IGNORED

Parallel Universe?

Dollymarie

I think http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~870411,00.html answers any question as to why there isn't much atmosphere at either City, or football in general.

Pompey have been mentioned, but then they are a special case as they have a tradition of singing enmass.

Not sure what to make of it really as Bristolians earn less than the national average so should the club be doing even more to attract those who do not earn high wages or to attract ever morte monied support and forget about the smokers, kids [cjs], singers.......!

Pompey, i have been there four times and they did not have then a tradition of singing en masse.Demographically there are a vey interesting club who have always looked at themselves [the fans that is] as being much less well of than their posh neighbours Southampton.It will be interesting to see now how the club progresses off the pitch under Alexandre Gaydamak.I would quite like to know a lot more about Pompey as they are getting something right.

You must have realised by now it is all but a joke.

Either pay £300+ or ##### off. It's simple.

I have parted with £325 and by my reckoning i have another £324 worth of moaning and ranting left in me.

Scratching the surface so far!

I don't want to get into petty arguments, but I think you'll find Pompey have been known for an atmosphere since the 60's.

What sticks in the mind since the eighties was the walk back to fratton Bridge often with local herberts in tow and that bloke every time with that bloody bell.Last time out the Pompey chime was dormant for the 1-0.

What sticks in the mind since the eighties was the walk back to fratton Bridge often with local herberts in tow and that bloke every time with that bloody bell.Last time out the Pompey chime was dormant for the 1-0.

Remember it well, an Easter Monday and Adam Lock (Or Brian Tinnion) scored with a header late in the game.

To move on from the tangent about Pompey however, my point is that if you look at what the make up of a crowd is now, it is the more affluent reserved section of society, rather than (ok I'm stereotyping social groups) the more boisterous working class. It is the way the game has changed, this is a fact that none could argue with.

Youngsters over nearly a decade haven't seen football as a noisy atmospheric environment. It simply isn't part of the day, apart from the odd song.

Also the small away crowds week in week out visiting Ashton Gate hamper the atmosphere. It is another fact that the crowd is louder when it has someone to sing "against"

Now PLEASE tell me ONE way that the club have actually gone out and tried to stop fans from singing...

...I agree about the lack of a single area for vocal fans and the roof...

Answered your own question there. It's about logistics.

When I asked Steve Lansdown if he thought that City needed a Kop or something equivalent (an area for vocal fans), he told me "No, that's a myth".

Well I beg to differ. Logistical changes have played a huge part in making it hard for fans to congregate, and our own chairman refuses to accept that there is a problem.

Issues such as all-seating, allocated seating, non-smoking, tactless letters etc etc, simply further agitate already frustrated fans.

Many fans don't feel they get what they want for their substantial spending and loyalty.

I think the atmosphere will improve this season. Hopefully there will be plenty of noise in all three stands.

I am worried though, about being moved out of the F block williams, like what happened to me few years ago.

I think that the club planned to put people off sitting in E and F blocks of the williams by making it smoking.

when i got our tickets in f block, the bloke said to me "your going to be on your own in there" and tried to persuade me to stay in the Atyeo! This was suprising as they're getting more money out of us in there!

I liked it in the Atyeo at first, but now there is too many miserable moaners in there. When I go to the game, I want have a laugh, and its been too long since i've really enjoyed a home game.

Nevertheless I am confident that all will change. :chant6ez:

Remember it well, an Easter Monday and Adam Lock (Or Brian Tinnion) scored with a header late in the game.

To move on from the tangent about Pompey however, my point is that if you look at what the make up of a crowd is now, it is the more affluent reserved section of society, rather than (ok I'm stereotyping social groups) the more boisterous working class. It is the way the game has changed, this is a fact that none could argue with.

Youngsters over nearly a decade haven't seen football as a noisy atmospheric environment. It simply isn't part of the day, apart from the odd song.

Also the small away crowds week in week out visiting Ashton Gate hamper the atmosphere. It is another fact that the crowd is louder when it has someone to sing "against"

AHA!.....At last ...Somebody getting close to the real reason for atmos dropping off

Another which ties in with the above ...and please don't bully me for saying this as I don't condone it in any way but... :me?:

Less NAUGHTY VIOLENT TYPES attending games!

When the EE or Block B ..or the open end....was full of doc martins and denim then you had NOISE

AHA!.....At last ...Somebody getting close to the real reason for atmos dropping off

Another which ties in with the above ...and please don't bully me for saying this as I don't condone it in any way but... :me?:

Less NAUGHTY VIOLENT TYPES attending games!

When the EE or Block B ..or the open end....was full of doc martins and denim then you had NOISE

100% right mate! I remember the East end roar when I was little, and being scared and excited at the same time. Last time it came close at AG was city v watford in the promotion season....QUALITY atmosphere.

And your right, most atmosphere and noise is created by the more "dodgy" types, i know cos i sit with 3 of them! :chant6ez:

When I asked Steve Lansdown if he thought that City needed a Kop or something equivalent (an area for vocal fans), he told me "No, that's a myth".

Well I beg to differ. Logistical changes have played a huge part in making it hard for fans to congregate, and our own chairman refuses to accept that there is a problem.

Issues such as all-seating, allocated seating, non-smoking, tactless letters etc etc, simply further agitate already frustrated fans.

Many fans don't feel they get what they want for their substantial spending and loyalty.

Top post nail well and truly hit on the head :chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez:

There is no reason at all,really, why at least half the E.E couldnt be made a safe standing area :dunno: (apart from those in the depths of S.L mind)season tickets or i.d cards only could control any trouble; but we`ve been here before; big big pity really as it would be full almost every game :(:ranting:

Agreed crowds have changed dramatically but i think that City are in position to still cater for all as we are not going to be worrying the premiership for years. Bristol City should be a club for all not just the middle classes & we do have room.I was one of those working class blokes who used to stand on the East End Enclosure corner then the Dolman A & B and i can see that the game is totally different now.But i feel City can still have a ground with a real atmosphere without the undercurrent of malice like it did in the past at times.It feels like the support has moved on faster than the club and police, to me they are looking

for behaviour that has moved on well away from the stadium.

Totally agree with you, It's a sad fact when your watching team that fans stand up in front of you when your team is attacking then you have to stand cause you cant see the game, but with one eye on the bloody stewards. A standing area in the EE is the answer, but here we go again, if supporters can see the answer why do the board show deaf ears.

Agreed again and is'nt it sad they may never feel that noise that can almost knock you off your feet & the excitement of a crowd that regularly takes part.

Archived