IGNORED

Booing At The End

Guest Neo

I appreciate from the above posts that booing is out of frustration.

But the players are thick; they will know they under-performed. They may also now fell an immense pressure in fear of the reaction.

The point is how would you feel? Take 3 amateur football scenario's

1. you are subbed and clapped off?

Feel good about yourself and aim to keep going (last night players didn't deserve a clap)

2. you are subbed and walk off to silence?

I didn't do myself justice, but at least people just accepted it. I WILL DO BETTER!

3. you are subbed and booed off?

My God, what if I play that badly again. I simply can't (immense pressure, sleepless nights etc. ensue).

OK, a bit basic and i'm sure some people will want to point towards "big difference between professionals and amateurs", "they earn more in a week than I do in a month" etc. etc.

The bottom line is we are all human and in general feel similar pressures in similar circumstance. It doesn't matter whether it was a minority; it was the last thing the players heard when coming off the pitch.

As for it was aimed at the ref; was it firk! You would have to be a seriously arrogant pig-headed individual to walk off in those circumstances with a not care attitude IMHO.

Guest exiledred
The best thing to do if you are unhappy with a performance is to not clap the team off at the end. Thats what i do. I hate people that boo, there is no need for it.
thats's what i do. i didn't clap or boo last night. best thing for a bad performance is a dealy silence at the end. might have been different if we had been hammered though!!!

I don't know when booing is acceptable outside of the bad guy coming on in the panto (oo-er; sounds messy).

What I will say is I remember albeit vaguely when City were struggling in the bottom division. And I can never remember anything but encouragement.

Now I see a time when we are on the verge of promotion to the 2nd best league in England and the team is getting verbally criticised by way of booing.

If there is an acceptable time, I personally don't believe it is now.

I can understand walking out without doing anything or getting angry and cuss and swear a bit. I can see no advantage in hostility towards the players, particularly after their recent excellent run.

Perhaps we need to experience real poo times again to appreciate what we now have?

All I know is if I was a Wycombe fan last night witnessing the reaction to a team in second place (bearing in mind their lowly position and how a few hundred of them tried to make themselves heard and support their team), I would be ###### myself with laughter at how pathetic the Bristol City fans are and typing on their forum today with comments like "talk about throwing toys out the pram" and "imagine they were in our position" etc.

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

After reading most of the posts I think it comes down to expectancy levels. most people feel we have the right to be promoted as we are a 'big club' in the countrys 9th biggest city. It simply doesn't work like that and I feel this is a problem that has burdened us for far too long. Lets face it we were second going into last nights game and we could only muster 12000 fans all it took was one defeat at the weekend to dent our home attandence.

I appreciate from the above posts that booing is out of frustration.

But the players are thick; they will know they under-performed.  They may also now fell an immense pressure in fear of the reaction.

The point is how would you feel?  Take 3 amateur football scenario's

1. you are subbed and clapped off? 

Feel good about yourself and aim to keep going (last night players didn't deserve a clap)

2. you are subbed and walk off to silence? 

I didn't do myself justice, but at least people just accepted it.  I WILL DO BETTER!

3. you are subbed and booed off? 

My God, what if I play that badly again.  I simply can't (immense pressure, sleepless nights etc. ensue).

OK, a bit basic and i'm sure some people will want to point towards "big difference between professionals and amateurs", "they earn more in a week than I do in a month" etc. etc.

The bottom line is we are all human and in general feel similar pressures in similar circumstance.  It doesn't matter whether it was a minority; it was the last thing the players heard when coming off the pitch.

As for it was aimed at the ref; was it firk!  You would have to be a seriously arrogant pig-headed individual to walk off in those circumstances with a not care attitude IMHO.

I don't understand your last sentence.

How you know for sure why exactly a minority of individuals were booing is beyond me. Was it the team, was it the officials? Did you ask anyone?

Anyone not at the game would assume from this thread that there was a cacophany of booing.

Well that's not how i remember it.

we all pay good money to watch our team play and we are all entitled to express our feelings in whatever way we feel is right.How many of you moaned about aaron brown's crossing or steve phillips flapping in goal?? If people want to boo or not clap or call players useless then they will. As said before most people were booing out of frustation ,more than anything,but I expect they'll all be there for the next game to cheer the lads on. What I find more worrying is on that performance are we good enough to play in the first division??

I don't  understand your last sentence.

How you know for sure why exactly a minority of individuals were booing is beyond me. Was it the team, was it the officials? Did you ask anyone?

Anyone not at the game would assume from this thread that there was a cacophany of booing.

Well that's not how i remember it.

I keep trying to leave this thread alone and keep getting asked questions so can't. Just like to say I thought it was wrong; that is the only real point i'm making, but since you ask, it would be rude to ignore. So,

I believe the team were being booed as the boo's were right on the final whistle which normally signifies formation at the performance as opposed to an official.

Certainly when the officials walked off, there was no booing; that is the reason I came to this conclusion.

I presume you have been to games before? If so, then surely you know as well as I do the significance of at what point the booing takes place; unless of course our fans are different from the rest of the world?

I never said there was a cacophony of booing; whilst I type the word I still don't know what it means! However, I am sure again you heard it, I heard it and so did the other how many thousand fans and so did OUR players.

The OUR players bit and the affect that can have is what I have been commenting about throughout this thread.

I will gladly answer anymore questions you have, after all, this is looking like my second 50+ replies thread in 2 days; very exciting times for a saddo like me who rarely posts topics.

However, I would of thought that I (like others) have stated firmly where I sit on this issue and see no real reason to have to continually justify myself. Just to re-iterate (AGAIN): -

I thought the booing was unjust considering our position in the table and not necessary. I don't think this is the sort of support our players either want or deserve. I can do nothing much about it other than give my view on here.

O.K. to reitterate:

I'm not convinced it was aimed at the players.

A cacophany would suggest (as this thread does) that there was wide spread jeering of the team which i disagree with. In my opinion it was minimal, made inordinately audible by the crestfallen silence of the vast majority.

You are right to say that you do not have to continually justify your view, your opinion is as valid as anyone's. So don't feel you have to respond again, we simply disagree on the level of derision and who it may have been aimed at.

Leave it NEO!  :P Just admit that i'm right and you're wrong  :rolleyes:  Cor could be upto 1000 views by the end of today!  :D I really don't get how we have managed such a long thread.

Neo : Booing should never happen.

NailseaRed : Booing can happen when we play bad and deserve it.

:P

Ok. Sorry :(

To your goodself and Nogbad the Bad; thanks, it was fun whilst it lasted.

I have to now think of a topic for tomorrow, or preferably (from my boss' perspective) do what i'm paid to do! :dunno:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nailsea, that is bang out of order Booing Neo.

You've put him under immense pressure next time he appears on here to make a posting.

That's hardly going to encourage him to post well in the future, IS IT?

Most of those who are disappointed by Neo's posting have managed to react with silent dejection, but you just had to Boo, didn't you.

Still, i like to think that you are in a minimal minority and that your Booing is in any case aimed not at Neo, but at the frustrating moderators of this forum.

Archived