IGNORED

Basso

Dan C

basso a good keeper good attitude odd mistake phillips good keeeper bad attitude odd mistake

By Jove, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I think you're right Moz, there is a diff. between constructive criticism and idiotic rants as illustrated by Ivan:

the bloke is a muppet and i don't like his quiff either!

no-one has mentioned the stunning save he made in the second half, albeit the shot was going at least 5 yards wide!!! idiot

:farmer:

Hands up all those who have never made a silly mistake whilst doing their job.

If you can, in all honesty, say you have never made a silly error at work, please feel free to have a go at Mr BASSO, ...........

The rest need to be careful, ..........something about people in glass houses not throwing stones !

God, some of you completely miss the point...

He's not getting criticised for making one mistake?

Many feel that he makes too many mistakes.

If you think he's great, that's fine. I disagree...I think he's got to improve or he'll be back on the bench.

By Jove, I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I think you're right Moz, there is a diff. between constructive criticism and idiotic rants as illustrated by Ivan:

:farmer:

Well messages like that are best ignored. Having read the thread I'd say most of the criticism is genuine and just. Not vitriol.

This is all a case of whether you think Basso makes 'the odd mistake' or 'too many mistakes'.

From what I saw of him I'd have to go for the latter.

Hands up all those who have never made a silly mistake whilst doing their job.

If you can, in all honesty, say you have never made a silly error at work, please feel free to have a go at Mr BASSO, ...........

The rest need to be careful, ..........something about people in glass houses not throwing stones !

Professional Football is no ordinary job but yes, I've had workmates moved on due to their basic incompetance.

His days as City's no.1 are numbered as far as I can see so the doubters it would seem do have a point. If you believe both the doubters and Gary Johnson are wrong then it's Gary Johnson who you should be putting under trial.

Also, what mozo and dagest were saying about the difference between expressing a concern and harsly verbally abusing the bloke.

And pray what is the difference between a goal conceded and an open goal not scored?

Personally, i feel this is a very pertinant point, ignored by all but one poster so far.

On one hand i can see the difference, if you concede a goal things get worse, and if you miss an open goal things merely stay the same.

However, on the other hand, they are both basic mistakes that nobody should ever make (but they do, sometimes, so get over it.) Also, they both give you a handicap. If you concede a sloppy goal you have to score one more to level the playing field. But open goal oppurtunities are few and far between, if you miss one of these, you have to create another golden oppurtunity to make up for it, and give you another chance to score.

In conclusion, i would say, don't get worked up about it, it's only a friendly . True he has firked up before-s****horpe, but it's a new season, so give him, and everyone, a clean slate, and let's judge them on Johnson :whistle:

Ok I know I haven't read all 39 posts on this subject, but the consensus of opinion around where I was sat that whilst it was a bad error, to start singing 'We want our Phillips Back' at our No1 keeper is harsly the sort of thing to inspire confidence.

The guy behind me was incredulous and asked how fans could be singing such a thing 20 minutes in to our first home pre-season friendly. I explained that this is Bristol City and this is what the 'Real' City fans do.

However when Dave C & Jennison missed their one on ones I didn't here chants for any ex strikers to be drafted back.

I couldn't explain why!!

On one hand i can see the difference, if you concede a goal things get worse, and if you miss an open goal things merely stay the same.

However, on the other hand, they are both basic mistakes that nobody should ever make (but they do, sometimes, so get over it.) Also, they both give you a handicap. If you concede a sloppy goal you have to score one more to level the playing field. But open goal oppurtunities are few and far between, if you miss one of these, you have to create another golden oppurtunity to make up for it, and give you another chance to score.

In conclusion, i would say, don't get worked up about it, it's only a friendly . True he has firked up before-s****horpe, but it's a new season, so give him, and everyone, a clean slate, and let's judge them on Johnson :whistle:

I mentioned Cotts and Jen's misses in my first post on returning from the match, so at least I've got my own back covered there.

Thing is, they're both young and naive, an excuse that Basso doesn't have.

It doesn't matter what you do in friendlies, it just seemed to me and clearly others that the blunder was indicative of his mixed fortunes as a City keeper.

If he improves his kicking and cuts out the blunders, I'll praise him to high heaven. If he doesn't, I'll continue to say what I see.

Still cant recall blunders as completely obvious as Basso's

I reckon his general mental approach was SP's problem.

But SP's failings don't make Basso blameless. We'll see this season how the Brazilian gets on.

I think it was unfair of some posters to accuse Basso's critics of scapegoating though.

Personally, i feel this is a very pertinant point, ignored by all but one poster so far.

The reason most people ignored it is because it's a pointless comparison.

There is a massive difference between not scoring a one on one (not an open goal) and giving a goal away through a completely unforced calamity.

If Basso had let in a shot that he should have saved there would be more similarity, but he might as well have kicked the ball in his own net.

As others have pointed out, Basso has more than 10 years on either Cotterill or Williams, and I would be willing to bet that you will not see them miss easy chances as many times as you will see Basso make mistakes in the coming season.

Archived