IGNORED

Role Models.

Brianred

Once again Pete Doherty escapes a prison sentence for possessing drugs, WHY? because the judge said it was because of his attempts to come off of drugs and she liked one of his songs!

He was there for 5 counts of possessing drugs. One count in August the other four in April. He was arrested in April just two hours after being sentenced to two year community order for previous drug offences.

What i find which is wrong that a Musician and a football player are both in the entertainment world with a public following of different age groups but both are role models. Surely if you are going to make an example out of one you make an example out of all.

What would you rather have, a guitar playing junkie for a son or a footballer who has a few too many and ends up in a fight (once in a blue moon)? I just wish we had that judge and she liked Brookers goal at Northampton.

but if Pete Doherty had had the same judge as Brooker and Orr he would probably be locked up for 6 months at least by now. And if Orr and Brooks had had Pete's judge they would probably be on the 100hrs community service with Brown getting next to nothing.

It appears as though judges get to use their discression, which does seem quite an odd thing when you consider how important their decisions are for both the accused and (in some cases) their victims.

Sending people to with drug problems to jail simply doesn't work.All the evidence shows that around 80% of those convicted relapse into to drugs within days of their release and so the cycle of drug fuelled crime continues.

What they need is rehab.Evidence from the USA shows that relapse rates of those sent to rehab instead of prison very significantly reduces relapse rates down to around 23% depending on which research you read.

Guest DrFaustus

Peter Doherty should be locked in a cell with a needle and half a tonne of smack, that'd be the last time I have to see his freaky rat boy pasty face on the news.

The liberal approach? Like it.

So do you contend that your players should have had harsher sentences Nibor, you know..like you've been saying on our forum? Christ, it comes to something when a Gashead sticks up for shithead players on our forum and then the shithead Supoorters Club bods start arguing that their own players got off lightly!

The liberal approach? Like it.

So do you contend that your players should have had harsher sentences Nibor, you know..like you've been saying on our forum?

Bit out of context Doc, either you've been on Stella (poor lass) or your eyes are failing you.

The players (apart from perhaps Partridge) were hard done by because anyone not a footballer up for the same would not have got bird for it. They should be treated the same as anyone else, not picked out because of their occupation. That's actually what I said.

I also said that the law is in my opinion far too lenient on people in general who get convicted for drunken street violence.

Making the sentences for the offences higher across the board would be a bit of a deterrent. Giving footballers harsher sentences than the norm isn't.

I reserve a special type of disgust with a gifted musician like Doherty who gets to nail supermodels and make millions yet seems determined to kill himself for a cheap high. As far as I'm concerned let him get on with it, I'm sick of hearing about it.

Guest DrFaustus

Bit out of context Doc, either you've been on Stella (poor lass) or your eyes are failing you.

The players (apart from perhaps Partridge) were hard done by because anyone not a footballer up for the same would not have got bird for it. They should be treated the same as anyone else, not picked out because of their occupation. That's actually what I said.

I also said that the law is in my opinion far too lenient on people in general who get convicted for drunken street violence.

Making the sentences for the offences higher across the board would be a bit of a deterrent. Giving footballers harsher sentences than the norm isn't.

I reserve a special type of disgust with a gifted musician like Doherty who gets to nail supermodels and make millions yet seems determined to kill himself for a cheap high. As far as I'm concerned let him get on with it, I'm sick of hearing about it.

Stella?Credit me with some taste. I'm sober and the eyesight works fine when I'm not looking at welivetogether.com

"I agree that the punishment for that and similar offences should be much more severe than it is, and from that respect Brooker, Orr and Partridge got off lightly."

It sounded to me that you thought they should have had harsher sentences.

Stella?Credit me with some taste. I'm sober and the eyesight works fine when I'm not looking at welivetogether.com

"I agree that the punishment for that and similar offences should be much more severe than it is, and from that respect Brooker, Orr and Partridge got off lightly."

It sounded to me that you thought they should have had harsher sentences.

I can't credit a pikey gashead with taste now can I?

The second line of my post should have made it clearer...

"However, given that the punishment typically does not end up being jail time, I think it's wrong that they are treated differently just because of their occupation. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually illegal to do so as well."

I think they were done by as it stands right now... however I think how it stands right now is wrong.

I don't think anyone who's been on Corn st on a Saturday night when the morons have been on the pop would think any different.

Edit: I should add - the amount that some bouncers get away with is even more scandalous than the violence, and it seems like this could well have been the case here too.

Possessing drugs can not be compared to assault IMO - dealing yes, but not for own use. Prison's are for protecting the public, not protecting someone against themselves.

But the point is they are roll models, and there are nasty people about prepared to hurt other people to get there fix all because there heroes can do it. So hence mugging and Burglary!

Sending people to with drug problems to jail simply doesn't work.All the evidence shows that around 80% of those convicted relapse into to drugs within days of their release and so the cycle of drug fuelled crime continues.

What they need is rehab.Evidence from the USA shows that relapse rates of those sent to rehab instead of prison very significantly reduces relapse rates down to around 23% depending on which research you read.

I absolutely agree with you Robbored, is that allowed on here?

Archived