our 30 year malaise is real positive momentum,sustained for a prolonged period of time.We have not had a real period like that since the 70's when development was planned for and could be witnessed by all rather than a brief promotion forray followed by getting sand kicked in your face.

We really need to understand the financial incentive of the championship and finally make it happen,too many bad decisions,too often,mark us as big an underachiever as any in the league.

Money,money,money,well that is the other route.

Step one - get out of division one. Maybe next season....

Step two - Consolidate in the Championship.Two seasons....

Step three - Employ Paul Jewell,Ian Dowie or Steve Copple or some other manager with experience at that level and push for the Premiership.One more season...

So...1+2+1 = 4 seasons

Once in the promised land,spend as much as possible to strengthen and stay there.Unfortunately history shows that many newly promoted teams don't do just that - Sunderland for example - and come straight back down.

It's the dream ALL City fans want, it's why we stay faithful to the club cos we hope deep down one day we'll make it to the top.

"Right love just off down the gate"

"Who's playing?"

"Ah we've got Arsenal this week, going to put a bet on but we're odds on fave to win so might not bother"

I have a dream...

To think had you been born in any other of the top 10 biggest city's in the country you would either have a regular Premiership Club to belong too or the chances are you would have done in your life time :( ....... and here we are only really being able to fantisise about such a thing.

Another point, imagine if we ever did make it to the top and all the new City fan's crawling out of the wood work, we'd get accused of bitter cliqueiness and still be tormented with memories of Chesterfield, Hartlepool and the like.

Life's not fair is it!

To think had you been born in any other of the top 10 biggest city's in the country you would either have a regular Premiership Club to belong too or the chances are you would have done in your life time :( ....... and here we are only really being able to fantisise about such a thing.

But then you'd be northern or a brum or a londoner ew no thanks. Bristol through and through :)

Guest DrFaustus

IPB Image

we will never get there with the current financial structure. no, let me rephrase that, we might make it but unless there is a big injection of cash we will come right back down.

academy structure as is - 5 years minimum and we will come straight back down.

massive cash injection - 2 years minimum and we might stay up but probably not

Why?

We've shown that we have an academy with which we can produce players capable of playing at a higher level. If we managed to make a couple of decent signings each season and not sell our best player over time we'd dramatically improve.

Being promoted to the Championship would mean more cash. We'd make more every season we stay there as regular matchday support grew, we'd build up our active fanbase. That money invested properly after a few years in the division above is a foundation off which a run at Premiership promotion could be built. If clubs like Watford and Swindon can do it there's no reason whatsoever we can't.

I think the slower and steadier we progress, the more chance that progress has of lasting though.

Step three - Employ Paul Jewell,Ian Dowie or Steve Copple or some other manager with experience at that level and push for the Premiership.One more season...

So...1+2+1 = 4 seasons

Once in the promised land,spend as much as possible to strengthen and stay there.Unfortunately history shows that many newly promoted teams don't do just that - Sunderland for example - and come straight back down.

Blimey, that's positive for you Robbored! I'd settle for 10th in the Championship in 4 seasons time.

For me the dream, if we ever made it, would be that instead of going to Bristol City Centre and seeing kiddies wearing Man U shirts, to instead go to Manchester City Centre and see kiddies wearing Bristol City shirts.

I still remember going down Broadmead in 1995 and seeing kids wearing Blackburn Rovers shirts. Come 1996 the local Oxfam shops were probably full of them! :laugh:

Can you not even manage a single post without making a thinly veiled dig at Johnson? He may not have experience at that level but he'll be entitled to have a go if he gets us there.

Employ a manager with experience of gaining promotions and forming a winning team on a tight budget.

Do not employ a cheaper option with no experience of management.

Job done.

So...1+2+1 = 4 seasons

History also shows that clubs who get relegated from the Premiership go on to struggle for years after and some never fully recover financially from their spending whilst in the Premiership.

In our league at the moment we have Swindon, Oldham, Forest, Barnsley and Bradford who are all ex Premiership clubs, all of whom jhave had financial problems.

In the Championship Wednesday, Derby, Southampton and Leicester are occupying the 18th-21st places.

Not many clubs get relegated and come out of it unscathed financially. Watford and Palace are probably exceptions.

this board does make me laugh. you're banging on about being in the premier league- 3 weeks ago you were still in the dogfight. at best you're an average league 1 club- this is a fact based on the other fact that you've not been above this league for years on end.

reality check.

this board does make me laugh. you're banging on about being in the premier league- 3 weeks ago you were still in the dogfight. at best you're an average league 1 club- this is a fact based on the other fact that you've not been above this league for years on end.

reality check.

Reality check? I wouldn't get to cheeky and over confident mate, face it, your going down.

reality check.

I think it's more a case of dreaming about being in the Premiership, than actually claiming it as a reality (for the majority of posters anyway).

reality check.

I expect you were saying that to Reading fans a few years ago.

reality check.

We can hardly be blamed if you're not intelligent enough to recognise a purely theoretical topic.

So...1+2+1 = 4 seasons

Assuming we were on track with steps one and two why would we be considering sacking the manager that had led us to something we hadn't achieved in over 10 years?

If we get promoted and then consolidate in the Championship the best chance of you getting your wish will be that the conference manager gets even more out of his depth at an even bigger club. Maybe even your beloved Arsenal - how funny would that be? :w00t:

I kinda prefer the Championship to the Premiership in a way...

There's enough big games, but less plasticness.

Having said that, if we were gunning for promotion to the prem....

Ill remember this point when we get relegated in the 2010/2011 season!!! Do take your point though and in some ways agree with it - be nice if we were going to Molineaux as opposed to the Bescot on Saturday ....

Archived