IGNORED

Scott Murray ?

bcfc@downend

i've not watched any of the friendlies,how has murray been playing?

will he be regular 1st team player? no goals for him pre season. thoughts?

In his last year of contract, and I think he turns 33 next birthday. Attacking well in patches, but I think GJ prefers Cotterill as first pick on the right. On the left GJ can choose between Showumni, who played very well today, Williams and Brown. I think Scotty might be lucky to get 20 games this season.

i have rated murray over the years,all be it in and out of games(typical winger)also with his golden season,was it 26 goals?

imo past his best before date now,can't see him playing a regular part this season.

younger hungrier players are the order of the day with gj........... can only see sm being released end of season,imo.

i have rated murray over the years,all be it in and out of games(typical winger)also with his golden season,was it 26 goals?

imo past his best before date now,can't see him playing a regular part this season.

younger hungrier players are the order of the day with gj........... can only see sm being released end of season,imo.

Agreed !

Murrey was not good today.

Agreed with the posters above , he will only play a minor role this season.

I think he has lost some speed and is still lacking in confidence...............but what a tan.

the whole 'confidence' thing is such a cop-out.

by the way, I'm not picking out you specifically reddrive, just saying, thats all.

He's already shown he couldn't make the step up to the championship and will be released at the end of th year IMO.

I think he'll play quite a bit this season though and still think he has something to offer our team.

I agree he was poor today. Every pass seemed to go to a Shrews player. His crossing was very poor.

I admit he is a City diehard but I would start with Cotts and Enoch / Williams as the wide men as they have been far more effective in the pre season games I have seen.

Sorry Scotty,improvement required!

Bench at best.

yes Scott did play quite poorly today,but

playing on the left as a right footed player he's

not going to run to the corner flag and put in a great

cross as he used to. He has to cut inside now on his

favourered foot.When he played on the right for a little while

today,he looked more like his old self.If we get this

left sided player from Hearts then maybe Scotty

won't be in the first eleven too often.He is still a valuable

member of the squad though,and there is a long old

season to come.

He was shit today. Couldnt cross to save his life.

Was he bollocks.

He was out of position today, and couldn't cross with his left foot to save his life. However, most of us already knew he didn't have a left foot.

We need a real left winger.

Murray`s last season (in a City shirt at least) huge shame he hasn`t really reached the heights he set in that magical season. He will always be a City hero in my eyes, a brilliant relationship with fans and players, he wants to win for us, for our club, which I admire so much about him.

His legendary celebration against Cardiff and winding up of Hull fans gives me a huge smile every time I think about them. I hope after this season he stays with the club in some way as he clearly loves Bristol City. I still think he can pull something out of the hat for us this season, yet doubt he will play a great deal.

Was he bollocks.

He was out of position today, and couldn't cross with his left foot to save his life. However, most of us already knew he didn't have a left foot.

We need a real left winger.

On a random note, what's happened to the swear filter?

Back to Murray, crossing was never his best attribute, his speed and direct running got him the plaudits he got, as he gets older he was always going to lose that.

I thought he played well in the home friendlies. May no longer be a 90 minute player but brings that special something to the dressing room, very popular with other players and the fans.

He was lovely yesterday at the open day, an absolute star! :wub:

i think scott would be the first to admit he has never recaptured his amazing form of a few years ago in his second spell at the club. but the man is city through and through, more so than some so called bristol born players who i didnt think cared anywhere near as much. he will be remembered as a city legend after he has gone. sure he has his faults, but anyone who stays at this club for that long and scores that many goals should always be given the full support of the crowd, yes he has been rewarded with decent wages, but he does care alot, you can see it in his face when he scores.

i think he will play more than he doesnt this year. i would love us to get promoted and for him to play for us, at least as a squad player in the championship. we shall see. all players will get there chance. GJ wont have favourites a la wilson and peacock, and everyone will get a go at some stage.

Murray`s last season (in a City shirt at least) huge shame he hasn`t really reached the heights he set in that magical season. He will always be a City hero in my eyes, a brilliant relationship with fans and players, he wants to win for us, for our club, which I admire so much about him.

His legendary celebration against Cardiff and winding up of Hull fans gives me a huge smile every time I think about them. I hope after this season he stays with the club in some way as he clearly loves Bristol City. I still think he can pull something out of the hat for us this season, yet doubt he will play a great deal.

Completely agree. He's been a fine player for the club, and has always worn his heart on his sleeve. He loves being a City player, and loves the club - as anyone can plainly see whenever we score a goal. If this is to be his final season with us, let's please remember what a great servant he has been to City, and when it's finally time for him to hang up his boots, let's applaud the man for all he's done for us.

That's just so so so wrong.

Is it really that far wrong though?

In all honesty, I'm probably Scott Murray's biggest critic, but I can't fault the bloke off the pitch, I can't fault his passion on the pitch, and he's also been a fantastic servant for Bristol City and for that we owe him a debt of gratitude.

But the above is also the sticking point for me. People tend to mention what a great servant he is before mentioning what he has to offer. It has actually been prevailent in this thread too.

As well as previous comments regarding his crossing, (and add tackling, heading and control to that list as well), I would argue further that its since the emergence of younger players like Cotterill that Murray's formed dipped. For so long, he was an automatic first choice, but with genuine competition, he struggled to make an impact. Of course, mother nature also played her part in robbing Murray of his one big asset, his pace, which obviously younger players have in spades.

Again, I recognise the huge commitment he has made to Bristol City, and despite my criticisms, he has provided some magic moments (the goal against Oldham, the 'wonder season'), but to say that he will be regarded as a City legend is a bit much in my opinion. Cult hero? Of course. Terrace Legend? Definately. City legend? Not for me.

one season wonder.

havent been the same player since he been back.

footballers play their whole careers wishing for a season like that. I remember the season the number of times I leapt into the air with joy I am sure that season will remain in his thoughts for years to come who are you to dismiss one of the greatest players we have had for many years as a one season wonder are you pele in disguise ?

Archived