IGNORED

Settle The Score

Mikenoski

I have been reading posts on here about our new striker and quite a few are saying that he is a terrible signing (without having watched him play!!!)....and also sentiments that GJ possibly has poor judgment based on this signing as well as Bas Savage.

I want to get one thing straight....

There will always be mixed opinion on Bas Savages individual ability, but due to his effectivness in a team and his work rate he played a large part in turning City's last season around.

I'm not asking people to start becoming Bas Savage fans, I'm just saying that GJ's judgement of the player was right as he was brought in to do a job which he managed to do successfully.

I am convinced that some of the so called City "fans" on here moan for the sake of moaning.

If it all goes wrong, as it has done in the past, then feel free to resume your negative ramblings..... in the mean time, shut up and enjoy the Gary Johnson revolution. :city:

I have been reading posts on here about our new striker and quite a few are saying that he is a terrible signing (without having watched him play!!!)....and also sentiments that GJ possibly has poor judgment based on this signing as well as Bas Savage.

There will always be mixed opinion on Bas Savages individual ability, but due to his effectivness in a team and his work rate he played a large part in turning City's last season around.

I'm not asking people to start becoming Bas Savage fans, I'm just saying that GJ's judgement of the player was right as he was brought in to do a job which he managed to do successfully.

I am convinced that some of the so called City "fans" on here moan for the sake of moaning.

If it all goes wrong, as it has done in the past, then feel free to resume your negative ramblings..... in the mean time, shut up and enjoy the Gary Johnson revolution. :city:

Gary Johnson worked wonders last season and, due to the situation he found when he came here, he had to take a lot of risks (bringing in whatever loanees he could get, confronting the 'personalities', dropping the 'stars', etc). Bazir was a bit of a joke form time to time, but he did a job with 100% commitment. he was part of the turn-around that saw GJ doing his best with what he had until he had a chance to get some new players in this summer. Good man. He'll take us up either this coming season or the one after.

Spot on sir!

Wow I actually agree with you, but also, I`ve seen this bloke play and he`s actaully pretty good!

everyone knows bas had the footballing ability of a tree, but he was effective and did a short-term job, and now he's gone we've replaced him with a slightly longer term player who most likely will have a similar effect as bas, but has a bit more technical ability

I also want to get one thing straight. This post is your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It certainly isn't fact, it's entirely open to debate and just because some people disagree with you does not mean they moan for the sake of moaning.

My opinion is that Savage was a poor footballer who contributed little other than running around alot and that the team did well in spite of his inclusion rather than because of it, and that including him in the side over Stewart was a poor decision.

We will never know what would have happened had a different player been selected, so you can't present your opinion as shining fact and anyone who disagrees as negative ramblings.

I think the space Bas created for others by his movement "off the ball" suggested that he had at the very least a football brain. If any of our signings are capable of doing similar AND are better on the ball then we will be better off.

I also want to get one thing straight. This post is your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It certainly isn't fact, it's entirely open to debate and just because some people disagree with you does not mean they moan for the sake of moaning.

My opinion is that Savage was a poor footballer who contributed little other than running around alot and that the team did well in spite of his inclusion rather than because of it, and that including him in the side over Stewart was a poor decision.

We will never know what would have happened had a different player been selected, so you can't present your opinion as shining fact and anyone who disagrees as negative ramblings.

This is the reply I was expecting and exactly the poster I was expecting it from.

I am not debating Savages ability - As you say everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If you read the post again I have said that GJ's judgement was and is sound and that is NOT based just on opinion but on form. YOUR OPINION that we would have done better with Stewart in the side is pure speculation...and THAT is somthing that we will never know.

If you read the post again I have said that GJ's judgement was and is sound and that is NOT based just on opinion but on form. YOUR OPINION that we would have done better with Stewart in the side is pure speculation...and THAT is somthing that we will never know.

Don't be silly.

You think GJ judgement was sound, that's as much of an opinion as mine that in that instance he was wrong.

Your argument is based on the form of the team. I can and have previously made a coherent argument based on other facts like Savage's goal record compared to Stewart's.

Just because your opinion is based on facts doesn't make it fact, so's mine and it isn't fact either.

Don't be silly.

You think GJ judgement was sound, that's as much of an opinion as mine that in that instance he was wrong.

Your argument is based on the form of the team. I can and have previously made a coherent argument based on other facts like Savage's goal record compared to Stewart's.

Just because your opinion is based on facts doesn't make it fact, so's mine and it isn't fact either.

....but GJ chose the in form team using his sound judgment. Your stats are not a fair reflection of how each individual would have dealt with different scenarios that arose in particular games.

For me, it's pretty safe to assume that with MS in the side instead of Bas/McCammon our record wouldn't have been any better. We only lost 4 games in that period, and one of those was meaningless at Southend and we still played well.

Football is a team game, and without MS in the side we were a better team.

Managers are judged on results, again with MS not in the side our results were excellent.

Those are two points (near facts some might say!) that are very difficult to argue with.

For me, it's pretty safe to assume that with MS in the side instead of Bas/McCammon our record wouldn't have been any better. We only lost 4 games in that period, and one of those was meaningless at Southend and we still played well.

Football is a team game, and without MS in the side we were a better team.

Managers are judged on results, again with MS not in the side our results were excellent.

Those are two points (near facts some might say!) that are very difficult to argue with.

For me, its pretty safe to assume that Nibor will argue those points (Facts). I don't know how he can....but no doubt he'll enlighten us all with his far superior knowledge of the game.

For me, its pretty safe to assume that Nibor will argue those points (Facts). I don't know how he can....but no doubt he'll enlighten us all with his far superior knowledge of the game.

I'm not getting into the whole Savage debate again, if you really want to read why I think selecting him was wrong then use the search facility.

I'm merely correcting your lack of understanding about the difference between a fact and an opinion.

I'm not getting into the whole Savage debate again, if you really want to read why I think selecting him was wrong then use the search facility.

I'm merely correcting your lack of understanding about the difference between a fact and an opinion.

Nibor, I'm surprised you keep arguing this. Whilst I did used to think along those lines I have now come to realise after spending so much time on this forum that the opinion of the majority is in fact a fact whilst the opinion of the minority is trouble-stirring, pessimistic, moaning speculation.

Nibor, I'm surprised you keep arguing this. Whilst I did used to think along those lines I have now come to realise after spending so much time on this forum that the opinion of the majority is in fact a fact whilst the opinion of the minority is trouble-stirring, pessimistic, moaning speculation.

:laugh:

I stand corrected. I like how your argument supports itself, since clearly the majority agree with it so it must be fact eh? I think I'm finally getting the hang of this.

I'm NOT debating Savages ability...that is down to opinion.

I'm saying that GJ's judgment proved to be sound because the selections he made resulted in better performances and results.

I'll repeat that again in the hope that you'll read it this time...

I'm saying that GJ's judgment proved to be sound because the selections he made resulted in better performances and results.

Guest James Williams

As is your opinion, but in this case you are wriong.

...........And you're not trying to enlighten us with yours ?

I don't claim to know everything or to have any kind of authority on football related discussions.

Again, if you read my original post, I am stating that GJ's judgment is sound based on form and results..... I just don't see how that fact can be reasonably argued against.

I'll repeat that again in the hope that you'll read it this time...

You can repeat it another 500 times for all I care. It's still an opinion.

You're just having trouble with English.

You can repeat it another 500 times for all I care. It's still an opinion.

You're just having trouble with English.

Ok well I'm happy to try and learn.

Please tell me oh wise one - Based on form and results what were GJ's ill-founded decisions?? Facts and not opinion please or I'll never learn.

Ok well I'm happy to try and learn.

A fact doesn't change and can't be argued.

An opinion does and can.

The results in the second half of the season are facts. A judgement you make based on them is an opinion.

Does that make the difference clearer to you?

I imagine if GJ picks Phillips up front, Stewart in goal and loses the first 10 games of the season by more than 5 goals after selling Brooker to the gas for 50p and a packet of crisps your opinion will still be that his judgement is sound?

Please tell me oh wise one - Based on form and results what were GJ's ill-founded decisions?? Facts and not opinion please or I'll never learn.

Like I said, use the search facility.

I don't claim to know everything or to have any kind of authority on football related discussions.

Again, if you read my original post, I am stating that GJ's judgment is sound based on form and results..... I just don't see how that fact can be reasonably argued against.

The results are facts. That GJ's judgment is sound is pure and simple hypothesis. For the uneducated out there (and there seem to be one or two amongst us) a hypothesis is an educated guess.

Try

pl. hy·poth·e·ses (-sz)

A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.

Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

The antecedent of a conditional statement.

Try

pl. hy·poth·e·ses (-sz)

A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.

Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

The antecedent of a conditional statement.

Thanks, I think 'investigation' is the key word.

Still, I'm sure 'an educated guess' was a sound enough definition for all the 9-11 year olds who read the forum.

An opinion does and can.

The results in the second half of the season are facts. A judgement you make based on them is an opinion.

I imagine if GJ picks Phillips up front, Stewart in goal and loses the first 10 games of the season by more than 5 goals after selling Brooker to the gas for 50p and a packet of crisps your opinion will still be that his judgement is sound?

I cant believe I'm allowing myself to get wound up by your ridiculously silly comments.

GJ CHOSE THE TEAM THAT GOT THE RESULTS - HIS JUDGEMENT OF THOSE PLAYERS WAS CORRECT AS THOSE PLAYERS PERFORMED AND GOT DECENT RESULTS.

If GJ had done as you have said above and we had lost 10 games...I couldnt possibly argue that he has sound judgement BASED ON RESULTS.

An opinion does and can.

I cant believe I'm allowing myself to get wound up by your ridiculously silly comments.

GJ CHOSE THE TEAM THAT GOT THE RESULTS - HIS JUDGEMENT OF THOSE PLAYERS WAS CORRECT AS THOSE PLAYERS PERFORMED AND GOT DECENT RESULTS.

If GJ had done as you have said above and we had lost 10 games...I couldnt possibly argue that he has sound judgement BASED ON RESULTS.

Thanks, I think 'investigation' is the key word.

Still, I'm sure 'an educated guess' was a sound enough definition for all the 9-11 year olds who read the forum.

Read the definition again. I think you'll find that 'an educated guess' is a perfectly adequate definition of 'hypothesis' for the purposes of this forum. If you want me to go into a detailed explanation of the scientific method I will do but I'm sure that it will bore most people rigid.

Archived