IGNORED

What Does It Take To Get The Old Timers Back?

swampy

OK - you all know that I was a City loyalist from '64 until a few years back. Saw promotion via the 2-0 win over Oldham, was at Coventry, saw promotion versus Portsmouth etc. There are thousands of us out here. What would it take to get you back to the Gate week in week out? Here are the things I currently loathe that put me off coming back to the Gate.

1. Ticket prices are pretty steep but, being fairly well-off, that is not a problem. What I resent is the fact that if I turn up on the day I am penalised relative to buying in advance - but if I buy in advance, the ticket discount is offset by all those bul=sh0t charges. Why cannot a fan simply turn up and hand over £15 or whatever to the turnstile operator like the way support can?

2. The lack of terracing where a fan can mix and mingle with his/her mates. And please don't say terracing is illegal ... and even if it was - pathetic.

3. Refreshments. Why sell out to a nationwide franchise like Lindley? Use a local contractor - source locally - Rovers do it and it's damn good.

4. Trying to hype up an atmosphere - fans create an atmosphere - not some PR person on a mike. Sad! Turn off the mike and the speakers and let the crowd do the business as they used to do many years ago.

5. The whole commercial aspect of everything at the club - sponsored shirts and shorts, stands and scoreboards .... bap and a beer for £10 - etc. You all read the official site - a deal a day if you have no brain cell.

And despite being one of the best supported clubs in Division 3, with the best 'revenue streams' .... we still lose out to Colchester and Southend, Cheltenham ...

One day I will come back to the Gate .... but, like many ex-fans, I refuse to be exploited. What would it take to get you -the other disaffected fans - back to South Bristol??

SWAMPY.

a leather clad blonde late 20's, stunning figure who wears falsies.

that's teeth, not bristols or eyelashes.

Ha ha. I was actually being serious. But if you insist, a mature 40 something - ideally born in '54 - who is 50 going on 47 ... and if there are any ladies out there who fit my ... hobbies include real ale and walking, being miserable and train-spotting from platform 13 at Temple Meads. Musical tastes include Al Stewart and Stackridge... oh never mind. (And don't tell the wife).

Nice post.

A winning team.

I've been a fan for 41 years and what that proved to me was that supporters will stand on terraces, grass banks and endure the worst of facilities to follow a succesful team.

We've been in this awful division for nine years, I think and there are a huge amount of disaffected supporters out there.

For me, the club has distanced itself from what used to be described as "the terrace fan" and currently has a horrible, beige, bland, PLC feel to it.

There is still a big time charlie feel to the place and a continual influx of new players (70+ in & out in the last two years) does nothing for continuity & consolidation.GJ may have made a major mistake in growing the Yeovil connection :dunno:

Our owner has a poor record of selecting managers, to date and every season seems to bring only another false dawn, broken dreams and dashed expectations.

Promotion & an a cup run that brings the club to national attention, would do it, I reckon.........but don't hold your breath :D

OK - you all know that I was a City loyalist from '64 until a few years back. Saw promotion via the 2-0 win over Oldham, was at Coventry, saw promotion versus Portsmouth etc. There are thousands of us out here. What would it take to get you back to the Gate week in week out? Here are the things I currently loathe that put me off coming back to the Gate.

2. The lack of terracing where a fan can mix and mingle with his/her mates. And please don't say terracing is illegal ... and even if it was - pathetic.

4. Trying to hype up an atmosphere - fans create an atmosphere - not some PR person on a mike. Sad! Turn off the mike and the speakers and let the crowd do the business as they used to do many years ago.

One day I will come back to the Gate .... but, like many ex-fans, I refuse to be exploited. What would it take to get you -the other disaffected fans - back to South Bristol??

SWAMPY.

Top post mate. Never a good idea to come on here after a few bevvies, however.....

The ones above are those I particularly agree with. I will never desert my club, but I feel well f---cked off with the way in which it - and football in general - is run nowadays. I used to stand in the East End and there would be up to 20/30 of us that would congregate in the same area. After-all seaters, we all dispersed to separate areas, or some stopped altogether. Sad, really sad.

Home to Oldham just a few years too early for me - 1965 I believe, with Big John playing - but home to Portsmouth 1976, away at Coventry 1978 will remember forever. And Leeds away 1974, Liverpool away circa 1992, Chester away 1986 to get out of the 4th div. Etc etc. But those are the easy games Swampy, we were all at those.

What about away at Mansfield on a cold Tuesday night, lost 2-0 with some bloke called Fred Barber performing heroics for them in goal. Or Hull, Boothferry Park, New Years Day 1984. Cost me my marriage that one - getting married that is, cos the only way I could think of getting a pass to go to that game was to propose in a romantic sort of way at midnight the previous night. She still wasnt too happy when me mates pulled up the following morning at 9am though.

Football is a game for the ordinary bloke controlled increasingly by nobs. In glass boxes and in "Premier Seating".

Getting angry now, just deleted some outrageous spot-on stuff, but possibly libellous! :ranting:

Nice post.

A winning team.

I've been a fan for 41 years and what that proved to me was that supporters will stand on terraces, grass banks and endure the worst of facilities to follow a succesful team.

We've been in this awful division for nine years, I think and there are a huge amount of disaffected supporters out there.

For me, the club has distanced itself from what used to be described as "the terrace fan" and currently has a horrible, beige, bland, PLC feel to it.

There is still a big time charlie feel to the place and a continual influx of new players (70+ in & out in the last two years) does nothing for continuity & consolidation.GJ may have made a major mistake in growing the Yeovil connection :dunno:

Our owner has a poor record of selecting managers, to date and every season seems to bring only another false dawn, broken dreams and dashed expectations.

Promotion & an a cup run that brings the club to national attention, would do it, I reckon.........but don't hold your breath :D

Certainly a long and frustrating period of mediocrity.

Sadly your point regarding selection of management is at the end of the day the most crucial point in our clubs standing.That S.L.craves success is not in question but it is reality that since the Dicks era no manager has ever left us and developed their career with any real success in the english game in their own right as a club manager.It's actually the ones that came close in the interviews that have enjoyed degrees of success;Joe Royle,David Moyes,Martin O'Nell, & Peter Taylor.

Quite rightly you mention the need of winning to gain attention and not least to attract customers to the distractions of the Sextonesque corporate inspired soccer experience,3rd rate soccer but with a "Premiership feel".

G.J. certainly has polarised the club,for the club and his faithful disciples I really hope he can put us on the map for the right reasons but what a crappy,rotten road this has proved to be.

Top post mate. Never a good idea to come on here after a few bevvies, however.....

The ones above are those I particularly agree with. I will never desert my club, but I feel well f---cked off with the way in which it - and football in general - is run nowadays. I used to stand in the East End and there would be up to 20/30 of us that would congregate in the same area. After-all seaters, we all dispersed to separate areas, or some stopped altogether. Sad, really sad.

Home to Oldham just a few years too early for me - 1965 I believe, with Big John playing - but home to Portsmouth 1976, away at Coventry 1978 will remember forever. And Leeds away 1974, Liverpool away circa 1992, Chester away 1986 to get out of the 4th div. Etc etc. But those are the easy games Swampy, we were all at those.

What about away at Mansfield on a cold Tuesday night, lost 2-0 with some bloke called Fred Barber performing heroics for them in goal. Or Hull, Boothferry Park, New Years Day 1984. Cost me my marriage that one - getting married that is, cos the only way I could think of getting a pass to go to that game was to propose in a romantic sort of way at midnight the previous night. She still wasnt too happy when me mates pulled up the following morning at 9am though.

Football is a game for the ordinary bloke controlled increasingly by nobs. In glass boxes and in "Premier Seating".

Getting angry now, just deleted some outrageous spot-on stuff, but possibly libellous! :ranting:

:chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez: Team spirit off as well as on the pitch; access to ALL AREAS and home fans treated the same as away fans; East East Eastenders :dance::chant6ez::city:

I will never abandon our club but it is becoming increasingly difficult to make the effort to get there; the crack and banter is being squeezed out by a few and is nearly gone completely; :(

Certainly a long and frustrating period of mediocrity.

Sadly your point regarding selection of management is at the end of the day the most crucial point in our clubs standing.That S.L.craves success is not in question but it is reality that since the Dicks era no manager has ever left us and developed their career with any real success in the english game in their own right as a club manager.It's actually the ones that came close in the interviews that have enjoyed degrees of success;Joe Royle,David Moyes,Martin O'Nell, & Peter Taylor.

Quite rightly you mention the need of winning to gain attention and not least to attract customers to the distractions of the Sextonesque corporate inspired soccer experience,3rd rate soccer but with a "Premiership feel".

G.J. certainly has polarised the club,for the club and his faithful disciples I really hope he can put us on the map for the right reasons but what a crappy,rotten road this has proved to be.

1. Ticket prices are pretty steep but, being fairly well-off, that is not a problem. What I resent is the fact that if I turn up on the day I am penalised relative to buying in advance - but if I buy in advance, the ticket discount is offset by all those bul=sh0t charges. Why cannot a fan simply turn up and hand over £15 or whatever to the turnstile operator like the way support can?

3. Refreshments. Why sell out to a nationwide franchise like Lindley? Use a local contractor - source locally - Rovers do it and it's damn good.

5. The whole commercial aspect of everything at the club - sponsored shirts and shorts, stands and scoreboards .... bap and a beer for £10 - etc. You all read the official site - a deal a day if you have no brain cell.

And despite being one of the best supported clubs in Division 3, with the best 'revenue streams' .... we still lose out to Colchester and Southend, Cheltenham ...

SWAMPY.

How can anyone be an 'ex-fan'? :dunno: You can't change your football club.

You either follow City or you don't and as you bother to post on the clubs forum it suggests that you still do City despite your vitriol about what wrong at AG and why you don't go to matches.The bottom line is nowadays football clubs have to be run like a buisness and thats about making money.More money = better players = better results = promotion ect,ect.

I wouldn't call you an 'ex-fan' I say you are a partimer. :laugh:

How can anyone be an 'ex-fan'? :dunno: You can't change your football club.

You either follow City or you don't and as you bother to post on the clubs forum it suggests that you still do City despite your vitriol about what wrong at AG and why you don't go to matches.The bottom line is nowadays football clubs have to be run like a buisness and thats about making money.More money = better players = better results = promotion ect,ect.

I wouldn't call you an 'ex-fan' I say you are a partimer. :laugh:

If thats the bottom line, whats happening to us :farmer:

The bottom line is nowadays football clubs have to be run like a buisness and thats about making money.More money = better players = better results = promotion ect,ect.

But the only problem is Robbored...................We are not making more money - the players arn't better - nor are the results - and promotion is, at this moment, as far away as ever.

I agree with Lotusman who said:

the Sextonesque corporate inspired soccer experience,3rd rate soccer but with a "Premiership feel".

For example I watched the one of the home games from the new Premier Seats as I was fortunate to get the offer of a free ticket from a friend when his business colleage dropped out. I thought I had landed on another planet as I took my place in the Premier lounge.

I thought I had wandered in to some kind of corporate seminar, People with name tags around their necks , decked out in smart but casual clothes, quietly in conversation with their fellows as black uniformed waiters glided around - Beer was crap by the way - and as a "Suit" guided us towards a doorway at 2.50pm I half expected to enter into a room with flip charts and overheads etc!! Quite a suprise to remeber we were actually there for a game.

No passion

No noise

No banter

No thanks

I do attend every home game (& some aways) because I support the team but I don't like this new direction either, and have some sympathy with Swampy - the club would do well to try to listen to these points

In answer to the original question about getting disaffected fans "back to South Bristol"

I would imagine a lot of them will be back on Sat December 16th !!

The bottom line is nowadays football clubs have to be run like a buisness and thats about making money.More money = better players = better results = promotion ect,ect.

Very, very, wrong.

Football is not about making money.

Your equation, applied to every football club, is an impossibility.

I agree with Lotusman who said:

the Sextonesque corporate inspired soccer experience,3rd rate soccer but with a "Premiership feel".

For example I watched the one of the home games from the new Premier Seats as I was fortunate to get the offer of a free ticket from a friend when his business colleage dropped out. I thought I had landed on another planet as I took my place in the Premier lounge.

I thought I had wandered in to some kind of corporate seminar, People with name tags around their necks , decked out in smart but casual clothes, quietly in conversation with their fellows as black uniformed waiters glided around - Beer was crap by the way - and as a "Suit" guided us towards a doorway at 2.50pm I half expected to enter into a room with flip charts and overheads etc!! Quite a suprise to remeber we were actually there for a game.

No passion

No noise

No banter

No thanks

Very funny and oh so accurate.

SWAMPY.

Superb post but the answer i would give as someone who has seem many of his friends and former stalwarts

of the really bad days say goodbye to City would use the word "respect"!

Good post, and I fully understand this view. After 28 years I have never felt so fed up with City - I just have the feeling that if we ever go up and make progress, we will see even more Corporate areas, and the riff raff will just be left the second rate seats, and be charged a fortune for it. All we can hope is that the suits find some other way of wasting Company money... Sorry, "Entertaining" and the Clubs start looking at true fans again.

And on the pitch, the fact that the Club have regularly picked Bas ands Basso hardly inspires, although in fairness, at least Bas was entertaining in a bizarre way!

Good post, and I fully understand this view. After 28 years I have never felt so fed up with City - I just have the feeling that if we ever go up and make progress, we will see even more Corporate areas, and the riff raff will just be left the second rate seats, and be charged a fortune for it. All we can hope is that the suits find some other way of wasting Company money... Sorry, "Entertaining" and the Clubs start looking at true fans again.

Do you have any suggestions as to how enough money can be generated to keep the club afloat? What 'fan friendly' ways are there to increase revenue?

With people like Swampy - who calls himself a supporter - staying away its no suprise that the club relies on the board to keep it from administration.

Its all very well critising the corporate approach but as yet I don't see any alternative options being suggested.

Do you have any suggestions as to how enough money can be generated to keep the club afloat? What 'fan friendly' ways are there to increase revenue?

With people like Swampy - who calls himself a supporter - staying away its no suprise that the club relies on the board to keep it from administration.

Its all very well critising the corporate approach but as yet I don't see any alternative options being suggested.

Encourage fans to go like open the ####### East End, get an atmosphere back! They are pushing away the working class fan for these prawn sandwich brigade, who they think will put the money in the club. Fans like myself have watched the changes going on at the gate but what has it done for the standard of the football. I don't care about luxuries at football, i would stand in a pile of dogs crap all the game to see City play well. Keep the fans happy and they will pay there money.

Encourage fans to go like open the ####### East End, get an atmosphere back! They are pushing away the working class fan for these prawn sandwich brigade, who they think will put the money in the club. Fans like myself have watched the changes going on at the gate but what has it done for the standard of the football. I don't care about luxuries at football, i would stand in a pile of dogs crap all the game to see City play well. Keep the fans happy and they will pay there money.

I can't see how opening the East End will increase revenue.The fans that go in there will simply have moved from G Block.If anything it would cost the club money with the extra stewards and turnstyle staff to employ.

The atmosphere at AG can be brilliant when the team is performing well.Most of us remember the play-off against Hartlepool just three seasons ago.It not rocket science to work out that a successfull team increases the gate receipts.

It comes down to my original point in this thread about more money = better players = better results ect,ect.

I can't see how opening the East End will increase revenue.The fans that go in there will simply have moved from G Block.If anything it would cost the club money with the extra stewards and turnstyle staff to employ.

The atmosphere at AG can be brilliant when the team is performing well.Most of us remember the play-off against Hartlepool just three seasons ago.It not rocket science to work out that a successfull team increases the gate receipts.

It comes down to my original point in this thread about more money = better players = better results ect,ect.

If the atmosphere improves i feel it will help the players on the pitch to get better results. Not only this it will bring back fans through the turnstyles. "yes " the atmosphere at the gate was electric, but wasn't the East open for City fans. Wasn't it the East who kept on singing when we were losing that kept the players believing in themselves. How many of these new seats were empty last home game?. How many of these corporate fans will bring their sons back with them with that non existant atmosphere? I agree that good results bring in the crowds, but how many fans are turning their backs because every season things don't really improve but the entrance fee goes up.

Firstly it will stop many fans losing interest in the totally p.c Gate; as this week already this club has introduced incentives to increase attendances; opening our home end will increase interest in what is becoming a lifeless ground.

Most of us do remember Hartlepool you obviously were not stood in the lively, noisey part of the ground THE EAST END;

Better players does not always = better results.

I feel as I am sure many do life is being squeezed out of our home ground; it will not be long before the sound of silence is the norm, broken only by polite applause :disapointed2se:

Robbored - In theory, yes, but it is this "Money is God" approach that is turning Pubs into 'Themed Licensed Establishments' selling over-priced rubbish made by multi-national "breweries" using only traditional chemicals. It is why your local High Street can only offer you Corporate Junk Food or plastic sanwiches. It is why every Town Centre looks the same. And it is why Football Clubs are turning into Corporate Leisure Experiences. If City need to charge £21 to maintain a squad of mundane journeymen, why can Bundesliga Clubs charge much less? And what happens when the prawn sandwich brigade move on?

I agree with looking at other revenue streams, but they are putting too much effort into this, and ignoring the average Joe Punter.

Could try taking a catering contract from a company that can supply food and drink beyond halftime with a half empty ground.; and avoid queueing for less than 3 weeks to find that out :ranting:

We are ALL supporters but some it seems are considerably more important than others;

Give the home fans what the away fans get; the East End and a bit of understanding with less zealous stewards. :dunno:

The atmosphere at the gate is embarrassing even when City are doing well it is still poor constantly. The East End improves atmosphere when it is open to City fans as away fans have remarked and know as they get to use it.

Atmosphere is part or should be of the flavour of watching football and I have taken non City supporting kids to our ground and have they really enjoyed the passion on offer from the ground? No they did not because passion has ceased to be something displayed by supporters at the Gate but is sighted constantly away from home. We who do travel away constantly want the return of our the East End because we know that the vocal support can be displayed at home.

A better atmosphere may urge the team on.

A better atmosphere will bring a few back who have been turned away by the sterile feel of Ashton Gate.

Opening the East End may stir others around the ground out of their coma.

I feel and always have that the East End is of benefit to City and properly ran will make money for the club.

I do not feel that having fans like myself paying £325 for something they do not want is healthy for BCFC.

My support for City has never depended on the team as in the darkest days I actually went more but I did get choice and the opportunity to show a bit of passion all for £1 a game. Now I get shafted.

I talk about respect and i feel i get none from our club but they are prepared to get out there and consult some 5000 business's while failing to consult or apologise to those they are about to boot out of their seats.

Who is now of importance to Bristol your City because the theme running through this thread is that City have forgotten about part of their long standing support and want to replace them.

Sexstone can have his revenue streams but he needs to remember where they were in 82 in the days of support Bristol City now or never, because that type of "fan" may not have the staying power of the rest of us for what no doubt will be further decades of adversity on the pitch.

The atmosphere at the gate is embarrassing even when City are doing well it is still poor constantly. The East End improves atmosphere when it is open to City fans as away fans have remarked and know as they get to use it.

Atmosphere is part or should be of the flavour of watching football and I have taken non City supporting kids to our ground and have they really enjoyed the passion on offer from the ground? No they did not because passion has ceased to be something displayed by supporters at the Gate but is sighted constantly away from home. We who do travel away constantly want the return of our the East End because we know that the vocal support can be displayed at home.

A better atmosphere will bring a few back who have been turned away by the sterile feel of Ashton Gate.

I feel and always have that the East End is of benefit to City and properly ran will make money for the club.

I do not feel that having fans like myself paying £325 for something they do not want is healthy for BCFC.

My support for City has never depended on the team as in the darkest days I actually went more but I did get choice and the opportunity to show a bit of passion all for £1 a game. Now I get shafted.

I talk about respect and i feel i get none from our club but they are prepared to get out there and consult some 5000 business's while failing to consult or apologise to those they are about to boot out of their seats.

Who is now of importance to Bristol your City because the theme running through this thread is that City have forgotten about part of their long standing support and want to replace them.

Sexstone can have his revenue streams but he needs to remember where they were in 82 in the days of support Bristol City now or never, because that type of "fan" may not have the staying power of the rest of us for what no doubt will be further decades of adversity on the pitch.

:chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez: We will still be here when they have gone; "my way or the highway" by the suits aint for me :ranting:

I agree that the atmosphere at the Gate is sometimes lacking but I'm not convinced that opening the East End is the answer.If I recall correctly the last time it was open there were about 500 of which 350 were Burberry's all paying more attention to the away fans and trying to impress their mates by looking 'ard.Not exactly the type of image football clubs are trying to promote.

I agree that the atmosphere at the Gate is sometimes lacking but I'm not convinced that opening the East End is the answer.If I recall correctly the last time it was open there were about 500 of which 350 were Burberry's all paying more attention to the away fans and trying to impress their mates by looking 'ard.Not exactly the type of image football clubs are trying to promote.

I was in there last time and as i remember the atmosphere was really good so good in fact my Mrs remarked how much she was looking forward to going in there again.Of course i informed her that it was going to be knocked down but........! The Donny fans also remarked [ on rivals i think] how good the support from City fans and how impressed they were at the vareity of songs sung not that any moment fearsome firms of loons were going to in full view of the cctv scale the fence and rip them to shreds.I remember no arrests or trouble but yes quite a few stood but then to our left so were Donny.

Your image is negative while mine is positive but you are happy with what you are getting for your cash.

So are you happy with the image of the club that is being portrayed by others on here not by myself because pr wise City look shabby to many?

Excellent post, wish i could put my sentiments down in words... like that :chant6ez:

I will always support bristol city football club, My first love, My last love. No woman can take this feeling away from me. What really gets to me is the number of so called fans that use the expression "my second club" or "my other team". I am city till i die. My love for this club will support them whichever division they are in. Here is the way forward for another topic, When will the so called supporters be happy with bristol city f.c.

Thank-you guys for not slagging me off. That post about the Premier Seating had me reaching for the sick bag - sounded so awful. I am City deep down but always believe in supporting my local side - so have renewed season ticket for a local non-league side. Moved out from Bristol a few years ago. £60 = season ticket plus programmes plus club membership and 10 minutes from home and free parking etc - cost of ONE visit to BS3. OK - the quality of football is cr#p in comparison but I can mix and mingle with the fans around me, have a beer without being some corporate hospitality member, be known to the club as a human being and not a number on a database, etc. Bit like supporting City used to be. I guess my feelings are the product of old age - "Ah the good old days .." PS. Did anybody ever spot Colin Sexstone on the terraces at the Gate before he became a salaried staff member??? Always keen to push his South Bristol credentials ...

Keep the club afloat? don't make me laugh.

Average gates of 11/12,000 against 5/6,000 for most other teams in this division?

How do you think they "keep themselves afloat"? Because it aint through loans from wealthy benefactors who will one day want to be repaid, and it aint through "Premier Seating".

You are deluding yourself if you think "the club relies on the board to keep it from administration".

Any number of people could run this club to the standard it is now, WITHOUT pumping in loans which end up being wasted and eventually being paid for by us the true supporters and WITHOUT turfing long-time supporters out of their seats.

Here's a suggestion, if you want one. Assemble a playing squad with ability and wage bill of Southend and Colchester. What do you say to that?

Think again.

PS. Did anybody ever spot Colin Sexstone on the terraces at the Gate before he became a salaried staff member??? Always keen to push his South Bristol credentials ...

No.

Archived