IGNORED

Ashton Gate

ciderup

Excuse my stupidity as I should know the answer to this.

While I was on holiday, a Wolves fan asked me where the name Ashton Gate came from. I came out with the standard gate to the old city story which I believed to be true. I have been told the old city wall went nowhere near as far out as the gate so,where did the name Ashton Gate come from?

Does anyone know the real answer?

Thanks.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

1894 Bristol South formed (us) playing in St Johns Lane

1900 merge with Bedminster F.C who play their footie at Ashton Gate

Ashton Gate is a football ground in the Area of Ashton, near Ashton parks, gate :whistle::shifty:

1894 Bristol South formed (us) playing in St Johns Lane

1900 merge with Bedminster F.C who play their footie at Ashton Gate

Ashton Gate is a football ground in the Area of Ashton, near Ashton parks, gate :whistle::shifty:

Ashton Gate is the name of the area. I Live in Ashton Vale, you also have Ashton and by Ashton Park is called Ashton Gate....simple as that really.

MM

Excuse my stupidity as I should know the answer to this.

While I was on holiday, a Wolves fan asked me where the name Ashton Gate came from. I came out with the standard gate to the old city story which I believed to be true. I have been told the old city wall went nowhere near as far out as the gate so,where did the name Ashton Gate come from?

Does anyone know the real answer?

Thanks.

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I believe the original city walls were much nearer the city centre. The earliest settlement based around the rivers Frome and Avon, hence the original name of Brigstowe.

End of History Lesson!

Ashton gate the area is named after the tollgate/house at the end of ashton Rd (the round one) which was the tollgate to and from the city. Ash could be a reference to a tree and ton is a fortified hill settlement I believe.

And a gate is a gemstone. It's a form of quartz related to Amethyst and Citrine :dance:

IPB Image

citrine sounds like latrine,a stone is heavy and hard which you throw at someone in quartz and they fall in the latrine where they belong. :chant6ez:

Arsenal are so jealous of the name, they tried pinching it for the replacement Highbury;

ASH bur TON G rov E

But when you consider it's called the Emirates stadium then it doesn't really add up. Ashburton grove is the area where the stadium is.

I believe the original city walls were much nearer the city centre. The earliest settlement based around the rivers Frome and Avon, hence the original name of Brigstowe.

End of History Lesson!

Sorry, but why is a settlement based around the Rivers Frome and Avon called Brigstowe?

Sorry, but why is a settlement based around the Rivers Frome and Avon called Brigstowe?

because the anglo saxon word for brigde is 'brig' and stowe is anglo saxon meaning 'the place of', hence, 'place of the bridge' = brigstowe which became bristol.

and while I'm on a roll ... the word 'avon' comes from the old welsh 'afon' = river.

when i was younger i always wondered around the ground looking for what i expeceted to be 2 huge gates somewhere. tbf we do have a lot of gates surrounding the ground

When I was very little, I apparently asked my dad where we would play if we were promoted to the (old)1st division. :blush: I think it was because every 1st division club was a long way away, so in my childs mind it meant that we had to move to another City if we were promoted. Kids eh! aaaawwww...

When I was very little, I apparently asked my dad where we would play if we were promoted to the (old)1st division. :blush: I think it was because every 1st division club was a long way away, so in my childs mind it meant that we had to move to another City if we were promoted. Kids eh! aaaawwww...

And for years I thought it was ASHTON Villa !

because the anglo saxon word for brigde is 'brig' and stowe is anglo saxon meaning 'the place of', hence, 'place of the bridge' = brigstowe which became bristol.

and while I'm on a roll ... the word 'avon' comes from the old welsh 'afon' = river.

Thats still a fully functioning Welsh word mate.

Archived