IGNORED

Question For The Supporters Club

Dollymarie

More questions.

Have I understood correctly that the membership (Gold/Silver) that will allow access to the 'exclusive' bar will be restricted to 224?

If the answer is yes, I am then correct in thinking that if only 50% of the membership turned up to use the bar at any given game, the bar would remain half full, with no entrance for anyone else?

If the above is true, then I believe that the Gold/Silver membership should be open to all and the 'exclusive' bar admits on a first come first served basis and then when full, on a one in and one out policy.

I've got very used to having a half time pint and we usually get in there before K.O. in time to have a quick pint and pre-order our half time drinks - will this option still be available?

Me and the guys that I go to games with are disappointed that after supporting and spending in the R&W since it opened, we will now have to pay and maybe, if it attracts a big membership, not even get access.

Good point and one that is not easy to answer.The bottom line is that 224 in the max number allowed in the lounge bar and any over that number would breach health and safety regs.I'm sure there will be times when not all 224 members will attend but we cannot rely upon this.We have to record all numbers coming into the SC now for the same reasons.

Most major airlines over subcribe their flights and we've all heard stories about people with tickets not being able to get a seat and the rows that ensue- well, thats not a situation that we can permit at AG.

As for pre-ordering your half time-time pint.I'll have to get back to you on that,but hopefully that won't change.

Good point and one that is not easy to answer.The bottom line is that 224 in the max number allowed in the lounge bar and any over that number would breach health and safety regs.I'm sure there will be times when not all 224 members will attend but we cannot rely upon this.We have to record all numbers coming into the SC now for the same reasons.

Most major airlines over subcribe their flights and we've all heard stories about people with tickets not being able to get a seat and the rows that ensue- well, thats not a situation that we can permit at AG.

As for pre-ordering your half time-time pint.I'll have to get back to you on that,but hopefully that won't change.

Robbored, I'd like to apologise about my contributions to this thread because it's been bugging me all weekend.

I do still think that the decision to charge a fiver for access to the R&W sucks.

I do also think that the amount of information available via the Supporters Club website about the changes etc is woeful and should be far better.

But I also think I went way over the top in my criticism of the Supporters Club and, indirectly as a result, yourself. It always irks me when people who do not get off their backsides and do anything positive themselves sit behind their computer having a pop at people who do, and I realise that is exactly what I've been guilty of here.

I do hope that if nothing else the SC takes on board the fact that the website should be far more informative about this change, for example setting out what bronze membership is, what privileges it holds etc. You accuse me of being ill-informed, but it's difficult not to be when the SC itself puts out no information at all on its website about the changes etc.

However, I hope too you'll accept my apology for being far too aggressive about the issue. I did it because I believed strongly it's the wrong decision, and still do. But people who actually give up their time and put huge effort into trying to improve things for our club and our fans deserve support and encouragement from fellow fans, not repeated verbal attacks. So I'd just like to say that I admire the energy you are putting into the SC, I hope it will lead to a rejuvinated organisation, and I hope this thread has not tempered your enthusiasm and the enjoyment you derive from getting involved, because the club and its community is stronger as a result of dedicated folk like yourself who actually get off their arses and DO things rather than simply talk and moan about how things are on forums and in pubs.

Good luck.

However, I hope too you'll accept my apology for being far too aggressive about the issue. I did it because I believed strongly it's the wrong decision, and still do. But people who actually give up their time and put huge effort into trying to improve things for our club and our fans deserve support and encouragement from fellow fans, not repeated verbal attacks. So I'd just like to say that I admire the energy you are putting into the SC, I hope it will lead to a rejuvinated organisation, and I hope this thread has not tempered your enthusiasm and the enjoyment you derive from getting involved, because the club and its community is stronger as a result of dedicated folk like yourself who actually get off their arses and DO things rather than simply talk and moan about how things are on forums and in pubs.

Good luck.

Apology accepted,Redtop but there really was no need. I'm am quite aware of how the SC is percieved by many fans and I held similar opinions untill I became involved and found out more.We are slowly trying to turn things around but Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for critism - its goes with the territory.After we had notified our members that the bar would be moving to the Dolman Hall next season and that we had little choice about it,one very irrate lady walked upto me in the SC bar,wagged her finger in my face and told me "your're just Steve Lansdown's puppet" and stormed off.

Thats the way it goes somtimes..

I do still think that the decision to charge a fiver for access to the R&W sucks.

Bear with me on this one but is this issue a little bit like the issue of road pricing? You have to pay extra for something that was previously free (or at least nominally free to STholders).

Why would people want to pay extra? The only reason would be if you get there more quickly because less people are using the roads or because the extra funds allow for more lanes to be built.

You have the choice of paying or not paying.

With the R & W, people will be prepared to pay extra, if the facilities were better: better beer, quicker service, more toilets, better comfort etc. The key factor here is that lots of these things will get worse if more people are using the bar.

What is worrying is that technically there will now be even more people who can use the Red and White and thus the queues could be longer and thus you get no value for the extra money spent.

Perhaps the problem here is that a fiver is actually too small an amount because it is doubtful that the R&W will either be that much better or that much more exclusive at that price point.

Let's face it the R&W ain't that great at the moment. However it's there and, if you're a STholder, available.

What we really want is better roads, without having to pay extra for them!

Down to Mr Sextone and Wenn then all this kerfuffle.

Yet again genuine long term fans shafted in the name of the gurt prawn. Docha jus luuuurve it............

Fot the ST, can any of this be reversed/revamped/redrafted to allow choice for the REAL fans, the ones who will still pitch up, long after the prawns all fork off and leach another sport?

Down to Mr Sextone and Wenn then all this kerfuffle.

Yet again genuine long term fans shafted in the name of the gurt prawn. Docha jus luuuurve it............

Fot the ST, can any of this be reversed/revamped/redrafted to allow choice for the REAL fans, the ones who will still pitch up, long after the prawns all fork off and leach another sport?

Are you suggesting the SC members are not 'real fans'?

Someone recently referred to SC as a "comfy old men's drinking club". Is he a member that knows that for a fact? If so, does he put himself into that category, or is he referring to the mix that comprises families, twenties, thirties, forties, etc.? Perhaps he is just targetting the members who have put a lot of their own time and money into the Club since its begining in 1949 and up to this day to raise money for the Football Club. You will find that we have quietly and consistently over the years raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for BCFC - and even built the Stand that some of them sit in.

Not 'real fans' eh?

Someone recently referred to SC as a "comfy old men's drinking club". Is he a member that knows that for a fact? If so, does he put himself into that category, or is he referring to the mix that comprises families, twenties, thirties, forties, etc.? Perhaps he is just targetting the members who have put a lot of their own time and money into the Club since its begining in 1949 and up to this day to raise money for the Football Club. You will find that we have quietly and consistently over the years raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for BCFC - and even built the Stand that some of them sit in.

Not 'real fans' eh?

No Mr Robbored I am not...............You have misinterpreted my post. I didnt make it clear, I aint blaming you lot at all.

I'm placing the blame at Mr Sextones door, and I'm asking wether anything can be done for you as SC, me as a long distance fan, and all the hundreds like us who will still be here long after Sextone and his ideas have gone. Wether you are SC, pay on the day, whatever, all of us long suffering fans who are in it for life!

Not 'real fans' eh?

Other than have a drink in a private members club, what does the modern day Supporters Club do? I know that the SC used to contribute large funds to the club from the bar takings but I was under the impression that this had now all but dissapeared due to Scott Davidson giving the bar contracts to Lindleys.

If I could see the benefits that joining the SC offers to both myself and the club then you might go someway to dispel this 'old boys network' tag. I don't recall ever receiving any sort of communication from your organisation whatsoever, and if I'm not alone in this then its therefore not surprising that so many people hold negative views towards the SC.

You need to go out and engage with people. Simply saying it'll only cost 20p a game is not enough.

Archived