IGNORED

Wasn't Given A Chance...

mozo

One of my favourite recurring comments on this forum is that such-and-such wasn't given a chance by the manager.

SO...who really wasn't given a chance at City??

Michael Bridges?

Marcus Stewart (ongoing!)?

Scott Brown?

Lee Peacock?

Christian Roberts?

Sean Dyche?

Joe Burnell?

Steve Phillips? :w00t:

Anyone feel that by the very fact that a manager sees the lad in training week in week out, plus reserve games, is enough to justify theuir team selections?

Or are we assuming that managers are guilty of player prejudice?

ALSO...what exactly is a fair chance? How many games should a player be given??

Get me learned people!

Edit: I personally feel that Jason Roberts wasn't given a chance.

One of my favourite recurring comments on this forum is that such-and-such wasn't given a chance by the manager.

Michael Bridges?

Scott Brown?

Lee Peacock?

Christian Roberts?

Sean Dyche?

Joe Burnell?

Anyone feel that by the very fact that a manager sees the lad in training week in week out, plus reserve games, is enough to justify theuir team selections?

Get me learned people!

Sean Dyche and Lee Peacock were given to much of a chance

I wish Bridges was still here as an option.

I think Roberts is now showing the necessary aptitude (sp?) after his problems, which presumably were in existence, but not noticed here (wonder why :whistle: ). I think he may now get better and be a sought after player at this sort of level.

Scott Brown deserves a run of a few games after his displays in the good spell at the end of last season.

Michael Bridges?

Scott Brown?

Lee Peacock?

Christian Roberts?

Sean Dyche?

Joe Burnell?

Get me learned people!

you will find that people will always have favourites it cant be helped. some you like some you hate ,as the french say thats life

Michael Bridges has been the biggest cardinal sin of recent times.

In the little appearences he made for this club it was blatently obvious he was a class above. It should be remembered that he was not a permenant feature during Tinnions' tenure, however the out-casting, especially after his 'let me play plea' is one of the few major contentions I hold with Johnson.

The man is class and although I was dissapointed to see him leave the club I felt (and do feel) that the performances and results of the team justify Johnson's decision to let him go. If he could have provided that creative spark in a GJ side is a different matter, but one that the manager had clearly made his mind up on.

I was also always a fan of Stephen Gillespie, I do not feel he was given an adequate 'crack of the whip' either.

I was also always a fan of Stephen Gillespie, I do not feel he was given an adequate 'crack of the whip either.'

Just to delve into the issue a little deeper young James, what would have been adequate and why do you think that a popular young player like Gillespie wasn't kept?

Michael Bridges?

Scott Brown?

Lee Peacock?

Christian Roberts?

Sean Dyche?

Joe Burnell?

Get me learned people!

colin cramb and paul agostino were to often sat on the subs bench!

another name who i thought was a really good player and scored vital goals for us when he was playing but amazingly was not given much of a chance and spent most of his time here on the bench was 12 year old Marc Goodfellow.

suprised no-one has come up with his name, i rememebr a few city fans feeling a bit down for him when he left us. though having said that, he has not doen a lot since he has left us and is now playing at Bury

Who was the striker we got from Notts County who was there top striker then hardly played?

You mean the player who went to Doncaster and started scoring goals for fun and helped them achieve a decent cup run? Can't remember.

The No chancers

Stewart(atm) Bridges Heffernan Miller Gillespie C.Roberts Odejayi

Ayinsah Clist G.Smith Goodfellow Russell(atm)

Rosenior Heywood J.Smith G.Lavin Amankwah

Just a few...

Oh also Andrew Jordan had some potential, and hows about playing Thorpe in his proper position, didnt we stick him all over the place and leave him to rot or somthing. I cant remeber!

All i remember is wishing we would play him upfront with Akinbiyi but Torpey and Anderson getting infront of him! (Anderson rightlyso another player i liked alot and didnt see enough of in a city shirt)

Liam Rosenior - how can you say that? He moved on to bigger and better things and played a few games for us, hardly not given a chance?

He hardly ever played, let alone in his favoured position, hence not given a proper chance when he was blatently ready for it. As a consequence he buggered off to Fulham and now plays in the premiership.

To me he is def one of those we never gave a proper chance to. (if he was playing first team football i bet he would have stayed)

Same as Ayinsah, played some excellent games at the start of the season, then we never heard about him untill the last few games, then he went to Preston because he felt he wasnt being given a chance.

There is the possibility of the same happening with J Williams, lets hope after some excellent performances in pre season he gets a good few run outs with the first team this season, and now isnt dropped into the reserves to feel let down and bugger off in the summer.

another name who i thought was a really good player and scored vital goals for us when he was playing but amazingly was not given much of a chance and spent most of his time here on the bench was 12 year old Marc Goodfellow.

suprised no-one has come up with his name, i rememebr a few city fans feeling a bit down for him when he left us. though having said that, he has not doen a lot since he has left us and is now playing at Bury

He is an average player at best. He flopped at Swansea and is now playing for the might of Welling. Scored the odd goal but was never more than a decent squaddie at best

I always felt Freezer was never given a chance to show us what he could do on the left. Never given a decent run. However it does seem he hasnt been given a chance at many clubs, when he came to us from Stoke their fans where suprised to let him go as they all thought he had promise. My friend a Swansea fan said he started amazing scoring a 40 yarder and some great performance then suddenly was out of favour with the boss. Seems to me like Goodfellow was a bit of a Bad fellow. Certainly not a Johnson type player.

I always felt Freezer was never given a chance to show us what he could do on the left. Never given a decent run. However it does seem he hasnt been given a chance at many clubs, when he came to us from Stoke their fans where suprised to let him go as they all thought he had promise. My friend a Swansea fan said he started amazing scoring a 40 yarder and some great performance then suddenly was out of favour with the boss. Seems to me like Goodfellow was a bit of a Bad fellow. Certainly not a Johnson type player

Perhaps he has been unlucky with managers, but the fact is he has failed to make an impact at Stoke, Swansea or Bristol City, so you have to start asking why he hasn't made it- he either isn't good enough, which i think is the case, or has a bad attitude, on which i cannot comment as i have no idea.

Perhaps he has been unlucky with managers, but the fact is he has failed to make an impact at Stoke, Swansea or Bristol City, so you have to start asking why he hasn't made it- he either isn't good enough, which i think is the case, or has a bad attitude, on which i cannot comment as i have no idea.

I admit i am biased, i was there at his debut when he scored in the 89th minute or very very late in the game against Notts County which we won 2-1. Ever since then i had high hopes for him. Sadly they nver came to fruitition. :englandsmile4wf:

Mozo, seems like no one is willing to offer an answer to your question what is a 'fair chance' and in all honesty it is probably down to ones personal point of view.

Take MS last season for example. Had a decent run of games in a struggling side under both Tinnion and Johnson but failed to live up to expectations. So you could say that he was given a fair chance.

But of course, when the team started to play better, he wasn't in it. If he'd been given a chance when the team was playing better, maybe he would have come good for us. Was it fair that he was left out? The improvement in results suggest it was fair but the inclusion of Bas Savage (who I think we all agree is a far worse player) suggest it wasn't.

Archived