IGNORED

Racism

redsontour

Milo, did you ever get a response?

Only ask because the Evening Post (didn't buy it, was in the Chinese :ph34r: ) saw fit to publish this letter today from a Rovers fan disgruntled at their press attention:

Rovers turn on their own loyal followers

SO Bristol Rovers have finally turned on their own supporters ("Do you know these faces?", Post, May 17).

It doesn't surprise me at all, having followed Rovers for 36 years.

Instead of thanking these young fans for supporting possibly the worst club in the Football League (compare their points totals over the last five years), they have their faces printed, as if common criminals, all over the local newspaper.

Let's get one thing straight - all these young lads did was to run onto the pitch after the end of the final game of the season, a tradition that has occurred at end-of-season games for as long as I can remember.

It is, in fact, amazing that Rovers have any support at all, let alone supporters with enough enthusiasm to show their support in this way.

I think I should hand myself in to the police for this crime, as I ran onto the pitch at the end of the promotion matches against Brighton in 1974 and Blackpool in 1990.

I note the following in the article - "There is no suggestion that these nine fans were involved in throwing stones or coins."

Finally - and I am serious about this - are the board at BRFC deliberately running down the club for a reason only they know, or are they just inept?

Paul Johnson, Filton.

If you haven't received a reply yet, I think it's amazing that they'll publish a letter from a Rovers fan that claims that the 'named and shamed' were only innocently on the pitch (and just happened to congregate by the away fans).

Did any letters complaining about the rascist story and booing ever get printed?

I'm sorry but that must be a father of one of the kids, becuase thats not the view of most normal gasheads!

those kids ran on the pitch and chucked stones and coins at innocent women children and men.

Rovers have finally done something right in my book and that bloke is just a muppet!

I'm sorry but that must be a father of one of the kids, becuase thats not the view of most normal gasheads!

those kids ran on the pitch and chucked stones and coins at innocent women children and men.

Rovers have finally done something right in my book and that bloke is just a muppet!

Absolutely, and the uproar on your forum is a definite sign that most of your fans don't condone it.

What amused me is the tone of the letter, the sheer denial of the writer. It also twigged in my head as to whether the Post had published letters from City fans regarding the current negative reporting we've had.

I received an email reply on Monday (sent Friday morning) from Mike Norton disagreeing with my point of view and assuring me of the Post's impartiality. I plan to reply to the email this evening and I'll request his permission to post his reply on otib while I'm at it.

At least you got a reply (after your second e-mail)!! I will be chasing Mr Spittles to check whether it is the Evening Post's official policy to ignore e-mails that are non-abusive but dare to question their style of reporting and impartiality.

One other interesting point (amongst many observations) comes out of this thread...Especially when you consider my post to start it...

My resolution for next season is that if i hear it, i am going to have the balls to stand up, approach the nearest steward/policeman and insist that person is ejected. I urge you to do the same.

So...this post has resulted in a list of people who are prepared to boycott the Evening Post due to it's alleged bias....and none who simply replied "I will do the same".....

Amazing how a perceived unfairness can lead to the message getting lost....

:englandsmile4wf:

Archived