IGNORED

Scott Murray ?

bcfc@downend

Is it really that far wrong though?

Yes.

He didn't just do it in one season. That's why he's not a one season wonder unconditionally. Even last year he finished as second highest scorer with 11 goals from 40 games six as sub. Playing wing 11 goals is a very good season. Especially if played on the wrong one!

He scored an average of one in four/five over his entire career which works out at around 10+ a season for a winger. There aren't that many of them about at any level.

All your points about his technical deficiencies I wholeheartedly agree with, and you can challenge many a point on this thread. But to say he's a one season wonder is just plain wrong.

footballers play their whole careers wishing for a season like that. I remember the season the number of times I leapt into the air with joy I am sure that season will remain in his thoughts for years to come who are you to dismiss one of the greatest players we have had for many years as a one season wonder are you pele in disguise ?

Can't speak for him, but judging by your post, you are missing his point entirely.

I agree, that was a dream season for him. The point being made was, he only had a season like that once (in his own opinion). Now, he could have done with backing up his opinion, which would have helped. But for someone who you yourself in your post lauded as one of the greatest players we've had for years, is that one great season really good enough? You don't make any mention of WHY Murray is one of our greatest players. Or is that opinion based solely upon that one season?

As an aside, he doesn't have to be Pele to have an opinion, mate. Just because he has a difference of opinion to you (and I do too by the way), doesn't make him wrong. Similarly, Portland Bill talking about being able to know about football only if you've played in a high standard in the Marcus Stewart thread. Really don't understand that mindset at all.

Personally i think if he didnt go to reading after that wonder season he would still be the same player..no left back would get near to him in this division and no-one could challenge him for the right wing spot at this club..but he has never been the same player since he came back..don't get me wrong he has shown glimpses but overall i think scottys games are numbered at city.. possibly his last season.. be lucky to get 20 games this season IMHO.. if he starts saturday i'll be surprised

Yes.

He didn't just do it in one season. That's why he's not a one season wonder unconditionally. Even last year he finished as second highest scorer with 11 goals from 40 games six as sub. Playing wing 11 goals is a very good season. Especially if played on the wrong one!

He scored an average of one in four/five over his entire career which works out at around 10+ a season for a winger. There aren't that many of them about at any level.

All your points about his technical deficiencies I wholeheartedly agree with, and you can challenge many a point on this thread. But to say he's a one season wonder is just plain wrong.

Admittedly good points. Murray has always been reliable in front of goal, and has chipped in with several important goals, that I'll concede.

He's honest, hard-working, passionate... but he will ultimately, and judging by this thread as well, be remembered for little else than his one truly outstanding season as opposed to his relative consistancy in front of goal.

Admittedly good points. Murray has always been reliable in front of goal, and has chipped in with several important goals, that I'll concede.

He's honest, hard-working, passionate... but he will ultimately, and judging by this thread as well, be remembered for little else than his one truly outstanding season as opposed to his relative consistancy in front of goal.

Correct, but what he will be remembered for and what he did is rarely the same.

Ask Zidane.

I for one will remember him for giving his all over the years

I for one will remember him for giving his all over the years

Thats fair enough mate. I will as well as a matter of fact. You'll notice that I haven't questioned his passion or his effort. For me though, that still doesn't back up your argument that you presented for him being one of the greatest city players for several years. I am honestly intrigued as to why you think this is so. Is it purely his effort? Well then why isn't Joe Burnell held in higher regard? Is his consistent goal ratio? Tony Thorpe scored a lot of goals, but even he isn't given his due anymore.

Like I say, I'll never question his passion and his effort, but I have questioned his ability, which I've discussed with Redhyde in this very thread.

i just think such a strong statement really needs defending.

Archived