IGNORED

New Signings/Transfer Targets

Big Red Rich

I beleive i read somwhere that indeed we are top of henry's list should he decide to leave the gooners but from what i am led to think the only stumbling block is the fact that city are far superiour to the shambles he plays for at the moment where he is treated like a god.

And he is a little concerned he might not make the grade here of even get off the bench.

Of course if he wants to succedd in europe then he must come here!

:laugh:

Who doyou think the new strikers Jevons,Boyd,Hayter, etc

Hayter has just signed a new contract at Bournemouth so it's highly likely that it won't be him.

Boyd is a possibility but I'm not sure if he'd travel this far South and there's question marks over his fitness.

Jevons sounds like a real possibility, but he's denied it will happen.

Another main contender seems to be Micheal Reddy (but again, would he come down here?). Others, less likely to be here next season, are Luke Beckett, that Halmstad striker we were after, and Joel Porter.

My money is on 1 of those mentioned above and maybe an unknown striker released by a Premiership club.

Guest bathofcider

37 is too old even for a keeper and he's only played 7 games in 3 years or something.

We'd be much better off getting a keeper that can do 5+ years here.

Konstantopoulos please.

At last!

Someone with some common sense!

Konstantopoulos is my choice.

How old is Van Der Sar? If we was considered to be a decent back up in the Premiership, surely he would be a good keeper in League One?

Many keepers have played very little in the past few years, Steve Harper at Newcastle springs to mind. Does that make him a bad keeper? I'm sure NV has played plenty of reserve games this season.

With regards to his wages, what makes you so sure they 'will' be high may I ask?

I also think Paul Gerrard will be a decent keeper at this level.

I can't see Reddy coming to us if Grimsby get promoted.

I can't see them getting promoted now though.

I'd be happy enough with Reddy and Jevons but I'd prefer to put in a bid for Billy Sharp and find out how much Scunny want first. I reckon he'll be quality in years to come.

How old is Van Der Sar? If we was considered to be a decent back up in the Premiership, surely he would be a good keeper in League One?

Many keepers have played very little in the past few years, Steve Harper at Newcastle springs to mind. Does that make him a bad keeper? I'm sure NV has played plenty of reserve games this season.

With regards to his wages, what makes you so sure they 'will' be high may I ask?

I also think Paul Gerrard will be a decent keeper at this level.

What is the point in getting a decent keeper who's 37 so that you have to repeat the process the following year when they retire? There are keepers under 30 around who are just as decent.

I can't see them getting promoted now though.

I'd be happy enough with Reddy and Jevons but I'd prefer to put in a bid for Billy Sharp and find out how much Scunny want first. I reckon he'll be quality in years to come.

If not Sharp then his mate Keogh.

I just get the feeling Reddy, Jevons and Brooker are all very similar to each other and we could do with someone smaller and nippier. Although, of course, Cotterill can play that role.

I just get the feeling Reddy, Jevons and Brooker are all very similar to each other and we could do with someone smaller and nippier. Although, of course, Cotterill can play that role.

Yeh exactly, he's not been prolific in the league below, and he's fitting a mold that we don't need him to...

Don't think we should get him. Jevons, Sharpe and Pahars. That would be fun.

What is the point in getting a decent keeper who's 37 so that you have to repeat the process the following year when they retire? There are keepers under 30 around who are just as decent.

Maybe because older keepers bring experience and solidarity. Van der Sar, Schmeichel, Seaman?? Pressman is still going on, Martyn has just got a new contract, Mark Crossley still in the Prem etc etc.

Brooker and Jevons. Then we have Benyon who I believe turns 20 this year, why sign him if he's not going to be played. Then we have Cotterill who wants to play striker and Williams our paciest option who can also play striker. Thats 5 options for 2 positions.

We still may end up with MS who can sit out his contract by refusing to leave, but I feel there will be one more striker signing. I don't believe Reddy is the answer, his career stats are too inconsistent and we need better.

Maybe because older keepers bring experience and solidarity. Van der Sar, Schmeichel, Seaman?? Pressman is still going on, Martyn has just got a new contract, Mark Crossley still in the Prem etc etc.

Being old doesn't mean they can't be good but being old doesn't mean a keeper is good. There are plenty of old crap keepers. Every keeper you mention above was as good at 30 as they were at 37 if not better IMO.

They might bring experience but they also bring lower agility, increased injury proneness and usually higher wages.

I'd rather have a decent keeper with 5-10 years in front of him who's still improving than someone who was once a very good keeper with 1 or 2 years left who's in decline.

Archived