IGNORED

Russell Over The Hill

If i remember rightly, when we signed Russell he was 32 years old. I haven't been that impressed with him this season and don't think he is the player to push us on to promotion. A 33 year old trying to boss the park just aint going to happen (well not for Russell anyway). He may be ok as back up but i think it would be better to transfer list him and try and move him on. Anyone agree?

If i remember rightly, when we signed Russell he was 32 years old. I haven't been that impressed with him this season and don't think he is the player to push us on to promotion. A 33 year old trying to boss the park just aint going to happen (well not for Russell anyway). He may be ok as back up but i think it would be better to transfer list him and try and move him on. Anyone agree?

No i bloody do not. Are you drunk?? Absolutely instrumental in mid-fileld, superb and he's going to be even better next season. I actually cant believe ive just read that :blink: Excellent pairing with Noble and i don't think Gary Johnson has any plans to transfer list him... Sorry :blink:

Nope, he was everywhere on Saturday. He was box to box - and for a 32 year old thats great value.

I like the way it rotates between Skuse, Russell and Noble - and I'm hopeful we will sign a ball winner - but I can see Russell keeping and fighting rightly for his place next season.

Nope, he was everywhere on Saturday. He was box to box - and for a 32 year old thats great value.

I like the way it rotates between Skuse, Russell and Noble - and I'm hopeful we will sign a ball winner - but I can see Russell keeping and fighting rightly for his place next season.

He isnt going anywhere and quite rightly so. Good shout Blingy :chant6ez:

i think he has done ok for us.

but yeah, we should let him move on this summer and have noble, skuse and brown playing for the central midfield places, or even the youngster, artus (think thats how you spell it!)

does anyone know if we signed russell on a one or two year contract?

Gary Speed is playing week in week out in the Premiership and he's 37.Tinnion was still holding down his place at City aged 36.

Russell is just a boy compared to some players who play right upto 40.

Russell is a good player and who can tackle,spot a pass and get up and down well.The competition for midfield places with Skuse Noble, Russell,Wilkshie,Brown and Murray is great for City.Johnson will possibly sign another midfielder in the summer which will make it even more competitive.

Gary Speed is playing week in week out in the Premiership and he's 37.Tinnion was still holding down his place at City aged 36.

Russell is just a boy compared to some players who play right upto 40.

Russell is a good player and who can tackle,spot a pass and get up and down well.The competition for midfield places with Skuse Noble, Russell,Wilkshie,Brown and Murray is great for City.Johnson will possibly sign another midfielder in the summer which will make it even more competitive.

You and Johnson made up now then? :whistle:

Russell has done well since his injury and settled the midfield and definately deserves another shot next season but it may be a bit much to ask him to play in the Championship the season after assuming we go up.

Also I agree with LOTB about the rotation between Russell, Skuse and Noble as Johnson never actually drops one of them, its also injuries/suspension that takes one out and they then must wait for their chance.

Personally, i don't rate Russell. He bottles it in the tackle, isn't a particularly good passer, and doesn't score enough for a box to box midfielder. He is slow physically, and sometimes too slow in using the ball.

If he's really good enough for us then why was he slummin' it at Torquay for so long? Surely someone would've thought he could hack it at a higher level?

Disagree, sorry, I think he`s been outstanding, one match in particular I singled out would be Walsall, we was immense, he doesn`t do anything extrordinary, but he does what you would like a player to do when watching, he see`s passes, has great vision, ok maybe hasn`t score as many as he could of but he always helps out attacking the box and defending, he is never going to be one to get all the praise and recognision, but thats because he`s consistant.

I`d like to see this Birchum bloke, always rated him as a player and with a bit of character as Johnson likes, Noble, Skuse, Wilkshire (if stays), Russel and maybe Birchum, all fighting for central midfield would be something else! Only a couple of wide players, Fontaine and a striker alonside Brooker left to get and we`ll have a great squad... :rolleyes:

He's got a good 2 or 3 years left in him at least. Don't forget he missed the first few months of the season, and was bound to take some time to get fully match fit. In the last couple of months, I think he's been our best player, and hopefully next year he can add a few more goals to his performances.

I`d like to see this Birchum bloke, always rated him as a player and with a bit of character as Johnson likes,

Bircham is a cracking player, who'd be a great signing, but unfortunately rumour has it that he's going to Birmingham.

Guest Cider Army

ARE YOU BLIND! I have been to the past few away games and he has controlled the centre of the park just about tight. NO WAY!

Since getting over his injuries he's done well. Good to have a bit of competition for centre midfield, can only be good for the team! He'll be here for at least another year. Reading his interview in the program a while ago i belive we'll probably be his last club, he has a lot of properties around the country so i guess he'll turn to property development when his playing days are over. Good to see he's looking beyond his playing days!

No.I think you are totally wrong and presume we have not been watching the same player.He is getting better and better and I would say he is instrumental in any promotion push we make next year.For me he is the best midfield player we have.

Archived