IGNORED

£2million: Enough To Buy Our Way Out Of Div.1 ?

headhunter

This is a big chunk of wonga to have at this level.

Now what do we do with it.

Ok, let's start by using £750k to reduce the loss for the financial year [it's more like £1m than the £2m]

That leaves £1.25m

That is enough to by, say,3 QUALITY players - could be the spine of the team i.e. forward / midfield / defender.

There must be one or two experienced pros at championship level we could tempt. We've also got £2500 per week saved on wages with Stewart going on loan so on the assumption that this is extended through to the end of the season that could cover 3 guys at £800 per week more than our current average wage.

One problem in all of this - GJ. In my opinion his insecurity about his own ability is such that I don't think he can manage quality players who have achieved more than him and as such might challenge his authority in the dressing room. I hope he proves me wrong.

[Cotterill for £2m - fantastic business. How he played on Tuesday made the difference - why didn't he play like that 3 in 4 rather than 1 in 10?]

So, can GJ be trusted with £1m+ ????

i don't think any amount of money guarantees you sucess. yes, chelsea have acheived this through the money they have, but they have still got to buy the right players to mix it up right.

i would be happy to see 500k spent on a couple of new players, mainly a left winger.

but as i said in another post, this is a great chance for scott brown to show what he can do.

that could cover 3 guys at £800 per week more than our current average wage.

that's the reason it won't happen - GJ has been trying to REDUCE the wages and was one of the reasons he got rid of Stewart, GJ doesn't like the "star man" situation. He feels it breeds resentment, he wants a close, together squad all with same ambitions and same rewards.

Bringing in players on more money than the rest of the squad will see all our players agents knocking on SL/GJ's door asking for the same money.

Reality check needed this isn't Championship Manager- the £2M won't make ANY difference to the team. As it was with the £1M we got from Lita. SL said on R. Bris this morning that the money goes into the football side but mentioned wages for new coaches, acadamy, players already signed, blah,blah.

Reality check needed this isn't Championship Manager- the £2M won't make ANY difference to the team. As it was with the £1M we got from Lita. SL said on R. Bris this morning that the money goes into the football side but mentioned wages for new coaches, acadamy, players already signed, blah,blah.

That's highly encouraging then, it may not be Championship manager but for a club which by my calculation now has a first team squad of only about 18 players and has moved Heywood, Cotterill, Smith and (temporarily) Stewart on this month, surely two or three new players on loan now to sign permanently in the window isn't really too much to ask?

If GJ wants to sign these players from Prem reserves sides, Yeovil or Hearts, that's no bother to me because he's the manager and it's his call.

Don't forget , for the umpteenth time we were told "this is our year".

I very much doubt that GJ will see over £1M of this money to spend on players.

This is the point I was trying to make when everyone was getting excited by the "we've got £2M to spend" BS.

I go to AG to watch the football, not to see SL lining his pockets.

You what? Lining his pockets??? Are you mad, ignorant or stupid? I'm not SL's biggest fan. Infact I really don't like him, however, to say he's lining his pockets is just plain daft.

All he's doing by selling DC is sewing up a massive hole in his pockets. In otherwords , just making sure we don't suffer the same feit as Rotherham etc.

You what? Lining his pockets??? Are you mad, ignorant or stupid? I'm not SL's biggest fan. Infact I really don't like him, however, to say he's lining his pockets is just plain daft.

All he's doing by selling DC is sewing up a massive hole in his pockets. In otherwords , just making sure we don't suffer the same feit as Rotherham etc.

Oh, I'm sorry I must of missed the story on the main site saying that we were facing financial ruin.

Was it not that long ago that we were putting in bids for Michael Reddy near on £400k.

Oh, I'm sorry I must of missed the story on the main site saying that we were facing financial ruin.

Was it not that long ago that we were putting in bids for Michael Reddy near on £400k.

Ok..So, lets just say it's your money albany. What would you do? The fact that we're putting inflated bids in for players is a fair point. However, do you think that Rotherham etc found themselves in their situation over night? I think not. All I'm saying is that £2 million for a kid that , lets be honest, hasn't really done much to date, is a cracking deal and one that had to be snapped up. Football is a game of if's and buts. But what would you be saying IF DC left for nothing in a couple of seasons ?

Lansdown has lent this club millions. If you dislike him that much you should be suggesting that the £2 million should go straight to paying off some of his loans, so that he can easily leave the club. To suggest he's lining his pockets because we previously put in a bid for a player shows phenomenal financial ignorance.

We're not facing financial ruin, because Lansdown has stabilised our debt. But we owe him a lot of money.

Personally I feel our squad is good enough to make the play-offs as it is, and would like to see half go to reducing debts and the other half spent on scouting / academy.

Ok..So, lets just say it's your money albany. What would you do? The fact that we're putting inflated bids in for players is a fair point. However, do you think that Rotherham etc found themselves in their situation over night? I think not. All I'm saying is that £2 million for a kid that , lets be honest, hasn't really done much to date, is a cracking deal and one that had to be snapped up. Football is a game of if's and buts. But what would you be saying IF DC left for nothing in a couple of seasons ?

As sipowicz said in an earlier post we keep getting told "this is our year", but it's never going to be because we keep selling.

As sipowicz said in an earlier post we keep getting told "this is our year", but it's never going to be because we keep selling.

So, what would you like the managers, players and board to say in August?

" We have graet hope for the coming season that we will sell all our best assets. We would like to have more points than a triangle by the end of september and if we can finnish in 7th place again this year we'd be delighted. Oh and we're bringing out a new home, away, third, fourth........seventh, eighth and a bright pink nineth shirt in case we play Barcelona in the LDV. "

I think not. Every club has to be positive at the start of a season. We're no different. Apart from the fact that most of our fans have unrealistic expectations.

Like it or not City are a small selling club. We're a big fish in a tiny pond at the moment but we're like a goldfish in the Atlantic when Premiership clubs come sniffing around. Just remember it wasn't that long ago that DC was valued at £1m by most of the guys on here. A million in a few months isn't bad business. I also think the point everyone is missing out on here is that DC himself WANTED to go. That plays a massive part in yesterdays deal.

Lansdown has lent this club millions. If you dislike him that much you should be suggesting that the £2 million should go straight to paying off some of his loans, so that he can easily leave the club. To suggest he's lining his pockets because we previously put in a bid for a player shows phenomenal financial ignorance.

We're not facing financial ruin, because Lansdown has stabilised our debt. But we owe him a lot of money.

Personally I feel our squad is good enough to make the play-offs as it is, and would like to see half go to reducing debts and the other half spent on scouting / academy.

stabilised a debt that he himself has been responsible for (mis) managing over the last 10-12 years?

I wasn't aware he HAD stabilised any such debt - we still run at a significant loss.

If we had a board that knew how to actually run a football club and not spend their lives in crisis management we wouldn't have ammassed a debt that in turn required 'loans' from the directors.

Steven Lansdown has his loans neatly secured against the club and is under no threat of losing his money.

We as fans however are expected to pay up for 3rd rate football with little indication that it will change.

An announcement about a transfer warchest is only going to alert other clubs, so don't expect that. but SL also uses that ruse to avoid specifics about transfers - look at what we actually spent this summer.

good business by GJ? who knows - so far not!! the Lita money went where exactly?

For this approach to work we need to be feeding youngsters into the first team quicker than this.

currently no-one is really being given a run out (williams is just on the first step)

Are we a selling club? yes.

do we have an ambition for promotion - genuine ambition - not in my eyes.

do we have a good board - not by a long chalk

this decision was a good deal in cold financial terms, but in terms of the team, the fans, the prospects for this season and consequent financial potential, no it wasn't

So, what would you like the managers, players and board to say in August?

" We have graet hope for the coming season that we will sell all our best assets. We would like to have more points than a triangle by the end of september and if we can finnish in 7th place again this year we'd be delighted. Oh and we're bringing out a new home, away, third, fourth........seventh, eighth and a bright pink nineth shirt in case we play Barcelona in the LDV. "

I think not. Every club has to be positive at the start of a season. We're no different. Apart from the fact that most of our fans have unrealistic expectations.

Like it or not City are a small selling club. We're a big fish in a tiny pond at the moment but we're like a goldfish in the Atlantic when Premiership clubs come sniffing around. Just remember it wasn't that long ago that DC was valued at £1m by most of the guys on here. A million in a few months isn't bad business. I also think the point everyone is missing out on here is that DC himself WANTED to go. That plays a massive part in yesterdays deal.

Sure DC wanted the move when it came, but think on this - if we were a genuinely exciting club, challenging for top places, with a buzz about the place that suggested we really WANTED it, would he have been so quick to go?

plenty of youngsters stay and play for the club becasue they believe in it. We don't engender that support from our players, so what does it say about our management?

stabilised a debt that he himself has been responsible for (mis) managing over the last 10-12 years?

I wasn't aware he HAD stabilised any such debt - we still run at a significant loss.

If we had a board that knew how to actually run a football club and not spend their lives in crisis management we wouldn't have ammassed a debt that in turn required 'loans' from the directors.

Steven Lansdown has his loans neatly secured against the club and is under no threat of losing his money.

We as fans however are expected to pay up for 3rd rate football with little indication that it will change.

An announcement about a transfer warchest is only going to alert other clubs, so don't expect that. but SL also uses that ruse to avoid specifics about transfers - look at what we actually spent this summer.

good business by GJ? who knows - so far not!! the Lita money went where exactly?

For this approach to work we need to be feeding youngsters into the first team quicker than this.

currently no-one is really being given a run out (williams is just on the first step)

Are we a selling club? yes.

do we have an ambition for promotion - genuine ambition - not in my eyes.

do we have a good board - not by a long chalk

this decision was a good deal in cold financial terms, but in terms of the team, the fans, the prospects for this season and consequent financial potential, no it wasn't

Sure DC wanted the move when it came, but think on this - if we were a genuinely exciting club, challenging for top places, with a buzz about the place that suggested we really WANTED it, would he have been so quick to go?

plenty of youngsters stay and play for the club becasue they believe in it. We don't engender that support from our players, so what does it say about our management?

True. I agree that the club has been mis managed for many years at many levels. SL hasn't been the most inovative chairmen but he has stabalised a rocking ship. This is in part why I don't agree with him. He tends to take very small risks but make very big mistakes. However, in saying that, it is his money and I don't balme him.

I always dream of making it MASSIVE and having loads of cash. As a result I imagine ways I could spend my cash making City a BIG club. But if I did have loads of cash would I flitter it away on City. Probably not.

Archived