IGNORED

Latvia, Here We Come, Latvia Latvia Here We Come!

Steve Watts

On the wireless this morning, it was announced that we're off to Latvia on tour this summer. Anyone else know anything about this? Not on the main site as yet. GJ's contacts have ensured we have a few games including Skonto Riga. I would guess that the trip may also be used as a scouting mission to see if a few bargains can't be picked up.

Anyone actually going to go?

it's says in the evening post that we are out there 7th July - 14th July, it's the world cup final on the 9th.

You can fly from gatwick or Stansted for about one hundred pounds, Riga is supposed to be a quality City with cheap beer and women!

How cheap are the women?

How cheap are the women?

not sure, not been myself, but i know some lads from colchester who go out there all the time for those two reasons alone, throw a couple of city games in and we're on to a right winner!!

they reckon the nightclubs are lively too, all the baltic boys are bang into their house music apparently.

I went to Riga in November, was told that Skonda were playing at home on the last day of the season,

turns out there is nothing other than a tractor exhibition going on.

FK Riga, the other team in Riga were playing instead.

Managed to get there via this delapitated taxi

just walked into the ground, no turnstile or anything,

About three hundred fans, very bizzarre football, oddest own goal ive ever seen, across the pitch about 20 fans start lighting flares and chanting in english, the whole of that side of the ground was empty apart from these nutters.

weird.

it's says in the evening post that we are out there 7th July - 14th July, it's the world cup final on the 9th.

You can fly from gatwick or Stansted for about one hundred pounds, Riga is supposed to be a quality City with cheap beer and women!

And if you're a kid (like I was when I went back in 2000) it's loveleh :blush:

So yeah, I am looking to go. Will it be as easy as turning up and paying at the ground? It is very exciting. I have never been to Europe to watch football before....who needs the champions league?

It wont be sold out, Skonda are the biggest club in Latvia Capacity (8500), but they are not the league champions, it was somebody called Metalurgics Leipaja.

Ice hockey is the main sport in Latvia.

Should be good fun though. When Johnson was at Yeovil, they had some great pre-season tours, mainly of Holland and Germany. Latvia is a good start though.

Beats playing no marks like forest green rovers.

With the main game being on Saturday the 8th i've been pricing up some flights to do the Friday - Sunday, little bit more expensive (approx £150), hopefully we'll take a few out there as it's been years since city had a few games in europe!....remember how many we took to pisa in the anglo italian!

Got flight from Liverpool leaving sunday 9th July and back on Friday 14th July - total cost of £46.46p with Ryanair.

Rooms from £30 and beer 30p pint.

But aren't we playing the main game against Skonto Riga on Saturday the eighth?

With the main game being on Saturday the 8th i've been pricing up some flights to do the Friday - Sunday, little bit more expensive (approx £150), hopefully we'll take a few out there as it's been years since city had a few games in europe!....remember how many we took to pisa in the anglo italian!

About 200 wasn't it? :dunno:

One bloke got injured falling off a high wall and one female fan was run over.

That's about all i remember, we lost didn't we?

But aren't we playing the main game against Skonto Riga on Saturday the eighth?

If so it would be easy enough to get back to Bristol for the World Cup Final the next day? :dunno:

Anyone know the best place to fly from, how long it takes, how far the Stadium is from the airport etc.

I'm definitely warming to the idea of watching City in Europe. :city:

not sure, not been myself, but i know some lads from colchester who go out there all the time for those two reasons alone, throw a couple of city games in and we're on to a right winner!!

they reckon the nightclubs are lively too, all the baltic boys are bang into their house music apparently.

SO you'll be able to spend your money on booze and women...then waste the rest watching City? :whistle:

Taken from Skonto's official website

"Skonto futbolisti otrajā draudzības spēlē Anglijā ar 1:3 (0:2) zaudēja Latvijas valstsvienības bijušā galvenā trenera Gerija Džonsona vadītajai Bristol City. Skontiešiem vienīgos vārtus mačā izskaņā pēc soda sitiena guva Aleksejs Višņakovs"

I guess they mean Gary Johnson :laugh:

I booked flights last night. £84 from Gatwick. We fly out on Thusday 6 return Wednesday 12 so we'll see both Riga matches and watch the World Cup final over there.

I think the ground is quite central. A friend of mine saw the Riga derby last year and said that admission was a couple of quid with beers being 80p in the ground.

The Airport is 15 kms from Riga itself.

On the wireless this morning, it was announced that we're off to Latvia on tour this summer. Anyone else know anything about this? Not on the main site as yet. GJ's contacts have ensured we have a few games including Skonto Riga. I would guess that the trip may also be used as a scouting mission to see if a few bargains can't be picked up.

Anyone actually going to go?

Great News as was planning a trrip out around eastern europe, this will top it off. Bring it on :city:

Archived