IGNORED

Greatest And Worse City V Gas Matches

gavlin

just wunderin what your best and worst derby matches and why?

Best - 3 v 2 that christmas match the moment when brown run the whole length of the pitch and crossed for thorpe quality and beadle scored it had everythin that match brill atmosphere

Worst 1 v1 when beadle got a late equaliser gutted about it and what happend after wasn`t brill in front of the nation

best moment phillips penalty save whicb sent them down in injury time brilliant leaving singing your goin down like a russian submarine

so whats your best and worst match and moments

BEST. My 20th birthday, (28 Dec 74) @ Easyville. 1-0 at half time, City won 4-1! All my mates shaking my hand after each goal and saying "Happy Birthday"!

CLOSE. The last derby @ Twerton, 4-2 to City. Odd thing was, 6 different goal scorers.

Glos Cup in the late 60s away. 5-0 to City with all five forwards scoring. For you younger readers, that's players 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Our 2nd year in Div 4 and we were drawn away in round 2 FA Cup. 1-0 down, Ritchie equalised and Martyn Hirst (a part timer) scoring the winner at the end!

WORST. Glos Cup 1972. Decided on pens for the first time and they won at AG. What made it so bad is that their fans celebrated for months afterwards as if they had won the European Cup 17-0.

DISSAPOINTING. Both games in the 75-76 promo season were goal less.

80/81 season with both clubs on route to relegation and a 0-0 draw that was of no use to either team. Des Lyneham then announced to the nation that sums up the state of Bristol football.

Best - 3 v 2 that christmas match the moment when brown run the whole length of the pitch and crossed for thorpe quality and beadle scored it had everythin that match brill atmosphere

You forgot tht the gas scored about 15 seconds into the game when City had the kickoff.

Also Murray playing with all the paper airplanes that were on the pitch (hmmm haven't seen all the red placards since then)

My 2 best games away to Rovers were both when I had the misfortune to be in with the home fans.

2-1 at Eastville in 1983 - nearly got torn limb from limb when the winner went in at the end - Martin Hirst? Saved from the kicking of a lifetime by A&S constabulary! Also the 4-2 victory at Trumpton, with a similar narrow escape from the remedial-donkey-jacketed ones.

Sweet!

0-1 home defeat on New Years Day in about 87 must rank as one of the worst. A large but silent hungover crowd watched quietly as we battered them, only for a 30 yard mis-kick (Gary Smart?) to fluke the win for Rovers at the death.

Ar$e!

Guest Red_ Mango

22A, good choice, definitely mine, I remember it was a very windy day, one goal being Ray Cashley(?) booting it up the field, Keith Fear taking it first time to score. Brilliant!

Lived in Mangotsfield at the time and some stupid gashead tried to punch me and nick my scarf on the bus on the way home...silly sod!

Worst? anytime we lost to the gas.

Guest eviltaxman
Worst 1 v1 when beadle got a late equaliser gutted about it and what happend after wasn`t brill in front of the nation

I remember that match. I was in the Atyeo going mad, (1-0 up) with minutes left on the clock and Beadle popped up and scored. The G@s fans went mental and the subsequent actions of a mindless few ruined the rest of the season. If I remember right, that was the season we had a points deduction & fine hanging over our heads.

My best match was the Wembley stuffing of Bolton in the 80's for the Auto Windscreens Mickey Mouse Cup..... great day out, pity it was ruined by Mansfield the following year!!

Worst match... I agree as above... Bath 3-0

0-1 home defeat on New Years Day in about 87 must rank as one of the worst. A large but silent hungover crowd watched quietly as we battered them, only for a 30 yard mis-kick (Gary Smart?) to fluke the win for Rovers at the death.

Ar$e!

Yep - we toyed with them for 90 mins they we're a bunch of teenagers, including Carter in goal who was nursing a batterted head after a collison in the first half, we were class but didn't score - the crowd was something like 19000 city 500 gas. Couldn't believe it!

The best is difficult but the 3-0 win in the old 3rd after we got promotion from the 4th was sweet.

The 1983 FA Cup game.......................all went in The Old Fox for a friendly pre match dinner time drink !! :D Walked along by the old railway track. We had to stop for a minute to look at the Eastville open end. It was almost totally full of red & white. So many City there that day. On paper City should have got stuffed, we were doing sooooooooooo bad, all the Gasheads were even saying how many goals they would win by. But when Martyn Hirst scored that goal the open end went mad. We took the pi$$ out of the Gas for ages.

The worst was always losing to 8astard's !!

Archived