Humphries --- Carey

Bailey --- McAllister

Shelton --- Brown

Newman --- Russell

Rennie --- Johnson

Smith --- Murray

Taylor --- Jevons

Turner --- Brooker

Gavin played more games than Turner but excluding him gives the side better balance in a 4-4-2

I 've highlighted those that I think are better than their counterparts in the respective teams.

Who remembers these players .... do you agree with my ratings ?

1990 --- 2006

Sinclair --- Basso

Llewelyn --- Orr

Pender --- McCombe

Humphries --- Carey

Bailey --- McAllister

Shelton --- Brown

Newman --- Russell

Rennie --- Johnson

Smith --- Murray

Taylor --- Jevons

Turner --- Brooker

Gavin played more games than Turner but excluding him gives the side better balance in a 4-4-2

I 've highlighted those that I think are better than their counterparts in the respective teams.

You can't exclude Gavin - he was the star of the apart from Bob Taylor.

I'd go with:

Basso (surprising, but less dodgy than Ronnie Sinclair)

Carey

Newman

McCombe

McAllister

Gavin

Shelton

Rennie

Smith

Taylor

Brooker

The typical midfield was the brilliant pairing of Shelton (ball winning agressive goal scoring Gerry Gow type) with the classy but often unsung Rennie who pulled the strings in midfield.

The perfect balance of these two in central midfield allowed Jordan to play Gavin and Smith as out and out wingers, Smith relying on his tremendous pace down the left and Gavin with his trickery down the right.

I am fairly sure that Rob Newman played the vast majority of his games that season in the middle of the back four.

1990 --- 2006

Sinclair --- Basso

Llewelyn --- Orr

Pender --- McCombe

Humphries --- Carey

Bailey --- McAllister

Shelton --- Brown

Newman --- Russell

Rennie --- Johnson

Smith --- Murray

Taylor --- Jevons

Turner --- Brooker

Pender wasn't in the promotion winning side of 89/90. Biff & Psycho were, I seem to recall, our most consistent pairing at CB. If Johnson can have half the career that Rennie had then he'll have done very well. Still a lot to prove, but I hope he will.

How many of today's team would have been good enough for the 1906 team?

Champs of div2 followed by runners up in div 1, no substitutes, same 11 each week. Heavier ball, heavier clothing and longer travelling time to away games. Plus games throughout holiday periods. Port Vale (A) on Good Friday, Liverpool (A) the next day then a home game two days later.

IMO that 1990 side was the best I've ever seen in my 25 or so years watching City, perhaps a few of them were'nt the greatest footballers but what they lacked in skill they made up for in sheer guts and determination.

Joe Jordan was the man that made them tick, his passion as manager of this club is something I don't think I'll see again. It was the sadest day in this clubs history for me when he left for Hearts.

Oh, and 1 last thing I remember the final day of the season well, we had Walsall at home and won 4-0 but the Gas needed to lose for us to win the title, they beat Blackpool 3-0 and it cost just £5 ito sit in the Dolman.

Happy days.

IMO that 1990 side was the best I've ever seen in my 25 or so years watching City, perhaps a few of them were'nt the greatest footballers but what they lacked in skill they made up for in sheer guts and determination.

Joe Jordan was the man that made them tick, his passion as manager of this club is something I don't think I'll see again. It was the sadest day in this clubs history for me when he left for Hearts.

Oh, and 1 last thing I remember the final day of the season well, we had Walsall at home and won 4-0 but the Gas needed to lose for us to win the title, they beat Blackpool 3-0 and it cost just £5 ito sit in the Dolman.

Happy days.

100% spot on in all counts.

However I dispute that the side as a whole lacked skill (though maybe Humphries and Llewellyn did), the midfield four of Gavin, Shelton, Rennie and Smith were a country mile than anything that's played for us since and Bob's 34 goals in a season that was interrupted late on by injury, was the best achievement of any City striker in my 30+ years of watching us.

Bob's 34 goals in a season that was interrupted late on by injury, was the best achievement of any City striker in my 30+ years of watching us.

Bob Taylor was God.

Why Lumsden sold him to a team in the division below us was a mystery to me, despite his injury he still oozed class.

Archived