IGNORED

Investment Goes To Swindle

Rich

why are swindon able to attract higher profile members willng to invest quite large sums in a one horse towns two bit football club, while we struggle on with only two directors of which one is the chairman,and then it really rubs salt in the wounds when you realise sir seton wills is none other than a member of the wills family that used south Bristol as the base to make their fortune and then he takes it up the road and gives it to them. We get a car showroom as our sponsers they get building societies. Is something wrong with our commercial dept? :grr:

Damn good question. If nothing else then the quality of our stadium should make us a better bet. No local competition in the catchment area unlike Swindle with Reading just up the road. Is there any way of getting that question in The Gatepost or asked by the FCF or something? Don't expect much of an answer but it would be good to highlight it

Possibly one of the reasons is that there's only 1 team in swindon? I believe business' can be reluctant to support either of the bristol teams as it alienates the fans of the other?

As for attracting big names, yes, you have to hand it to them they do that well. They haven't been able to sustain any periods of success, have financial troubles and don't own their ground though. And, still , I'm glad I'm a City fan not a swindon one.

Possibly one of the reasons is that there's only 1 team in swindon? I believe business' can be reluctant to support either of the bristol teams as it alienates the fans of the other?

As for attracting big names, yes, you have to hand it to them they do that well. They haven't been able to sustain any periods of success, have financial troubles and don't own their ground though. And, still , I'm glad I'm a City fan not a swindon one.

If business uses the excuse of not wanting to alienate one set of fans they're just taking the easy option and don't really want to promote their business,how have they managed to get around this in Manchester ,Liverpool,Sheffield,Nottingham where arguably they would alienate even more fans

than here.I know big business has invested in rugby locally without alienating fans so they must be targeted more vigorously and shown the error of thier ways , after all the coverage of football dwarfes that of the odd shaped ball game and would prove a wiser investment in the long run even with minimal success.

Power is here because of Devlin (QPR link, not STFC really).

Nationwide sponsor us because their HQ is in Swindon. They also sponsor two other teams where they have HQ's (Northampton and one other).

We don't own the ground but it's on a large plot that has some development potential if the Council can be persuaded - that equals a bit of interest.

Macari was brought in by Lowndes Lambert Group, the then club sponsor, who insisted on a big name Manager. I suppose he did so well that we managed to attract Ardiles and Hoddle. Evans and Ruddock were lured by property developers who splashed a bit of cash for a while (not their own mind, the just ran up huge debt for the club).

You own your own ground but hasn't that recently been split into a different holding company? that opens up the problem Oxford now have and Wrexham did have. That would concern me. However, I'd reckon your Chairman has put in more cash than our's over the years, it's just that you spend it more quickly than we do with a much bigger wage bill to fund than ours - and how that has shown for us this season.

It could be that assorted big businesses invest in Swindle so as to make a loss in part of their firm and gain tax relief for the entire concern.

In the 69/70 season (before shirt sponsorship etc) Harry Dolman wrote to BAC, Wills, Harveys, Frys and various Bristol firms for financial support for City. He pointed out it would be a fine advertisment for the firm and many of their employees were City fans so it would engender better working relationships. I still have the programme in my collection where he stated he received back a total of £141.00.

Archived