IGNORED

Parallel Universe?

Dollymarie

Ok so please bear with me for I am a little tipsy (I wish theyd put a breathalyser on this forum)

Was just reading the match report on the main site and it says (and I quote)

"It would be nice to see a big crowd turn up for that one (Southampton game) and allow the new boys to experience the Ashton Gate roar"

WHAT!?!?!?

God bless Gary Johnson but which Ashton Gate is he talking about?

Does anyone have any evidence of this "Roar?"

I do me best to make some noise at the Gate, but the last time I remember it "roaring" was when Roberts scored "that" goal.

And now I think I shall pop off to bed...... G'night jim bob, goodnight Mary Ellen etc etc

It used to be there- the season that we went up in 97/98 the crowd was consistently loud. If we could get back to those levels then it would be great, but as all football fans are, City fans are fickle and only really seem to get behind City consistently if we play virtually faultless football.

Ok so please bear with me for I am a little tipsy (I wish theyd put a breathalyser on this forum)

"It would be nice to see a big crowd turn up for that one (Southampton game) and allow the new boys to experience the Ashton Gate roar"

WHAT!?!?!?

To be honest

I do me best to make some noise at the Gate, but the last time I remember it "roaring" was when Roberts scored "that" goal.

And now I think I shall pop off to bed...... G'night jim bob, goodnight Mary Ellen etc etc

To be honest Marie, in the 70,s and early 80,s there was a lot more noise down at the Gate than there is now.

Your a tad to young to have witnessed that. When we were in the old the old 1st divi it was amazing and ofcourse we had our beloved east end

Obviously someone has been giving Gary Johnson Bristol City History lessons........Like so many others on here we thought the old Ashton Gate Roar was long gone.

The one thing that has always amazed me though in the 30+ years I've been going is why we can never manage more than about 2 run through's of "CITY, CITY, CI........." and then it just fades off, even at corners, the crowd anticipate something and get going with the "City" chant and before the corner has been taken the crowd are silent. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering this.

err, thought Colin Sexstone had banned noise, last I heard was 96/97 up in Dolman B. (apart from the brief opening of the EE a couple of years ago)

:disapointed2se: - Should never have built the Twatyeo.

:D

Those indeed where the days, remember they had those giant flags and a constant band and a bit of fire in the atmosphere? Bring those back. Introductions of 'family' enclosures and GWR stands brought it all into a dowbnhill spiral.... And crap football....

I think there still IS an Ashton Gate "roar" but is not heard often enough.

It's like a tiger. It will sit very quietly for ages but then when it does make some noise- it's damn loud. And by the "roar" I don't necessarily mean song but the noise when we suddenly have a great attack or chance can be really loud.

That is the frustrating thing- people WILL make noise but for some reason have to be stirred first.

To go over old ground again I think it comes down to two main reasons. Firstly- vocal support spread out (Atyeo E, Atyeo H, Williams E, Dolman A+B, Dolman G[?]) means that there's no one group to start some noise off and each group is too small and quiet to do much on its own (and often just drowns the other out). Secondly- the roof.

I remember last season when we were on that terrible losing run and Carey scored that own goal against Bradford (i think) at AG after we had all of the play that day. The crowd just turned and started getting behind the team...it was FANTASTIC and subsequently we went onto beat Huddersfield 2-0 the following game.

Sometimes it takes things to get to rock bottom before the AG faithful get behind the team. Unfortunately, the expectations of City are sometimes too high and people expect City to win everygame.

There are still hundreds of City fans who would love to get that old skool a/b block Dolman thing going again anywhere in the ground without the dark thoughts which would soon have the now mute ground reverberating.The thing is they [blansdown, Draisey & Sexton], or it is him [sexston] do not want it. This coming season it is going to get worse with the singers and chokers now wandering back to new and old seats in the Williams. Only a few weeks before Sexston is directing furiously his troups towards the e block of the Williams because some have dared to pipe up & support City with voices not debit cards, it's coming, believe it people with this lot of true fans at the helm the library it here to stay.

There are still hundreds of City fans who would love to get that old skool a/b block Dolman thing going again anywhere in the ground without the dark thoughts which would soon have the now mute ground reverberating.The thing is they [blansdown, Draisey & Sexton], or it is him [sexston] do not want it. This coming season it is going to get worse with the singers and chokers now wandering back to new and old seats in the Williams. Only a few weeks before Sexston is directing furiously his troups towards the e block of the Williams because some have dared to pipe up & support City with voices not debit cards, it's coming, believe it people with this lot of true fans at the helm the library it here to stay.

If I have read that correctly you seem to think that Lansdown, Sexstone, Draisey deliberately stop City fans from making noise. If that is the case then it's an utterly absurd comment.

I am positive that all three would love to hear Ashton Gate rocking.

The only difference between them and the average fan is that while people on message boards and in the stands can rant on and on about what unrealistic, illegal things that could make more noise- they have to actually be sensible about it.

They have to consider league rules, the police, licensing, council, general health and safety.

So yes- if many people are standing then they have to do something about it. It's not their rules. It's football league, licensing and the law!

If people are going over the top with swearing then yes- they have to consider it. We can't afford for people to not come because one person near them considers it necessary to say ###### c*** and w**ker every other word.

Nor can we afford to replace any damage to the stands or seats.

I'm glad they act responsibly so the club can actually move forward.

IF everyone in A and B Block Dolman (or anywhere in Ashton Gate) was to sing their hearts out all game for City and avoid standing then they would be delighted.

the roar is there but a bit distracted and fed up with being told to sit down and shut up all the time :shifty::shutup:

To true; the thumb screws are tightened more every season, we now have this virtual no smoking tripe;becoming more and more fed up as the years pass :(

Most games last season were morge like for atmosphere :disapointed2se:

But there's knowhere to say in the laws, rules and regulations that you can't sing (constantly) through a match or cheer the team on, despite this everyone seems to be making excuses for the lack of getting behind the team on matchday. If the pride and passion displayed on this forum for BCFC was transferred to the ground on any given matchday then most teams in L2 would hate coming to the Gate.

A mate of mine (who's a Rovers Fan) said how intimidating the stands looked from the pitch at the recent Who concert, he commented on how it must feel to be an away player looking up at that when the City crowd are in full voice. If the football is good then there should be no excuse for not making noise.

I am positive that all three would love to hear Ashton Gate rocking.

Well I am positive that all three don't really give a toss just so long as everyone hands over more than 300 big one's each Summer.

Seriously, these last two seasons have seen the only upturn in atmosphere at home games since......well, ages. The Club BS'd the vocal support out of Williams E in 04/05 and have treated the G Block Dolman like absolute ####'# this last season.

These have certainly not been the actions of three men who would 'love to hear Ashton Gate rocking'.

Well I am positive that all three don't really give a toss just so long as everyone hands over more than 300 big one's each Summer.

Seriously, these last two seasons have seen the only upturn in atmosphere at home games since......well, ages. The Club BS'd the vocal support out of Williams E in 04/05 and have treated the G Block Dolman like absolute ####'# this last season.

These have certainly not been the actions of three men who would 'love to hear Ashton Gate rocking'.

I seem to remember many people saying how they liked the stewards that the club put in the Williams E block. How has the club's treatment stopped people singing? No-one has EVER been told to stop singing- so people need to stop suggesting the club tell fans to "sit down and shut up"- they don't! They tell people to sit down- IT IS THE LAW!!! DO YOU REALLY EXPECT THEM TO IGNORE THAT!?! They do not tell people to stop singing. And before you drag out all this "we got a letter, no-one else did" thing- that does not stop anyone from singing.

Banning smoking, handing out letters about behaviour and making sure you are sat does not stop you singing- stop making excuses.

If it was ALL about money we'd never have had trials over the East End that I and many others worked really hard to get the club to take on. To their credit, they did. It was fantastic- and then ruined by a couple of dozen immature people who totally abused it and proved that to them it was more about abusing away fans than supporting the team. The club did their best and it cost money but they tried. A minority of fans ruined it.

Now PLEASE tell me ONE way that the club have actually gone out and tried to stop fans from singing. Tell me one thing they did that prevented you from opening your mouth and singing! I somehow doubt anyone can name a single thing. I agree about the lack of a single area for vocal fans and the roof but the suggestion the club has set out to silence fans is so stupid it's almost comical.

we now have this virtual no smoking tripe

Does that stop the fans from singing?

I have been to some very loud stadiums that are non-smoking all over.

I have also been to some very loud concerts where the bands were able to sing or scream into a mic without a fag.

I seem to remember many people saying how they liked the stewards that the club put in the Williams E block. How has the club's treatment stopped people singing? No-one has EVER been told to stop singing- so people need to stop suggesting the club tell fans to "sit down and shut up"- they don't! They tell people to sit down- IT IS THE LAW!!! DO YOU REALLY EXPECT THEM TO IGNORE THAT!?! They do not tell people to stop singing. And before you drag out all this "we got a letter, no-one else did" thing- that does not stop anyone from singing.

Banning smoking, handing out letters about behaviour and making sure you are sat does not stop you singing- stop making excuses.

If it was ALL about money we'd never have had trials over the East End that I and many others worked really hard to get the club to take on. To their credit, they did. It was fantastic- and then ruined by a couple of dozen immature people who totally abused it and proved that to them it was more about abusing away fans than supporting the team. The club did their best and it cost money but they tried. A minority of fans ruined it.

Now PLEASE tell me ONE way that the club have actually gone out and tried to stop fans from singing. Tell me one thing they did that prevented you from opening your mouth and singing! I somehow doubt anyone can name a single thing. I agree about the lack of a single area for vocal fans and the roof but the suggestion the club has set out to silence fans is so stupid it's almost comical.

Fair play.

The lack of atmosphere down at City games isn't unique to City but a nation wide fact. You're right when you point to the rules from higher authoreties, these are what really need challanging. The debate could and has run and run but I believe the selling of the spirit and soul of Football occured through the incompetancy of the authoreties in Sheffield on 15th April 1989.

Not saying they've gone out of their way to prevent a decent atmosphere at AG, Police presence and over stewarding of the G Block hasn't helped though.

Middle class familiy's is where the money is, this social catagory is non compatible with young lads (and lasses) who want to let loose and go large every other Saturday afternoon, this has become patently obvious at AG, to me if no one else.

The goading of away fans has been a phenomenon within Football for donkeys' years, I know it's not politically correct behaviour but it is in the main just banter and should not be held against one.

There was no hooligan problem last season (and not for many previous) yet I felt criminalised more than once, the G Block was targetted.

I don't know why more people don't sing up. *sigh*.

Fair play.

The lack of atmosphere down at City games isn't unique to City but a nation wide fact. You're right when you point to the rules from higher authoreties, these are what really need challanging. The debate could and has run and run but I believe the selling of the spirit and soul of Football occured through the incompetancy of the authoreties in Sheffield on 15th April 1989.

Not saying they've gone out of their way to prevent a decent atmosphere at AG, Police presence and over stewarding of the G Block hasn't helped though.

Middle class familiy's is where the money is, this social catagory is non compatible with young lads (and lasses) who want to let loose and go large every other Saturday afternoon, this has become patently obvious at AG, to me if no one else.

The goading of away fans has been a phenomenon within Football for donkeys' years, I know it's not politically correct behaviour but it is in the main just banter and should not be held against one.

There was no hooligan problem last season (and not for many previous) yet I felt criminalised more than once, the G Block was targetted.

I don't know why more people don't sing up. *sigh*.

Well at least we've managed to divorce 2 or 3 issues here.

I for one agree with you that the Taylor Report misatributed the blame on to standing.

The pricing out of fans from football is a real concern I share. While attendances continue to go up I think it's such a shame that so many people who would love to go simply can't. I think football has done well from the extra money invested in the game over recent years but it can't keep going that way or it will implode. I will avoid ranting about this because I have a pub to get to tonight! :)

As for banter. Yes, I agree that banter is fine. The East End problem though wasn't banter- it was people charging up the isle, at the fence and climbing the fence. From the club's point of view this caused understandable nervousnes, higher police costs and quite frankly it went well over the top. It wasn't about how much fans loved City or even hated Rovers- it seemed more about threatening away fans with what would happen to them outside, gesticulating at them and generally being abusive. That's not the impression I would like people to have of our club. I'm proud of BCFC. Over the last 10 years there's been little or no trouble by City fans at Ashton Gate but I don't want everyone in the country thinking of us in the same way so many clubs think of Cardiff.

Millwall may claim they don't mind being hated- I do. I want opposition fans to turn away from Ashton Gate saying "rugger me, that was loud- they ARE passionate". Not saying "what a nasty little bunch of gits with anger problems"!

In recent years Portsmouth fans have been afforded a lot of respect nationwide- not because they continually sing "you're going to get your f'ing head kicked in" but because even when 4-0 down home or away they sing and stay positive with "Play up Pompey" or such like songs. Fair play to them.

I agree with you about the away end. The club need to be treating the away fans exactly the same as the home fans. But the away section only has fans standing a few times a season. I think the home ends are targetted harder because it's ongoing. The band actually does have special permission for tiny handful of fans to stand (I think) as there isn't room for them and the instruments- but the H Block in general is no standing and it IS enforced up there. I have been there when they have enforced it and know people who have been banned. It's not a campaign against the Dolman as you suggest.

Rubbish. The club have never put extra stewards next to those that sing- you sound paranoid. As with every club in the land they will put extra stewards in areas where a) there are a large number of home fans near to the away fans- just incase b) where any damage is caused to seating or back/side of stand (as there was in Dolman G and Williams E block) c) Where there is persistant standing. As happened in Atyeo H block too.

The League and the Football Licensing Authority say we have to ensure ALL fans inside the ground are seated. There are also issues with healthy and safety in the eyes of the local council. They do allow for the temporary standing at moments of excitement but not persistent standing. The club has always been consisent with the laws they have to follow on this.

We had years of the Ask SteveL forum, we have had and will have more Q&A sessions at the ground, we have the supporters club, supporters trust and FCF. The club DO listen but they can't bend league rules just because a few people want to stand! They probably wish they had such power but unfortunately they don't.

You sound like Yossarian. "They're all trying to kill me!". I know many people who sit in G Block and I have sat in E Block Williams myself. I also understand the clubs perspective on this. I have to say that there's a real seige mentality among a few fans who believe everyone's out to get them. It simply is not the case. I've sat in E Block Williams and heard those from G Block really well on many occasions where the stewards have done nothing to try and dampen spirits. The club only react to certain things- eg standing.

I have no idea about this or what flags were banned but I am 99.9% sure you're allowed the same flags in G Block as you are anywhere else in the stadium. Not on wooden sticks (same for Atyeo), not offensive (same for Atyeo), not over advertising boards that pay for our players! (same for Atyeo).

If there is persistent standing, violence, flags over advetising etc in the Atyeo they are treated the same. I've seen stewards eject people from the Atyeo for standing, I've seen them take people out who were drunk or causing problems and take down flags- so again try opening your eyes and stop this "everyone's ganging up on us attitude"

- They did. One or maybe two years ago one took place. I think the thing many in G Block would find is that many people actually supported the club on issues over crowd safety and legislation.

The club are well aware of the suggestions. BUT few of them are practicle. They listened over the East End, they allowed Red and White Nights.

- I would like this to happen but can totally understand the club's reluctance. I think it is too early too. I'm not too sure how it sits with the FLA, league and FA at the moment but I know cost is an issue. I would love us to at one point have a section that can be seats turned in to standing.

In what way are they treated differently? Besides there will be some differences due to circumstance- Gas still have terraces, have different crowd patterns/behaviour. 25% of our ground is not open for many games due to the costs involved and the problems caused when it was.

Hi Ho Silver Lining is actually sung very well. We do have an anthem- Drink Up Thy Zider which is pretty well sung. The club do try to include a song pre-match after the teams have run out but timing is often an issue.

Again you seem to be blinding yourself to the facts! Drink Up Thy Zider IS played after every game pretty much. So no- it's not too un-PC and it IS played.

Red and White Nights as you said are done. I know! And the club have always supported them fully and will help do anything as long as it doesn't cost. This year the event was sponsored by BTC and the extra money raised was put into the cost of the red card placed on seats. Fans, the supporters trust and individuals like Dolly and Green 'Un helped hugely too with the set up and clean up!

Agree on this one, mate.

haha! A lovely idea. Not too sure he'd go for it though. I think he and the club have put things on in the bar before games a couple of times. As long as it doesn't cost then it's a good idea but there are issues over staff time and also while some people will like a certain band or singer, others will say they hate it and only came in for a quiet pint.

haha! As a centreback/right back I can say that full backs deserve all the abuse they get. I know I do. If I was a pro (I was close, you know!) I'd expect all the abuse and be disappointed not to get any. Damn full-backs!

Anyway, I really must get down the pub.

Percy, do you work for City? the board are for themselves, not the majority of the supporters !

WHAT!?!?!?

well if yur that tipsy ,can i come in for coffee?

WHAT!?!?!?

meow!

Archived