IGNORED

Is It More

robins72

Ok so heres the scenario. Your at work and you get an agry customer who tries to abuse you not physically but mentally and starts making racial and threatening remarks.

Would you A Get shirty and shout and swear back or B Take it on the chin?

I just begin to wonder sometimes why people in the service industry have to take such abusive flack from people. Do we get paid such vast amounts that we should accept it? HAve you ever abused a member of staff or been abused?

Ok so heres the scenario. Your at work and you get an agry customer who tries to abuse you not physically but mentally and starts making racial and threatening remarks.

I just begin to wonder sometimes why people in the service industry have to take such abusive flack from people. Do we get paid such vast amounts that we should accept it? HAve you ever abused a member of staff or been abused?

It's all entertainment in't it. I used to work in one of them massive call centres and got a call one day from a bloke effing and Jeffing cos they'd taken a grand out of his account for no reason. Understandably he was pished off but all I could do to not swear back at him was laugh, which didn't really help matters, but the fact is, it gave me something to talk about for the rest of the day and did lighten up an otherwise dreary day. You've gotta take it on the chin, it's the same with having fun at work - you're not really having fun, everyone has a 'work' laugh which is just false - that's the point, none of it is personal as you're not being the real you, so just think nothing of it and if you ever meet that person when you're in normal clothes, give em a funking ear full!

It's all entertainment in't it. I used to work in one of them massive call centres and got a call one day from a bloke effing and Jeffing cos they'd taken a grand out of his account for no reason. Understandably he was pished off but all I could do to not swear back at him was laugh, which didn't really help matters, but the fact is, it gave me something to talk about for the rest of the day and did lighten up an otherwise dreary day. You've gotta take it on the chin, it's the same with having fun at work - you're not really having fun, everyone has a 'work' laugh which is just false - that's the point, none of it is personal as you're not being the real you, so just think nothing of it and if you ever meet that person when you're in normal clothes, give em a funking ear full!

BEing in a call centre is easy compared to being in the face of a customer. I once got attacked by a drug addict she was literally going for my throat and where were the police when you need them? About an hour later they turned up said drug addict had fled the branch. Not a nice experience I can tell you.

Guest DrFaustus

BEing in a call centre is easy compared to being in the face of a customer. I once got attacked by a drug addict she was literally going for my throat and where were the police when you need them? About an hour later they turned up said drug addict had fled the branch. Not a nice experience I can tell you.

Not making light of your crap day Lisa, but they'd have to be high on drugs to dare to take you on :D

Not making light of your crap day Lisa, but they'd have to be high on drugs to dare to take you on :D

Yeah well it did scare me for a long time like walking down the high street and getting to my card. Why should people threaten others? Were only doing our jobs?

I hate racists too no need for it whatever colour you are is irrelivant really gets my goat :ranting:

You should never be subject to abuse, you are only trying to do your job.

The majority of my job entails that I do technical support for our software, now that means I spend a large propotion of the time on the phone to clients. Occasionally we do get the abusive characters. I've simply learnt that its not worth arguing with them. I do one of two things, I put it through the clients account manager who is also a director of the company and therefore a higher level, or simply I hang up.

That sinerio I guess is easier because 90% of the time, I'm not meeting people face to face. I also do alot of training around the country training clients how to use the software and a few times I've been subject to it and its uncomfortable, very uncomfortable.

When I worked at Dave & Busters, I used to have to deal with drunken characters who had problems with the games. My god that was something you couldn't teach anyone how to learn to deal with.

I have respect for the likes of the police and co who have to deal with that sort of character every weekend...

If I couldnt punch the ####, i'd certainly grass the forker up. It aint big or clever............

C Punch angry customer in throat.

You work in a bank don't you robins?

Surely the drug addict's assault was caught on CCTV?

You work in a bank don't you robins?

Surely the drug addict's assault was caught on CCTV?

YEah that was 5 years ago. Still haunts me though you should never be subjected to such abuse. It just gets me how some customers can get so abusive wonder if they would like the same done to them?

YEah that was 5 years ago. Still haunts me though you should never be subjected to such abuse. It just gets me how some customers can get so abusive wonder if they would like the same done to them?

I've always found that the people being abusive react very poorly to me shouting back. Their only really spoiling for a fight.

The most satisfying way that I have dealt with them is to be pure jolly! People don't seem to be able to shout at someone who goes OTT to make them happy and they can't complain about you to your boss and your boss can't moan at you. It normally leaves them walking away with an enourmous lack of the self gratifying feeling that they came in for.

Alternatively line up a new job and moan back to your hearts content!

I have been abused, threatened and bullied in my job. Hard to believe that a Vicar gets all that but it's true. The bullying comes from members of my church believe it or not, had me off for three months with depression last year.

Had teenagers throwing stones at me in my last parish, that wasn't much fun. A priest nearby was stabbed to death a few years ago, others have been mugged and otherwise attacked in their homes.

Am not saying that my job's any tougher than anyone else's, but it certainly has its moments.

I have been abused, threatened and bullied in my job. Hard to believe that a Vicar gets all that but it's true. The bullying comes from members of my church believe it or not, had me off for three months with depression last year.

Had teenagers throwing stones at me in my last parish, that wasn't much fun. A priest nearby was stabbed to death a few years ago, others have been mugged and otherwise attacked in their homes.

Am not saying that my job's any tougher than anyone else's, but it certainly has its moments.

Did you try punching them in the face? God would appreciate the irony I'm sure!

Unfortunately that would get me the sack

I think its really hard to keep your cool when a customer is in your face shouting at you. Its so intimidating and upsetting. We have panic alarms but I still feel that people shouldnt bully staff like that. I would never do that to someone in a public place.

Unfortunately that would get me the sack

How do they expect you to deal with blasphemers if you can't invoke some of God's wrath every now and then? Time for you guys to be armed and deliver some gunishment!

What do you mean? Booed maybe but not threatened.

He was verbally abused in his work place tbf, sorry though, I was only joking/making light of the issue really.

There was a girl, a friend of mine who was bullied in my job about this time last year by two lads, all three have now moved on, needless to say it wasn't nice. For her the job was most definately not more than it was worth. Bullies are insecure cowards, attack is the best form of defence.

We suffer from snobbery from the customers more than anything in my place of work.

One of my brother's was robbed at knive point whilst working in a petrol garage, I think the robber was bought to justice, he was shaken up at the time though.

My Ma is a health visitor and she gets threatened and verbally abused from time to time.

Very true, must have been difficult for you, but at least you know with a skaghead that they have literally no body strength and if it did come down to blows it would be like fighting your way out of a bag of chips. It's bad how desperate people get, but ultimately you can look down on them, as they are scum, and you are just doing your job. People that give you abuse whilst you are working are scum, I honestly beleive that, basically, if they can't appreciate that you are just doing your job, then as people, they're not worth the time of day, so if you can't tell them to funk off, you can certaintly with body language and subtlety.

C Punch angry customer in throat.

In the throat? What the funk is that going to do? Hardly the advise of Mr Miyagi there!

How do they expect you to deal with blasphemers if you can't invoke some of God's wrath every now and then? Time for you guys to be armed and deliver some gunishment!

:laugh: Really really insensitive but funny none the less.

I wear steel toecapped boots, perhaps I should make good use of them. Unfortunately that would get me the sack and the front pages of the News of the Screws.

In the throat? What the funk is that going to do? Hardly the advise of Mr Miyagi there!

Are you for real?! A successful throat punch is almost guaranteed to incapacitate someone, it's devastating if you can pull it off. It also has the added advantage of making them unable to speak for a good five minutes. If you don't believe get someone to try it on you! :devil:

There are few problems in this world that can't be solved adequately by throat punches. Usually it's just a case of finding the person who needs one.

I wear steel toecapped boots, perhaps I should make good use of them. Unfortunately that would get me the sack and the front pages of the News of the Screws.

Don't worry, we can always start a "Free RevKev" campaign (aka "The Wigan One")

Don't worry, we can always start a "Free RevKev" campaign (aka "The Wigan One")

Fame at last.................................

Would there be a campaign concert in Ashton Park, maybe headlining the Wurzels??

Are you for real?! A successful throat punch is almost guaranteed to incapacitate someone, it's devastating if you can pull it off. It also has the added advantage of making them unable to speak for a good five minutes. If you don't believe get someone to try it on you! :devil:

There are few problems in this world that can't be solved adequately by throat punches. Usually it's just a case of finding the person who needs one.

:laugh:

I've been hit on the adams apple before and it is sore, and it leaves you a bit voiceless, but it's hardly as effective as a good ol headbutt! Or a brick in a bag as I've seen used by 1 women vs a load of bouncers in Brannigans :o Just think that in a real situation to try and punch someone in the throat would make you look like a fanny, not you, personally, I mean in general, it's not as immpresive as a one of them palm punches that Mr Miyagi did teach!

:laugh:

I've been hit on the adams apple before and it is sore, and it leaves you a bit voiceless, but it's hardly as effective as a good ol headbutt! Or a brick in a bag as I've seen used by 1 women vs a load of bouncers in Brannigans :o Just think that in a real situation to try and punch someone in the throat would make you look like a fanny, not you, personally, I mean in general, it's not as immpresive as a one of them palm punches that Mr Miyagi did teach!

Trust me, if you get it right they'll simply collapse gasping for breath. It's impressive, it's just difficult.

Hitting someone just below the solar plexus can have a similar effect but often leaves bruising.

Of course a headbutt's pretty effective but the problem there is blood, I'm assuming that at work you want to leave little evidence and pretend they're having some sort of fit ;)

Trust me, if you get it right they'll simply collapse gasping for breath. It's impressive, it's just difficult.

Hitting someone just below the solar plexus can have a similar effect but often leaves bruising.

Of course a headbutt's pretty effective but the problem there is blood, I'm assuming that at work you want to leave little evidence and pretend they're having some sort of fit ;)

Has it been a one of them Falling Down type of days?

Heh you want to try Tone's kill your boss website, sounds up your street! Where's the solar plexus? Pelvis? "There are 36 pressure points across the body" As taught to me by the Wu Tang, each one can be fatal! You can also do temporary paralasise, that would be very handy, surely there's a website to teach that?

Archived