IGNORED

Scott Golbourne

Back of the net

for a months loan at Wycombe.

Who advise's these youngsters? Surely he has simply wasted a year of his professional football playing career?

I'm all for players moving onwards and upwards, but so many young players seem happy to go to a bigger club just to play reserve football.

I would have thought that another years 1st team experience with us would have benefited him more.

Dean Ashton is an example of someone gradually working there way up and joining the right club at the right time. Ankle apart, seems to have reaped the rewards. He could have easily joined a top premiership club when leaving Crewe, but probably knew he would have ended up in the stiff's.

Who advise's these youngsters? Surely he has simply wasted a year of his professional football playing career?

Was he another under the guidance of our good friend Sky Andrew? I had the misfortune to hear Mr Andrew on the radio the other day suggesting that Jermaine Pennant was unfortunate to be branded a soccer bad boy. I emailed the show saying I thought Andrew was a parasite who'd happily sell his granny for a fiver. They didn't read my comment on air.

I'd almost forgotten about him.

He is an excellent signing for them, he was raw when he was with us but showed a lot of promise. He was actually better going forward than he was at defending in my opinion, has a good cross and shot on him too. Barnet at home anyone? (on second thoughts.. :whistle: ).

Was gutted to see him leave, nevermind...

To be fair to Golbourne, he didn't actually ask to leave City, Reading put in a offer that couldn't according to SL they couldn't turn down.

Apparently Scott was gutted when he found out he was being sold by the club, to be fair though since he left Woody has improved no end and is no doubt first choice left back.

I'd almost forgotten about him.

He is an excellent signing for them, he was raw when he was with us but showed a lot of promise. He was actually better going forward than he was at defending in my opinion, has a good cross and shot on him too. Barnet at home anyone? (on second thoughts.. :whistle: ).

Was gutted to see him leave, nevermind...

An excellent signing for them. Well he has hardly showed all this potential at Reading now has he. So why is he excellent. Possibly another youngster who flopped because he got too big for his boots!

Well he has hardly showed all this potential at Reading now has he.

I wouldn't know, do you follow Reading f.c that closely??

Like I said, it was my opinion based what I had seen of him during his time here.

As far as I know, he didn't want to leave.. and even if he did, ambition and arrogance are two different things.

I stick by what I have said and i think he'll prove me right.

An excellent signing for them. Well he has hardly showed all this potential at Reading now has he. So why is he excellent. Possibly another youngster who flopped because he got too big for his boots!

I think we should all remember Rosenior, and people said he was stupid to go to Fulham to only play in the reserves, and now look where he is.

Yes. It was widely reported at the time that he wasn't sure about going. Mr. Lansdown himself said so in an interview that it was the clubs decision and Scott was shocked.

Just because a club accepts an offer, doesnt mean the player had to leave, The player could reject the move and declair his intention to stay at city and become a regular.

Just because a club accepts an offer, doesnt mean the player had to leave, The player could reject the move and declair his intention to stay at city and become a regular.

As did Clayton Fortune...

However if you are told as a pro that the club is willing to let you go, it could be argued that you would be staying at a club that doesn't want you...

:dunno:

Steve Lansdown answered a question about the departure of Goldbourne during one of his Q&A sessions at the end of last season.

He explained that the deal offered by Reading was worth over a £1m ( with add-ons and so on) to City for a player who at the time wasn't a regular in the City side.

He asked the audience whether they thought City had not done the right thing - to a man they all agreed it was good deal.

The point is that we will never know if Golbourne or Anyinsah woud have made it at City especially with the change of manager.I don't see the point of going on about them.

Yes his Dad spoke of it in the Supporters club last January.

To be fair, his Dad , did make a speech about it in the supporters club last season, and i was there to listen to it. It was quite a moving speech, and of course we seemed to be losing a really good player, for next to nothing.

The fact is Reading made an offer for Scott that the club could not refuse. Steve Lasdown told many in a forum meeting in the Dolman Hall, that £200,000 + had been accepted for Scott. Good deal or not? You can make your mind up, but the bottom line is , it WAS a great deal for the football club, with money going into the bank, no payoffs to others clubs, simply Bristol City,s money.

Steve Lansdown DID NOT push him out the club.

The true fact of the matter was that it was a great deal for the club, and a great deal and opportunity for the lad himself.

Scott , signed at a time when Reading were top of the championship and looking up to the prem.

Would u sign?

Well i would. Anyway lets worry about the past, and talk about our current players, and where were going from now on !

City for life.

Can`t see the problem myself. My boss who lives in Reading ( and follws them ) tells me that he is really highly thought of. He has played reaaly well in the reserves. They want him to get some first team experiance. He is still only 18.

At this level you can chuck an 18 year old in to the first team but in the prem it is a bit different.

David Beckham went on loan to Preston and that wasn`t because he wasn`t highly thought of was it !?!

Was he another under the guidance of our good friend Sky Andrew? I had the misfortune to hear Mr Andrew on the radio the other day suggesting that Jermaine Pennant was unfortunate to be branded a soccer bad boy. I emailed the show saying I thought Andrew was a parasite who'd happily sell his granny for a fiver. They didn't read my comment on air.

I heard the buying club paid a tenner for his granny and the selling club only received a fiver. No-one knows where the missing money went. :farmer:

Archived