IGNORED

Like To See More Asian Players

reliant_robin

i see lots of asian lads playing football in bradford.some definately have talent.I'm surprised club scouts don't check or give trials to these guys.many asian i talk to love football but feel they don't getmany chances in football and work generally.i cant think of many players at all playing in the football league .

i see lots of asian lads playing football in bradford.some definately have talent.I'm surprised club scouts don't check or give trials to these guys.many asian i talk to love football but feel they don't getmany chances in football and work generally.i cant think of many players at all playing in the football league .

I don't think its just down to talent, to become a pro footballer you need to be professional and commited aswell as have great ability.

I offen wonder why there are no Black F1 drivers, but again it's just a question of talent and having the right attitude.

I don't think its just down to talent, to become a pro footballer you need to be professional and commited aswell as have great ability.

I offen wonder why there are no Black F1 drivers, but again it's just a question of talent and having the right attitude.

As far as I'm aware, most F1 drivers come from very comfortable backgrounds, that's how they can afford to get involved. Because of the distribution of wealth, and tradition, ethnic minorities are therefore less likely to get involved in tennis (the Williams sisters a surprise package), golf (Woods was never poor) and F1.

On the flipside, you don't see a dominance of upper-middle class footballers and boxers (hence they are the sports I most relate to).

It's just a cultural thing, but occasionally you see certain sportsmen break the mould. Without Naseem Hamed in boxing, would we have Amir Khan (and, someday soon, his little brother)? If it weren't for Brendan Ingle basing his stable in Winkobank, a district of Sheffield with a large asian population, we might not have seen a single successful British muslim boxer. Let's not forget that to be a boxer, you need to be talented AND professional AND Committed, so there's no reason why asian footballers couldn't make it.

I know that Harpal Singh, a one-time Leeds trainee, went pro and was at Bradford last I heard. He was an exception. Hopefully his moderate success has spurred on some Asian youngsters.

The world cup showed that sport, and football in particular, can bring even the most conflicting cultures together in a positive way. That's something no politician could ever orchestrate.

Amir Khan has been a great symbol of young British muslims, and I hope to see an asian footballer have similar success as it would benefit everybody.

Guest Eamer
I know that Harpal Singh, a one-time Leeds trainee, went pro and was at Bradford last I heard. He was an exception. Hopefully his moderate success has spurred on some Asian youngsters.

didn't we have him on loan once?

Is it important? I want to see the best and most committed players BCFC can find, regardless of race, creed or religion.

It makes no difference who City sign - we all just want to see the best.

My concern is that the number of Asian footballers simply does not represent the number of Asians in the population. Bradford has a huge Asian population (as do other areas -Brum, Oldham etc etc) but at the most, one Asian player.

This matters because it shows that for some reason, our beautiful game which should be inclusive of everyone, simply isn't. We need to know why Asian people tend not to become footballers (or attend games) and address this issue. It is football's problem. I believe 9% of the population is non white as opposed to 5% of football fans. An illustration that even though black people are represented well on the pitch they still are not represented quite so well off the pitch.

During the Supporters Direct Midlands conference last Saturday, Darren Bernstein who is the Football Leagues Customer Service manager commented that he personally wondered whether the "Kick It Out" campaign had run its course and was now serving to put non white people off of going to football matches by insinuating that there is a problem with racism which needs to be "kicked out" when in fact, there probably isn't (at least not more than in general society that I have seen). Perhaps it is time to deliver a new, more inclusive message...

One game for all?

IF your good enough and intrested enough in any sport, you will make it too the top. Stuff all this crap about representing the community. I want to see the best players perform. People who are there on merit.

Do we really want a south africa situation where the rugby squad had to included a certain number of black players, regardless of talant.

If you go to arsenal you will see asians watching football. Maybe those that are uncomfortable being surronded by so many white people at football should go watch teams that have a larger ethnic following than city.

As mozo said, its a cultural thing. How many amatur rugby league teams do we have in the west country?

If people want to watch football they will go and watch it. The biggest problem in football is ticket prices, not lack of ethnic people watching or playing. In junior leagues you see plenty of "ethnic" kids. Intrests change as they get older though, same as everbody else.

Cricket in england is changing. More and more young english players of asian descent are coming into the game.

What does it matter who is playing on the pitch as long as they are good enough, and who honestley cares if they are sat next too someone of a different colur at football as long as they support the team?

In my first year of uni, i was watching the local news when something similar came up.

It was to try and enocurage more asian lads to play footy, so they set up an all-asian football team, of course, then with his came the 'these players are great and should be signed up by big clubs in future years', well, scouts from theWwolves, Birmingham, Aston Villa and WBA all came down to watch a few games. And the scouts said that none of them were good enough, they commented that it was good to see more involvement with regards to Asian players, but they shouldn't be given any special treatment just because they are a minority. It's what Hiltop said, it links to the South African rugby team.

Balls to representation, if they aint good enough, then why should they get a place ahead of those who are better?

But why is the focus on the Asian community, black people have done wonders for British sport over the years, Lennox Lewis, Denise Lewis, Kelly Holmes, Paul Ince. Why should the emphasis of sport integration just focus on Asian people?

In my first year of uni, i was watching the local news when something similar came up.

It was to try and enocurage more asian lads to play footy, so they set up an all-asian football team, of course, then with his came the 'these players are great and should be signed up by big clubs in future years', well, scouts from theWwolves, Birmingham, Aston Villa and WBA all came down to watch a few games. And the scouts said that none of them were good enough, they commented that it was good to see more involvement with regards to Asian players, but they shouldn't be given any special treatment just because they are a minority. It's what Hiltop said, it links to the South African rugby team.

Balls to representation, if they aint good enough, then why should they get a place ahead of those who are better?

But why is the focus on the Asian community, black people have done wonders for British sport over the years, Lennox Lewis, Denise Lewis, Kelly Holmes, Paul Ince. Why should the emphasis of sport integration just focus on Asian people?

The point of this thread is not that equal representation should be ENFORCED like in South african sport - nobody suggested that.

What is being discussed is that there must be REASONS for the lack of proportional representation.

You can say that you 'just want to see the best' but in doing so you won't find out the reasons why, culturally, some ethnic minorities, whom are a huge chunk of this nations inhabitants have not felt encouraged to succeed in our sport.

Let me tell you Danakin, why it IS important that Asian kids feel accomodated by football: because that would improve this country's pool of players. There may be a future England centre forward out there from an Asian community that, for whatever reason - and there could be many - doesn't find himself involved.

Beside that, it would be nice to see the beautiful game continue to bring together people of different backgrounds.

As for 'why should we focus on the Asian community'...the original post explained that. Their representation doesn't appear to be proportional, which is an interesting social phenomenon.

Is it important? I want to see the best and most committed players BCFC can find, regardless of race, creed or religion.

Spot on. you only have to see the state of south African sport with all its quota thing, to accept that. And They've realised it too, more importantly. Encourage, not legislate, please.

Anyone mentioned Monty Penasar (sp) in all this damn fine player, there on merit, in a sport Asians excel, BIG time! The first of many methinks.

Spot on. you only have to see the state of south African sport with all its quota thing, to accept that. And They've realised it too, more importantly. Encourage, not legislate, please.

Anyone mentioned Monty Penasar (sp) in all this damn fine player, there on merit, in a sport Asians excel, BIG time! The first of many methinks.

Um what about Nasser Hussain?

Archived