IGNORED

Keeper Basso 'best In League', Says Phil

Redtucks

Interesting article in last nights Evening Post:

KEEPER BASSO 'BEST IN LEAGUE', SAYS PHIL

Phil Jevons has acclaimed Adriano Basso as one of the best shot-stoppers in League One.The Brazilian goalkeeper ensured Bristol City drew 0-0 with Oldham by producing a marvellous save to deny Chris Porter a late winner.

Jevons believes Basso is an unsung hero in the Robins' promotion bid, having put most of his early- season problems with crosses behind him.

"We all love Adriano," said the striker. "Above all else he is a great goalkeeper.

"Everyone jumped on the bandwagon with the mistakes he made in a couple of games back to back and said he was dodgy and all that. But if you look at it over a 12-game period, he has been fantastic.

"He has pulled off some world-class saves to keep us in games and he is definitely one of the best shot-stoppers at this level. We are all grateful to have him in the team."

Jevons says the former Woking man is even hard to beat in training.

"He is very tough to beat because he has got this desire to save every shot and he works extremely hard. That is why he is doing really well," said the former Yeovil man.

"He is very religious. He prays before each game and he watches his DVDs on the coach and we all respect him for that.

"He never gets on the wrong side of people - he is everyone's friend and he puts his arm round you when he needs to and he is great to have at the club."

Jevons also revealed that the man who arrived at the club last season with limited English is now one of the loudest voices in the dressing room. "He is very inspirational," said the former Everton player. "He is a good talker in the dressing room when we are about to go out. He is very vocal and that's what you need from a goalkeeper."

Throws into question some of the "expert" opinions on this forum, and maybe gives an insight as to why he was preferred to our previous 'keeper?

Throws into question some of the "expert" opinions on this forum, and maybe gives an insight as to why he was preferred to our previous 'keeper?

I mentioned on here recently that Basso is very focussed and a great influence in the dressing room but not many of his critics seemed to see that quality as important.

Imo he's getting better and better.His shot stopping is as good as, if not better than Phillips ever was and his all round game is far better.Sure,he makes the odd error but all goalkeepers do.

When Weale get fit he won't simply walk into the first team.

to be fair, since the early season form he has form has improved a heck of a lot, overall though he does seem alot better keeper than when we signed him, he is a bit a clown at times when he showboats a bit, but I suppose that is just part of his brazilian flair.

think 2 key factors are that he is now speaking better english and he is getting a more settled defence in front of him and he also has Fedrici there as backup, it couldn't have been too much fun in training being the only senior keeper,

however when he does make a mistake as with one slight one on saturday he is sure let to know about it by his team-mates, Carey ripped right into him at one point which I think most of the atyeo could hear!

The rush for Weale's return to fitness isn't as needed as it was a month or so back and on current form he will have a struggle getting into the team.

to be fair, since the early season form he has form has improved a heck of a lot, overall though he does seem alot better keeper than when we signed him, he is a bit a clown at times when he showboats a bit, but I suppose that is just part of his brazilian flair.

think 2 key factors are that he is now speaking better english and he is getting a more settled defence in front of him and he also has Fedrici there as backup, it couldn't have been too much fun in training being the only senior keeper,

however when he does make a mistake as with one slight one on saturday he is sure let to know about it by his team-mates, Carey ripped right into him at one point which I think most of the atyeo could hear!

The rush for Weale's return to fitness isn't as needed as it was a month or so back and on current form he will have a struggle getting into the team.

Don't see much problem with Carey having a pop at Basso. Pallister and Bruce used to slaughter Schmeichel all the time and I bet they would tell you he was the best keeper they ever played with.

I think McCombe's height has meant that he isnt having to deal withj such a large amount of high balls.

Philips could have done with McCombe...

I would still like to see Weale in between the sticks, but that just my own opinion.

fair shout, since the McAllister, McCombe, Carey & Keogh partnership started they have grown better as a unit and Basso is actually having alot less to do, but yeah still dodgy on crosses and I wish he wouldn't punch when it is easier to catch, still he seems to have a good influence on others in the squad.

When Weale get fit he won't simply walk into the first team.

Agree with that and with Basso's age it's a perfect combination of two quality keepers vieing for the same spot.

Weale is quite a bit younger so won't mind fighting for a place and Adriano is coming into the twilight of his career so shouldn't mind either.

I agree with a previous posting; Weale will not just walk into the team. GJ has prior experience of keeper rotation at Yeovil with Weale and Collis keeping each other 'on their toes', so should prove interesting

I am slightly bemused at the distant echoes repeating like an Ashton Gate burger about the Gas keeper......

Mr ISpitMyDummyPhillips. As my good friend Somered always says if he was as good as he, and some City fans thought he was, why is he now playing in Div 4 for the Scum?

Oh 3-1 tomorrow, with every chance that the much maligned and under-appreciated Jevons will score

Archived