IGNORED

Keith Millen - No Longer A Villain?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

After the poor start to the season, Keith Millen was getting as much stick from quite a few fans as Tinman was, now he's obviously playing a part in this massive improvement, I was wondering if opinions have changed.

He has been reported as being top of his class when taking his coaching badges and well respected amongst his peers, he obviously works well with GJ, and I've certainly seen no indication that GJ is looking to bring in his own assistant.

So, any credit to Millen or should he have been sacked?

After the poor start to the season, Keith Millen was getting as much stick from quite a few fans as Tinman was, now he's obviously playing a part in this massive improvement, I was wondering if opinions have changed.

He has been reported as being top of his class when taking his coaching badges and well respected amongst his peers, he obviously works well with GJ, and I've certainly seen no indication that GJ is looking to bring in his own assistant.

So, any credit to Millen or should he have been sacked?

Yeah it's interesting how that all seems to have piped down.

I remember some interesting debate about whether our shocking defence was all down to Keith Millen or whether it might possibly have had a slight bit to do with changing it every game... looks to me like the answer to that is fairly clear now.

I still don't rate Millen, plainly because I thought he was total rubbish for us as a player. So I admit I was against him from the start and to be honest my feeling prob won't change. I admit I have no idea how good a coach he is but thats the way I see it. Prob wrong I know but oh well.

I remember arguing that I couldn't understand how we were supposed to know how good a coach is. I mean based on this season he is both a terrible coach AND a brilliant one. How can fans judge without seeing him at work?

Yeah it's interesting how that all seems to have piped down.

I remember some interesting debate about whether our shocking defence was all down to Keith Millen or whether it might possibly have had a slight bit to do with changing it every game... looks to me like the answer to that is fairly clear now.

To be fair to Millen, he was hardly going to learn when being an understudy to a man with as much experience as himself. But now he is working under a man with international experience. Just a slight difference ;)

Being as inexperienced as Tinnion himself, Millen was a poor choice as assistant. With an experienced manager in charge I see no reason why Millen can't develop into a very good coach.

Incidentally, Gary Owers and Shaun Taylor seem to be struggling in a similar fashion. Absolutely no idea what to do when things are going wrong. Started Saturday's must-win game at Burton with 6 defenders in the team and one man up front. And that man was Julian Alsop.

Like I said above, you don't need to know how good the bloke is at his job to judge him. Take the current England manager, has only lost 2 or 3 competative matches but is still judged by other matters.

Where's the comparison? Sven is not some guy behind the scenes, he's held accountable for the England results. He has also been judged on his private affairs which are common knowledge for better or worse.

Millen is one of many coaches operating under Gary Johnson, and we have nothing to judge him on. Despite this you pretty much admitted that you dislike him with or without a reason.

He was a good player - pity he wasn't a couple of inches taller although he always punched above his weight. I remember some great performances particularly defending corners. He probably knows what to do but can he coach?

One thing we all agree on - having a settled back four at least gives you a chance over Youga, Sankofa and endless changes.

The fact he was a coach under Wilson (I think), assistant under Tinnion and assistant under Johnson, seems to say that the people (in charge) who get to see him working, think he must be a pretty good coach.

I don't know enough about what he does to make a valid opinion.

Not a bad centre half, but just a little too old and slow when he came to us.

To be fair to Millen, he was hardly going to learn when being an understudy to a man with as much experience as himself. But now he is working under a man with international experience. Just a slight difference ;)

not his biggest fan but when put like that he deserves a chance to prove himself as a coach.

I think it's important to see that Millen is actually quite well qualified (in training terms)as a coach.

In my eyes the mistake was the boards in appointing two outright beginners.

I also noted the whiff of acrimony in Tinnion's tone having been fired, he tried to blame millen but it didn't stick.

Interesting piece about Barlow this weekend, he says he only wants to be an assistant, and isn't interested in being a manager. I think it was rash getting rid of him, as he seems a talented coach.

Then again Jimmy Lumsden was the same - now at Everton with Moyes.

Lets see if GJ brings in anyone else in the summer.

When Tinnion was sacked Millen did himself a whole lot of good by not getting involved with blame or accusations he just got on with his job. He did not try to distance himself from Tinnions decisions or try to say that certain things were going on which he did not agree with. I believe he has come out of this as a man of integrity who deserves the chance he has been given by GJ.

When Tinnion was sacked Millen did himself a whole lot of good by not getting involved with blame or accusations he just got on with his job. He did not try to distance himself from Tinnions decisions or try to say that certain things were going on which he did not agree with. I believe he has come out of this as a man of integrity who deserves the chance he has been given by GJ.

I recall he said in an interview, shortly after Johnson's appointment that he was having to take more of a back seat. Gary Johnson sounded like a hands-on boss who didn't require too much assistance. I'd imagine Millen is learning a great deal about coaching, considering what he's had to witness this season.

Never understood why he got so much stick - think he probably just ended up carrying the can for some fans who didn't want to think beyond him - especially with Tinman being such a hero an' all.

I've certainly never met with/spoken to anyone who really knows anything much about the man and his methods. As pointed out earlier, GJ seems quite happy so I guess they work well together, there's mutual respect etc etc.

Good luck to him I say.

Gator.

Archived