IGNORED

Andy Johnson To Wigan

KevinC

If he wanted premiership football that much he could have done better than go to Wigan Athletic, who seem to be offloading their want away (and arguably their best) players.

He hasn't signed as yet but 8 million has been agreed between the clubs.

If he wanted premiership football that much he could have done better than go to Wigan Athletic, who seem to be offloading their want away (and arguably their best) players.

He hasn't signed as yet but 8 million has been agreed between the clubs.

i think that some other team will also offer 8 million aswell, and he'll go to that team

I haven't heard any other clubs making any bids so far though, but all credit to Wigan if they get him.

i think that some other team will also offer 8 million aswell, and he'll go to that team

I haven't heard any other clubs making any bids so far though, but all credit to Wigan if they get him.

I heard that both Bolton and Everton made bids of around 6/7 million which were both rejected.

Palace should have sold last season to be honest, They would have got more like 10 million and wouldn't have had to pay a extra year wages nor the signing on fee when he signed the new contract and to be honest hewas kinda cack the season just gone.

Despite having an excellent manager and a rich chairman, Wigan have no long term future at the top in my view. They have low crowds, they're virtually unmarketable, and they're sandwiched in between Liverpool and Manchester which means they can't win the competition for floating fans or the best young local talent.

Wigan did excellently in their first season in the top division make no mistake, but I just can't see them maintaining that over say the next 3 to 5 years.

If Johnson really believes he's good enough to make it in the Prem than he should tell Simon Jordan to do one and pick a more suitable team to go to.

Despite having an excellent manager and a rich chairman, Wigan have no long term future at the top in my view. They have low crowds, they're virtually unmarketable, and they're sandwiched in between Liverpool and Manchester which means they can't win the competition for floating fans or the best young local talent.

Wigan did excellently in their first season in the top division make no mistake, but I just can't see them maintaining that over say the next 3 to 5 years.

If Johnson really believes he's good enough to make it in the Prem than he should tell Simon Jordan to do one and pick a more suitable team to go to.

Agree with this, I was surprised to learn Johnson was joining Wigan, expecially when he had the likes of Liverpool sniffing about him last season.

I think they should have sold him then, but the Palace chairman is a little amature for this game, i remember seeing him in an interveiw insisting Johnson was going nowhere for any amount of money, Oh how a little spell in the championship can change peoples arrogance :laugh:

Good luck anyway Johnson, he reminds me of our Brooker ;)

I heard that both Bolton and Everton made bids of around 6/7 million which were both rejected.

Palace should have sold last season to be honest, They would have got more like 10 million and wouldn't have had to pay a extra year wages nor the signing on fee when he signed the new contract and to be honest hewas kinda cack the season just gone.

Yeah - selling a player for 8 million who cost £750,000 and 17 goals whilst pushing Palace into a playoff position is kinda cack...

What a waste of money. Wigan is about his standard. He will be found out by referees in the Prem soon enough then his 7/8 goals a season will not seem such good value for money. The fact that he gets close to the England squad is laughable.

What a waste of money. Wigan is about his standard. He will be found out by referees in the Prem soon enough then his 7/8 goals a season will not seem such good value for money. The fact that he gets close to the England squad is laughable.

Am I wrong in thinking he wasn't 'found out' the season before last?

Heskey got loads of free kicks and pens, then all of a sudden as soon as he had a reputation for diving they dried up. Andy Johnson dives all over the shop and as soon as he gets that reputation he will rightly be denied all those penalties.

He will be found out by referees in the Prem soon enough then his 7/8 goals a season will not seem such good value for money. The fact that he gets close to the England squad is laughable.

The idea that Johnson dives is a fallacy. He is STUPID quick and gets fouled. That's the truth. If you have the misfortune of having a brother who supports Palace he will point this out and unfortunately it's one thing I totally agree with him on.

If you looked at his penalties one by one I would say that pretty much every single one was a penalty. He had one game against Norwich at Selhurst Park where I admit he went down easily but even in that case he was clipped and so it was still a penalty. The 'Johnson is a diver' thing only came about because Steve Bruce who hates Palace opened his gob and said so and people looked at the stats and said "yup, Bruce must be right" without looking at the penalties!

England standard? Yes...probably. £8.5m? A little high I think- maybe £6-7m.

The stats say he is good enough-

05-06: 17 goals in 35 games

04-05: 21 goals in 38 games (Prem season in a relegated team)

03-04: 32 goals in 47 games

Certainly compare to Walcott who has never played or scored in the Prem and scored just 4 in 13 games in the Championship.

There are limits to his ability- his game relies on his pace and getting behind a defence. Not so easy at international standard and against teams who will play their back line deeper. Personally I prefer Defoe- I think he can produce more in front of the defence than Johnson can. Worth taking to maybe throw on when unable to break a defence down (esp if tiring)? Definitely.

Johnson has played about one and a half games for England I think. For one he was stuck out of position. In the other (vs USA) he won the free kick that Richardson scored and I think may have had something to do with the other as well. If I were Sven I would have taken Defoe AND Johnson and left Walcott and a midfielder at home.

The idea that Johnson dives is a fallacy. He is STUPID quick and gets fouled. That's the truth. If you have the misfortune of having a brother who supports Palace he will point this out and unfortunately it's one thing I totally agree with him on.

If you looked at his penalties one by one I would say that pretty much every single one was a penalty. He had one game against Norwich at Selhurst Park where I admit he went down easily but even in that case he was clipped and so it was still a penalty.

Just because there is contact it is not a penalty. I have seen a lot of the decisions that have been given for him and as soon as there is contact he goes down. He is an excellent diver and a cheat, it is a stupid perception that if there is contact then it is penalty because players like Johnson go looking for it and then people like Andy Gray in their infinate wisdom start saying its part of the modern game, when in reality they are dirty little cheats.

In the majority of his penalties contact is usually light and such that there is no real need to go down.

He also has a declining goal scoring ratio over the past three years.

Just because there is contact it is not a penalty.

He also has a declining goal scoring ratio over the past three years.

Johnson's pens are normally clips of the heel. They may look slight on TV but if running flat out and your foot is taken away then you're going to fall. Of course not all contact means a penalty- if you get the ball then fine- thing is more often than not with Johnson the ball's a yard ahead and Johnson is past the player and on to it. He's too quick for many defenders and they take him and are nowhere near the ball. If you don't get the ball then any contact has to be so minimal as not to push or trip him up, unless the ball is within playing distance of the player in which case he can obviously block.

He doesn't make a meal of a pen by rolling around five times or screaming for a pen. He falls and gets back up.

He doesn't make a meal of a pen by rolling around five times or screaming for a pen. He falls and gets back up.

He leaves his leg behind him waiting for the contact, it looks like he has been fouled, but he plays for it, he also has a very good diving technique that Scott Murray and co could learn from because there is often contact when he goes down, it just looks pathetic when he dives. The fact that he doesn't roll around makes it look like he doesn't dive, but at the end of the day he cheats and plays for penalties which is ungentlemanly. There are a lot of faster players than Johnson that don't get penalties becasue they don't play for them. Johnson is a cheat and plays for penalties.

top Prem scorer so far.

6 goals already. No penalties (well, except when he was rugby tackled in the area and it wasn't given).

I'm right, you're wrong. Any questions?

:razz:

Heskey got loads of free kicks and pens, then all of a sudden as soon as he had a reputation for diving they dried up. Andy Johnson dives all over the shop and as soon as he gets that reputation he will rightly be denied all those penalties.

Ho-hum.

top Prem scorer so far.

6 goals already. No penalties (well, except when he was rugby tackled in the area and it wasn't given).

I'm right, you're wrong. Any questions?

5 weeks on and still only 6 goals. Not going so well for that cheating diver now then is it.

Two games in a week for Johnson and no goals to show for it. That is now 1 goal in Twelve games for Englands top striker.

I am starting to think he might even be worse than Lee Peacock at scoring goals.

The cheat has been found out pretty quickly this season. Just make a bee-line for the box then topple over.

:juggle:

Agree with this, I was surprised to learn Johnson was joining Wigan, expecially when he had the likes of Liverpool sniffing about him last season.

I think they should have sold him then, but the Palace chairman is a little amature for this game, i remember seeing him in an interveiw insisting Johnson was going nowhere for any amount of money, Oh how a little spell in the championship can change peoples arrogance :laugh:

Good luck anyway Johnson, he reminds me of our Brooker ;)

Yeah i know what you mean. Brooks is better though not that I'm biased ;)

Archived