IGNORED

Evening Post Comment

Olé

Despite having a huge CCTV shot of the players brawling splashed across the front page under the headline 'shameful' and more CCTV pictures packed onto the following two pages of shock and sensation, there's actually a fairly good comment piece by the intelligent Nathan Jones in the sports section of today's Evening Post, summing up all the events of the past week as the worst in the club's history.

This passage deserves reproducing because it makes a couple of very astute points:

"Cotterill, however hit and miss his performances were, will be incredibly hard to replace. He gave pace and verve to an often static City attack.

Loans cannot now be taken before Friday and clubs are traditionally reluctant to part with real talent. Let's face it, not many Premiership managers will be impressed by recent matters at City, will they?

From outside it doesn't look the best place to send an impressionable teenager, making his formative steps in the game."

Very valid assumption - it really makes me wonder how many of these seemingly premature departures of Cotterill, Anyinsah, Rosenior, Golbourne, and so forth, reflect the acquiring club's desire to get their long-term targets prematurely away from the perceived damage of our first team's less than professional behaviour, rather than continue to track the players progress and move when genuinely ready!?

Despite having a huge CCTV shot of the players brawling splashed across the front page under the headline 'shameful' and more CCTV pictures packed onto the following two pages of shock and sensation, there's actually a fairly good comment piece by the intelligent Nathan Jones in the sports section of today's Evening Post, summing up all the events of the past week as the worst in the club's history.

This passage deserves reproducing because it makes a couple of very astute points:

"Cotterill, however hit and miss his performances were, will be incredibly hard to replace. He gave pace and verve to an often static City attack.

Loans cannot now be taken before Friday and clubs are traditionally reluctant to part with real talent. Let's face it, not many Premiership managers will be impressed by recent matters at City, will they?

From outside it doesn't look the best place to send an impressionable teenager, making his formative steps in the game."

Very valid assumption - it really makes me wonder how many of these seemingly premature departures of Cotterill, Anyinsah, Rosenior, Golbourne, and so forth, reflect the acquiring club's desire to get their long-term targets prematurely away from the perceived damage of our first team's less than professional behaviour, rather than continue to track the players progress and move when genuinely ready!?

is this the same Nathen Jones that was barely able to contain his glee at Marcus scoring last night, the same impartial reporter that took great pains to point out that Marcus was such a good footballer, but he can't get a game at City etc etc, and is this the same 'impartial' newspaper that has consistantly failed to report on other local clubs misdeeds and players court cases?

Vultures have an easy life - they only feed on carrion.

lock and load - COME ON YOU REDS!

is this the same Nathen Jones that was barely able to contain his glee at Marcus scoring last night, the same impartial reporter that took great pains to point out that Marcus was such a good footballer, but he can't get a game at City etc etc, and is this the same 'impartial' newspaper that has consistantly failed to report on other local clubs misdeeds and players court cases?

Suspect his "impartial" is different to yours?

The same Nathan Jones that slates city in all his previews of our games. i.e todays was, Brighton the only club in league 1 in worse form than bristol city.

T0SSER.

Interesting topic - I think every player has there price and Cotts went for more than his. As for the others, especially Rosenior we let them go for peanuts. It was a wise move for Cotts to sign a long term contract so when he did get his inevitable move, it would be for high value, not some scrappy deal leading to a tribunal.

Both parties are winners. We get a healthy fee, he gets a dream move. I hope we get Jennison on a long term contract soon so we fend off anyone looking to 'poach' him so that if he leaves, its not a 'waste' or 'lack of ambition' because we should get good money for producing these players. Thats what we deserve.

I'm sorry. I dislike criticizing other journos (unless they work for the Grauniad), but I cannot take seriously any article written by someone purporting to be an expert in our club who suggests, as Nathan Jones' did in his opinion piece, that the previous week was the worst in Bristol City's history.

Really? Are you sure? Worse than a certain week in 1982? It's not even in the same league as that and any article that claims otherwise is instantly discredited in my eyes by either the author's lack of knowledge or his inability to place the previous week, gut-wrenching though it was, into its true wider context.

I'm sorry. I dislike criticizing other journos (unless they work for the Grauniad), but I cannot take seriously any article written by someone purporting to be an expert in our club who suggests, as Nathan Jones' did in his opinion piece, that the previous week was the worst in Bristol City's history.

Really? Are you sure? Worse than a certain week in 1982? It's not even in the same league as that and any article that claims otherwise is instantly discredited in my eyes by either the author's lack of knowledge or his inability to place the previous week, gut-wrenching though it was, into its true wider context.

Quite right RedTop, and was last week really worse than the week in 1909 when we lost the FA Cup final to Man Ure? :o:farmer:

My birth certificate says to hate everyone equally.

You know what Antman, I'me beginning to like you..a little.

If we ended every week with 6 points in the bag and £2m in the bank then I don't think anyone would be complaining!

If we ended every week with 6 points in the bag and £2m in the bank then I don't think anyone would be complaining!

but on the opposite scale, we would run out of players by next month because they would be all banged up. :devil:

Archived