IGNORED

I Know It's Unlikely And Been Posted A While Back

Ben4BCFC

Who says the Play offs are off the cards? OK most of you probably will, but after a comfortable and impressive 3-0 win over Walsall and a few slip ups from teams above us, namely Oldham losing to MK Dons; Donny losing 3-0 to Yeovil; and Barnsley drawing at home; and Swansea losing to Vale; there is still every chance - as many have said - stranger things have happened!

This weekends fixtures for teams challenging for playoffs are:

Blackpool v Swansea (But play Swindon at home mid-week)

Bradford v Doncaster

Hartlepool v Bristol City

Oldham v Barnsley

Tranmere v Nottm Forest

Swansea have a game on a fairly bad pitch against a team who don't have the worst home record, however an away win is expected but with Doncaster, on the back of a 3-0 defeat, travelling to Bradford - not an easy place to get a win; 2 other hopefuls, Barnsley and Oldham playing eachother; and Forest also on the road to a ground where it isn't easy to get points; if we get a win and results go our way, we can be just 5 points off the play offs with Oldham to play at home.

The other teams fixtures:

Oldham:

Barnsley HOME

Us AWAY

Swansea HOME

Doncaster AWAY

S****horpe HOME

A very tough run with 4 teams challenging for play offs

Barnsley:

Oldham AWAY

Southend HOME

Blackpool AWAY

Bradford HOME

Walsall AWAY

Some more tough games including Oldham who will be fighting for play offs, Southend who are gunning to with the title, and Walsall who will be fighting to stay up.

Swansea:

Swindon HOME

Blackpool AWAY

Rotherham HOME

Oldham AWAY

Southend HOME

Chesterfield AWAY

9 points expected from the first 3 games but then 3 tough games to finish off the season against Oldham, going for play offs; Southend, going for the title; and Chesterfield, a tough team to play away; and even Rotherham could cause a shock now fighting to stay up.

Doncaster:

Bradford AWAY

Walsall HOME

Southend AWAY

Oldham HOME

Tranmere AWAY

Only one game where a win is expected and that is still against a team who will want to stay up, in Walsall. Have to play Oldham as well, where results will be likely to help us in some way, and also Southend, plus Tranmere, a tough place to go.

Nottingham Forest:

Tranmere AWAY

Yeovil HOME

Hartlepool AWAY

Bournemouth HOME

Bradford AWAY

Probably the easiest set of games out of the teams going for the final spot or two of the play offs, however still a few tough away trips to Tranmere, Hartlepool and Bradford, and also a game against a team who will be trying to stay up, Yeovil.

Bristol City:

Hartlepool AWAY

Oldham HOME

Tranmere AWAY

Swindon HOME

Southend AWAY

A tough run of games with three very hard away games at Hartlepool, trying to stay up, Tranmere, a tough place to go, and Southend, who are going for the title. Also a tough game against Oldham at home and a local derby against Swindon which will be a tough game, as this fixture always proves to be. However if results go our way and we just keep putting in 150% every game and get a bit of luck, there is nothing to say we can't win most, if not all, of our remaining games and still make the play offs. What do you think?

Discuss.

Good post.

If we win all of our remaining games we will have a vague shout at the play-offs. It's a long shot at best, but anything can happen in football.

If we'd got into the play-offs last season and gone up I would have been disappointed, we didn't have the management team or financial situation to support a team to stay in the Championship. Now, with the finances looking up & experience in the ranks, if we finish in say 8th place or higher then it will certainly bode well for next year. If we had the same form during the 7 League match losing streak that we have now, then we would be around 3rd position.

1 Southend 41 377 77

2 Brentford 41 18 69

3 Huddersfield 41 13 68

4 Colchester 40 12 65

5 Swansea 40 21 63

6 Barnsley 41 14 63

7 Oldham 41 3 63

8 Nottm Forest 4114 61

9 Doncaster 41 0 57

10 Bristol City 41 0 55

City can only reach a max of 70 points. That means that Oldham,B'ley,Swansea need only another 7 points from their remaining games.Colchester need another 5,Brentford another 1.

Sorry, but the play-offs are out of sight - even if City won all their remaining games.

City can only reach a max of 70 points. That means that Oldham,B'ley,Swansea need only another 7 points from their remaining games.Colchester need another 5,Brentford another 1.

If 2 of them slip up, and Swansea look likely to, so that's only 1 more club, then we may be in if Forest & Doncaster fail to capitalise. I agree it's a longshot, but never say never.

Wont happen, roll on next season............ :pray:

Just like we didn't beat Liverpool in the Cup. Just like we lived up to our title as promotion certainties this season.

Nothing is certain in football :rolleyes:

Just take a look at the history of the league over the last 10 years. The last team to qualify for the playoffs had the following points

04/05 71

03/04 73

02/03 81

01/02 78

00/01 75

99/00 82

98/99 76

97/98 70

96/97 73

95/96 73

So once in the last 10 years a team has made it on 70 points. In that year 4 teams had 70 points and they filled the 5-8 th slots. The deciding factor in that year was goals scored.

However, its now goal difference. In the highly unlikely event of teams getting into the playoffs with 70 points there is almost certainly going to be a tie. Our goal difference will almost certainly not be good enough. A quick look at the league table will show you how far adrift we are on this front.

1 Southend 41 377 77

2 Brentford 41 18 69

3 Huddersfield 41 13 68

4 Colchester 40 12 65

5 Swansea 40 21 63

6 Barnsley 41 14 63

7 Oldham 41 3 63

8 Nottm Forest 4114 61

9 Doncaster 41 0 57

10 Bristol City 41 0 55

Sorry, but the play-offs are out of sight - even if City won all their remaining games.

Maybe I'm going deaf but I ain't heard the fat lady singing yet !!!

It is a long shot but it could happen. With alot of the top teams having to play each other then points will be dropped. 70 points seems like a low amount to reach the play offs but the required amount to be safe from relegation is higher this year. Anyone can beat anyone in this league and that is why it is so close.

I stated a while back that I belive 70 points would get any team into a playoff place.

• Admin

1 Southend 41 377 77

2 Brentford 41 18 69

3 Huddersfield 41 13 68

4 Colchester 40 12 65

5 Swansea 40 21 63

6 Barnsley 41 14 63

7 Oldham 41 3 63

8 Nottm Forest 4114 61

9 Doncaster 41 0 57

10 Bristol City 41 0 55

You would think.

However, the sides in 4th, 5th & 6th seem to be doing their best NOT to make the play-offs lately. In the last 8 games, Swansea & Barnsley have picked up 8 points and Colchester just 6 :doh:

The club that will play the biggest role in deciding the play off places is almost certainly Oldham.

As Ron points out above they have to play (in order):

Barnsley

Bristol City

Swansea

Doncaster

This means that there will be 12 points being kept in and around the play off places. A good run by Oldham will almost certainly see them take one of the places. Equally so a bad run will share the points around the play off teams.

You would think.

However, the sides in 4th, 5th & 6th seem to be doing their best NOT to make the play-offs lately. In the last 8 games, Swansea & Barnsley have picked up 8 points and Colchester just 6 :doh:

Yes but we'd need them all to carry on like that, and we'd need the 7th 8th and 9th teams to all have sudden and dramatic downturns in form.

Playoffs are out of reach even if we win all our games and they have been for months.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think the season will end a few games too early for us. However, it sets it up brilliantly for next season. GJ has shown he can turn this bunch of lads into a team capable of automatic promotion. Next season will definitely be one worth buying a season ticket for.

No-one seems to have noticed Forrest.They are just 2 points off sixth place and getting some decent results lately.If anyone is going to pinch a play-off place it'll be them.

Forest have taken something like 20 points from their last 8 games. They are on a great run and I would not be surprised to see them sneak into 6th and go onto win the playoffs, à la Crystal Palace.

1 Southend 41 377 77

2 Brentford 41 18 69

3 Huddersfield 41 13 68

4 Colchester 40 12 65

5 Swansea 40 21 63

6 Barnsley 41 14 63

7 Oldham 41 3 63

8 Nottm Forest 4114 61

9 Doncaster 41 0 57

10 Bristol City 41 0 55

I like your sanity and commonsense - notwithstanding the idiot dreamers.

Just went on bbc and done the predictor league with us winning all are games and other games going as i reckon city may creep play-offs by a point! But seems to be in are hands i feel...if win are games i cant seen oldham and doncaster winning most of there games getting points if there lucky! have your go............. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...tor/default.stm

Tom

We all know it's a dream but like those dreams where you accidentally walk into a room and Angelina Jolie...oh, hang on, back to the football...it's not going to happen.

Why not? I give you:

Rotherham 3 City 1.

Just a week ago or so.

Edit: Ooops, we scored against Rotherham.

We all know it's a dream but like those dreams where you accidentally walk into a room and Angelina Jolie...oh, hang on, back to the football...it's not going to happen.

Why not? I give you:

Rotherham 3 City 1.

Just a week ago or so.

Edit: Ooops, we scored against Rotherham.

And then remember back to December, when we beat Huddersfield 2-0, a game we had no right to win in the circumstances. It works both ways.

No-one seems to have noticed Forrest.They are just 2 points off sixth place and getting some decent results lately.If anyone is going to pinch a play-off place it'll be them.

I reckon Forest will have one of the pray off places.

don't think we'll do it this year. Be nice to get 7th or 8th though.

Good post.

If we win all of our remaining games we will have a vague shout at the play-offs. It's a long shot at best, but anything can happen in football.

If we'd got into the play-offs last season and gone up I would have been disappointed, we didn't have the management team or financial situation to support a team to stay in the Championship. Now, with the finances looking up & experience in the ranks, if we finish in say 8th place or higher then it will certainly bode well for next year. If we had the same form during the 7 League match losing streak that we have now, then we would be around 3rd position.

I'm willing to bet that 70 points will secure 6th place.

Archived