IGNORED

The Official I Love Steve L......

rednotblue

More respect what he is trying to do.

After reading some of the comments posted over the last few weeks I feel myself shaking with anger such is the stick that our chairman has to take.

Let's imagine that Steve L puts the club up for sale as he has had enough. Many may well think great. Well great in what sense?? Great only if someone comes in who in their view does a better view than Steve L.

What happens if nobody comes in??

No investment into Bristol City Football Club more than likely. Yes it will be better if we stay in League 1 as opposed to get relegated from a selling point, but there would be no redevlopment of any of our facilities, no money spent on players etc etc.

But that is not why I would rather have Steve L at Bristol City Football Club. I genuinely believe that he has the best interests of the club at heart. He backed Tinnion and paid out transfer fees and some considerable wages for players. He has backed Gary Johnson, he fliipin' appointed Johnson, a decent and well respected manager who before he came to us turned down championship clubs.

They sold Cotterill for £2 million quid. Guarenteed that is. What sort of football club would turn down 2 million for a player in our league and below? If there is one I would be very suprised.

By selling him is that showing no ambition?? No its making a sensible financial decision that is for the benefit of Bristol City Football Club. Not just on the pitch but every thing else attahced to it. And do you really think he would have been sold with out consultation with Gary Johnson.

One player does not make a promotion campaign.

To Mr Landsdown please continue your good work.

Excellent post, well timed as well as the fuore (sp) of the DC sale has died down. Chairman make mistakes and ours is no different and even he will admit that I'm sure. But we all learn by our mistakes and I've no doubt we will progress under this regime, when that progression will bear promotion is hard to say however.

......They sold Cotterill for £2 million quid. Guarenteed that is. What sort of football club would turn down 2 million for a player in our league and below? If there is one I would be very suprised.

By selling him is that showing no ambition?? No its making a sensible financial decision that is for the benefit of Bristol City Football Club. Not just on the pitch but every thing else attahced to it. And do you really think he would have been sold with out consultation with Gary Johnson.

Well not 2 million maybe but Bradford City turned down 500K for Dean Windass from.......Wigan....last week

and read here their reasons which seem in direct contrast to the position taken by BCFC management.

---------------------------------------

From SKY SPORTS website:

"Bradford City have revealed that Wigan failed with a beat the transfer deadline bid for Dean Windass.

Latics chief Paul Jewell knows Windass well from their time together at Valley Parade when he signed him from Oxford.

Jewell made a move last year and it has now been confirmed that another bid was made, but Bradford shunned the offer for their 37-year-old forward.

"Wigan contacted me with an offer which I turned down," Bantams chairman Julian Rhodes told The Telegraph & Argus.

The offer is reported to have been worth a potential £500,000 for Bradford - but Windass is seen as too vital to Bradford's promotion prospects. "

-----------------------------------------

Most Third division clubs would have cashed in on an aging 37 year old whoose best days are behind him as I believe Bradford have their own debt problems as well as smaller crowds (=income) than for example Bristol City. BUT clearly they are striving for promotion and don't want to take any decision that might affect that.

Bristol City - on the other hand - have taken a different view.

It will be interesting to see, at the end of the season, who's policy will pay off.

CodeRed

I genuinely believe that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

I agree with that.

We all love our club, and sometimes I think emotions get the better of us.

As someone who has been critical of many of the decisions made over the past 12/24 months, it is difficult sometimes to make opposition known without it becoming too personal - IMO SteveL has only got himself to blame for that, because of the perception many have of the autocratic way in which the club is run.

But at the end of the day, SteveL is a human being, subject to the same feelings as anyone else and entitled to the same respect as anyone else.

A lot of the things said on here are people just expressing their frustration, but, while criticism is acceptable and inevitable, it has to stay within the bounds of decency. Even before your post, I had reflected on this, and had a previous post edited because, while not aimed at SteveL, it could have been construed to be. I think it is very often forgotten that there is another director with the same shareholding as SteveL, I wonder how much influence he has over decisions made and why it's always SteveL who is the spokesman.

So, while I don't agree with many of the decisions made, that's not to say SteveL hasn't done his best, in the interests of the club.

After reading some of the comments posted over the last few weeks I feel myself shaking with anger such is the stick that our chairman has to take.

Let's imagine that Steve L puts the club up for sale as he has had enough. Many may well think great. Well great in what sense?? Great only if someone comes in who in their view does a better view than Steve L.

No investment into Bristol City Football Club more than likely. Yes it will be better if we stay in League 1 as opposed to get relegated from a selling point, but there would be no redevlopment of any of our facilities, no money spent on players etc etc.

But that is not why I would rather have Steve L at Bristol City Football Club. I genuinely believe that he has the best interests of the club at heart. He backed Tinnion and paid out transfer fees and some considerable wages for players. He has backed Gary Johnson, he fliipin' appointed Johnson, a decent and well respected manager who before he came to us turned down championship clubs.

They sold Cotterill for £2 million quid. Guarenteed that is. What sort of football club would turn down 2 million for a player in our league and below? If there is one I would be very suprised.

You talk sense, are you sure that your a City fan?!

Well not 2 million maybe but Bradford City turned down 500K for Dean Windass from.......Wigan....last week

and read here their reasons which seem in direct contrast to the position taken by BCFC management.

From SKY SPORTS website:

"Bradford City have revealed that Wigan failed with a beat the transfer deadline bid for Dean Windass.

Latics chief Paul Jewell knows Windass well from their time together at Valley Parade when he signed him from Oxford.

Jewell made a move last year and it has now been confirmed that another bid was made, but Bradford shunned the offer for their 37-year-old forward.

"Wigan contacted me with an offer which I turned down," Bantams chairman Julian Rhodes told The Telegraph & Argus.

The offer is reported to have been worth a potential £500,000 for Bradford - but Windass is seen as too vital to Bradford's promotion prospects. "

Most Third division clubs would have cashed in on an aging 37 year old whoose best days are behind him as I believe Bradford have their own debt problems as well as smaller crowds (=income) than for example Bristol City. BUT clearly they are striving for promotion and don't want to take any decision that might affect that.

It will be interesting to see, at the end of the season, who's policy will pay off.

CodeRed

good point well made, but you have to consider that Cotterill's form is very inconsistant, whereas Windass always seems to put ina good perfromance every week. I know about the age gap, but 2million is a lot of money, and who's to say that he would have re-signed a new contract with us, and we might have lost him for nothing when his contract runs out, when it's quite possible we'll still be in this damn league.

From SKY SPORTS website:

CodeRed

Entirely missing the point. Two seperate situations.

How could SL really have stopped DC from going to the premiership at his age? This is the fundamental point most of people who are upset about DC going are conveniently ignoring.

Windass was likely happy to stay. So totally different.

From SKY SPORTS website:

CodeRed

Really?

• SC&T Board Members

On balance, I have to agree that he's doing a good job.

With tonight's game at Tranmere just hours away, it also reminds me that a few years ago I went up there for a City away game on a cold, wet winter's evening and was quite taken aback as I walked through the turnstile at the away end to find one Steve Landsdown standing there personally handing out the priority vouchers for a forthcoming fixture. Fair play to him, I thought - and still do.

From SKY SPORTS website:

CodeRed

Well thats' rather pi$$ed on my chips hasn't it!

Well all I could ifnd is that according to the BBC website Windass was disappointed with the decision not to be informed, whatever that means.

However as CodeRed says we will wait and see how the season pans out

Really?

Yes Really

http://www.bradfordcityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/...0.html?ptvParm=

Also Newboy - who stated

"Windass was likely happy to stay. So totally different. "

Bradford Chairman states time of bid etc etc, also says that Windass was disappointed

not to have been told - suggesting that he WOULD have liked another move back to the Premiership (and the wage cheque that goes with it).

I suppose - on a thread titled ...I love Steve...all his supporters will come out & I expect that.

It was just refreshing to see a club's chairman putting the on field matters first.

In fact I do admire (not love!!) Steve L, any board that can sell bricks that don't exist for a stand that wasn't built , whilst increasing admission prices to offset a capacity issue that never happened must be applauded for their bare faced cheek !!!

CodeRed

Yes Really

http://www.bradfordcityfc.premiumtv.co.uk/...0.html?ptvParm=

Also Newboy - who stated

"Windass was likely happy to stay. So totally different. "

Bradford Chairman states time of bid etc etc, also says that Windass was disappointed

not to have been told - suggesting that he WOULD have liked another move back to the Premiership (and the wage cheque that goes with it).

I suppose - on a thread titled ...I love Steve...all his supporters will come out & I expect that.

It was just refreshing to see a club's chairman putting the on field matters first.

In fact I do admire (not love!!) Steve L, any board that can sell bricks that don't exist for a stand that wasn't built , whilst increasing admission prices to offset a capacity issue that never happened must be applauded for their bare faced cheek !!!

CodeRed

If you tried clicking on the 'Really?' (I regret that I didn't make it particularly obvious), you will see that Jewell denies any link with Windass.

Try Clicking Here

Why would Jewell lie about it? I don't really see a reason.

Why would the Bradford Board lie about it? To reflect well on them (coupled with the fact that Bradford don't particularly like Paul Jewell.)

There's also a chance Sky have blown it further out of proportion too, of course. They're journalists after all, it's their job.

EDIT: Just one further point, although I'm fully aware this has already been stated many times before and I don't see the use of getting into the debate again. Dave Cotterill probably more than doubled his price tag against Northampton. £2million for a player who's never previously put in a performance that good for our club is simply too much to turn down. Perhaps we should've signed Nuno Santos on a short term deal after all?

Nice to see that others appreciate SL's contribution.

Re Windass, even if there was a possible deal (which looks doubtful), I don't think two are comparable since:

- the DC deal is reported to be worth a minimum of £2m, whereas the very unreliable reports of the Windass deal say that it was potentially worth up to £500,000 - to reach anything like that amount (if indeed it's true at all) probably requires Windass to score a hattrick in Champions League Final and thus reaching 40 goals for the season;

- DC will have viewed the Wigan deal as potentially his "big chance". For Windass, it's more like a choice between Bradford first team and Wigan reserves (as cover).

But, on balance, it looks as if there wasn't a deal on the table anyway.

Agree with most of the above positive comments.

Managing the expectations and demands of City fans, while committing/loaning a sizeable amount of your money is not something most of us would be prepared to do.

Of course he can't please everyone all the time, but looking at many other clubs around the country (including 1 situated several miles away) we could do a lot worse.

Cheers Steve

Very well said Sir :chant6ez::chant6ez:

why is he lending the club money?

to stem the losses he has been responsible for creating, and currently unable to remedy without recourse to refinancing and share manipulation.

as chairman of a business his performance is poor.

This isn't personal - I'm sure he is a lovely man and a keen BCFC fan, but...

Archived