IGNORED

21 August 1976 .. 30 Years Ago Today

headhunter

I was at the Clock End Highbury that hot Saturday afternoon when Whitehead crossed for Cheesley to head the goal that marked City's return to the top flight after an absence of 65 years.

We'd had 11 successive seasons in what is now the Championship and it was only in the last 2 of those that the consistency emerged to make promotion a viable expectation.

Saturday's woeful showing showed just how far City have fallen - back in the 70's the Premiership [as it is now called] felt within touching distance sadly it is light years away now.

Who else was there that day to savour what was for me one of the high points in almost 40 years of watching City ?

Why are we so far adrift now ?

Time for a pop at GJ - too many ordinary players, nepotisim, tactically bereft of ideas ; he won't be able to pass of his inadequacies with the cheekey Cockney charm after too many more displays like the one against Blackpool.

To think I used to be critical of Peacock and Roberts !!

£8000 a week in wages not even in the squad on Saturday [stewart 5 / Murray 3] - what a waste, what bad management

I was at the Clock End Highbury that hot Saturday afternoon when Whitehead crossed for Cheesley to head the goal that marked City's return to the top flight after an absence of 65 years.

We'd had 11 successive seasons in what is now the Championship and it was only in the last 2 of those that the consistency emerged to make promotion a viable expectation.

Saturday's woeful showing showed just how far City have fallen - back in the 70's the Premiership [as it is now called] felt within touching distance sadly it is light years away now.

Who else was there that day to savour what was for me one of the high points in almost 40 years of watching City ?

Time for a pop at GJ - too many ordinary players, nepotisim, tactically bereft of ideas ; he won't be able to pass of his inadequacies with the cheekey Cockney charm after too many more displays like the one against Blackpool.

To think I used to be critical of Peacock and Roberts !!

£8000 a week in wages not even in the squad on Saturday [stewart 5 / Murray 3] - what a waste, what bad management

I was there too, got there just before kick off, managed to find somewhere to stand in the corner because there was a nice big space there only to find that the space was there because of a bloody big wasp nest in the wall, still what a fantastic day and great atmosphere.

Why are we so far adrift these days?

Its all about attitude, too many people think they are too big for there boots and too big for Bristol city, that goes from the top right down to the academy. Too many cocky arrogant personel.

Biggest change? I was able to park the car in one of the side roads around Highbury! Looking at the video of that day it could easily have been more than just 1-0 to City.

Why did Ritchie get that cross over to Cheesley? - The Arsenal defenders stopped chasing thinking the ball was going out of play, but Tom didn't. London Evening Standard reckoned Ritchie was a definite future ENGLAND international!

The programme that day cost 5p, it now sells at programme fairs for £1.

Went up with my dad and uncle. Cann't remember how we got to Highbury. All the pre match talk was about Malcom Macdonald making his Arsenal league debut, and how many he was going to score against us. With Alan Ball, Sammy Nelson in the side, a side full of internationals. How come we won that day. It was all built on from the previous season we had a team unit, we had a team who would fight, chase every ball. No they were not the most talented, skillfull bunch of footballers ever put together. But no team faniced coming down to Ashton Gate on a Saturday or Tuesday night. Happy memories

• SC&T Board Members

Was there too ... must dig out the old cine camera pictures I've still got somewhere ... of course it all started to go wrong the following Tuesday evening when Paul Cheesley went up for that cross ... if only the summer of 1976 hadn't been so dry and the pitch hadn't been so rock hard ... what might have been...???

Went up with my dad and uncle. Cann't remember how we got to Highbury. All the pre match talk was about Malcom Macdonald making his Arsenal league debut, and how many he was going to score against us. With Alan Ball, Sammy Nelson in the side, a side full of internationals. How come we won that day. It was all built on from the previous season we had a team unit, we had a team who would fight, chase every ball. No they were not the most talented, skillfull bunch of footballers ever put together. But no team faniced coming down to Ashton Gate on a Saturday or Tuesday night. Happy memories

That season we did the double over Arsenal, Spurs and QPR, beat Leeds and Liverpool, Chelsea were in the league below us, we beat Sunderland (who doesn't these days?) and gave most of the rest of the division a fright at times (and that was just Gerry Gow in the showers!!).

too true, could not sum it up better myself. I was a supporter of GJ dispite the feeling that all he was doing was replacing like for like in the team and doing it too often (anyone would think he was on commision from the removal companies!!

But signing his son and then putting him straight in the side and moving others around to do so is very poor.

Archived