IGNORED

Foul Language Chanting At Brentford

alanpayne

Took my 9 year old to his first ever away game at Brentford on Saturday.

Now let me first say I'm no prude and openly admit I come out with the odd swear word from time to time, usually in frustration (like tonight when I saw the Sky Sports highlight of the City game and it clearly showed Heywood handled Scuse shot!).

Now on to my point. While the City fans were generally well behaved at Brentford I did feel embarassed by he use of the "f" word in some of the chanting. My lad (sat in the stand) just looked on in some astonishment. He really enjoyed joining in the chanting of the other songs and loved the new Showmanie chant - he's been singing it all weekend!

Is it just me or do the majority of us want to be part of a club/supporters we can be proud of. The club set a great example on Saturday by Louis and Liam sitting in the back of the stands with the fams.

What do you all feel.

sorry my friend, but everyone knows what to expect when they go to football. i occasionally take my 5 year old boy, knowing full well what songs will be sung.

I'm not saying you shouldnt take children to the game, but you know whats going to be sung, so its totally up to you to choose whether to take them or not.

as for the part about being part of a club we can be proud of, I'm very proud to support city, regardless of whats sung. we are not the only supporters to sing these songs. every club around the country sings them. if anything is sung like against oldham that i don't agree with, then i don't join in with it.

Now let me first say I'm no prude and openly admit I come out with the odd swear word from time to time, usually in frustration (like tonight when I saw the Sky Sports highlight of the City game and it clearly showed Heywood handled Scuse shot!).

Now on to my point. While the City fans were generally well behaved at Brentford I did feel embarassed by he use of the "f" word in some of the chanting. My lad (sat in the stand) just looked on in some astonishment. He really enjoyed joining in the chanting of the other songs and loved the new Showmanie chant - he's been singing it all weekend!

Is it just me or do the majority of us want to be part of a club/supporters we can be proud of. The club set a great example on Saturday by Louis and Liam sitting in the back of the stands with the fams.

What do you all feel.

Football,beer, blokes ,swearing..Don't see the problem? As long as your boy is educated by yourself not to use these words then it shouldnt do him to much harm.

Now on to my point. While the City fans were generally well behaved at Brentford I did feel embarassed by he use of the "f" word in some of the chanting.

You were at a football match!

The one place where you know there will be bad language - sorry but you cant complain.

My Girlfriend is pregnant and were having a boy - and when I come to take him to football, I know he's going to hear bad language. But I'll make sure he understands the difference between swearing at football match (when he is older of course) and swearing in every day life - which is unacceptable.

You were at a football match!

The one place where you know there will be bad language - sorry but you cant complain.

My Girlfriend is pregnant and were having a boy - and when I come to take him to football, I know he's going to hear bad language. But I'll make sure he understands the difference between swearing at football match (when he is older of course) and swearing in every day life - which is unacceptable.

I was a dad resigned to the fact that if i bring my boys to a game they will hear swearing. I made it clear to them that this is the only place where they can use bad language. They will hear far worse in the school playground.

Anyway, swearing helps to get rid of pent up frustration and aggression during the game. Better this being used up verbally rather than physically after the game.

Personally, I love the "smell my fingers" chant, albeit I agree it's not exactly family hearing! :juggle:

"smell my fingers" - it's a respectable ode to being in love with the girl next door. :wub:

As for the useage of the 'F' word in our chants - it's no more than putting the 'F' for Fun back in supporting our beloved club.

Restore the East End terrace

Maybe a respectful one? ;)

That's not the real issue in this debate, at issue is our tradition to let off steam - as supporters - at a FOOTBALL match. We've already had our traditional terracing taken from us by the 'politically, legally and socially correct brigade' they should not be allowed to infringe our liberties further by stopping the chanting.

Up the City

That's not the real issue in this debate, at issue is our tradition to let off steam - as supporters - at a FOOTBALL match. We've already had our traditional terracing taken from us by the 'politically, legally and socially correct brigade' they should not be allowed to infringe our liberties further by stopping the chanting.

Up the City

Sorry Red Goblin l wasn't trying to cause a debate. I do agree with everything you are saying, l was just trying to be funny (which failed).

My opinion is that if you want to take young children to a football game then maybe taking them to an away match isn't the best option.

1. The more passionate amongst us are likely to attend

2. It is very unlikely they are going to allocate ''family'' seated areas.

3.People tend to drink more and make a day of it.

I know its not nice that you can't take your kids to an away game without them hearing swearing etc, but thats life with football l'm afraid.

Its actually a good opportunity to point out to kids that there are contexts where people swear and other places where it isn't acceptable.

Never forget being in the Atyeo with my daughter aged 7 asking me if it was OK to join in with the traditional "You Fat Bastard" chants at the opposition keeper. Bless her, she didn't quite get it and shouted it at Steve Phillips in the second half !

I was, of course, the first one to hit her.

Up the City

I don't really agree with your "republican" views but for once I am totally in agreement. Football the working class game is slowly but surely being ruined by the middle classes.

What do you all feel.

I can see no difference between this and the racist chanting thread from last week. It's BANTER, it's FUN, It's FOOTBALL, IT'S OK!!!!

What do you all feel.

I went when I was a kid, heard the chanting but understood without explanation from my dad that what goes on in a football ground should not be taken outside.

I take my 4yo girl and 3yo boy. Over the coming years I am sure they will learn the same thing and it does not worry me in the slightest. They will hear worse in the playground, and at least at football I am with them to help them understand the context of what goes on.

Do you want to wrap your kids up in cotton wool or show them the big (sometimes ugly but much more fascinating) world out there and equip them with the knowledge and understanding they need to thrive in it? If you want to wrap them up, take them to Disney. Football games should not be sanitized just to become another option than takingthe kids to the cinema.

What makes football different is the edge, the spectacle. Denying that to kids is like denying them a slice of this wonderful life. I want my kids to enjoy it in all its glory.

I don't really agree with your "republican" views but for once I am totally in agreement. Football the working class game is slowly but surely being ruined by the middle classes.

The only song I've ever been upset by at any Bristol City FC game is the royalist 'God Save the Queen' anthem as played at both the Millenium and Wembley stadia. The royalists can stuff their God Queen cult, God Queen anthem, class based and corrupt judiciary, and their corrupt Gestapo Police where the sun don't shine. :sun:

I agree with most of the posters on here. I started taking my 6 year old son to AG a few weeks ago.

You can't stop it, and in my view it's an integral part of the experience - it would be so sanitised if all we did was clap politely.

Hang on... isn't that the williams stand?

Back on topic - I feel that it's part of the growing rites - taking your son to an adult enviroment to enjoy the match and the chanting. And being 6, he knows that it's not right to repeat the songs outside of the ground....

I hope!

He probably hears worse on the school playground.

Alot of the songs that contains swearing has been around for many many years and your son would not be the first 9 year old to have heard all this. It didn't do any of us any harm.

Football is turning more and more PC by the day.

I am curious as to what "alanpayne" (original poster) thinks now he has read all the posts above ?

Any change of view ?

I think he thinks you should wash your filthy mouth out with soapy water. Absolutly disgusting listenning to you and your friends chant about smelly fingers...

What do you all feel.

In word .....RUGBY and Prawn and Sandwich

I generally don't have any problem with swearing and a bit of abuse at football but one thing that I did have a problem with was the abuse of one player in particular. Someone behind me spent the entire game personally abusing Stuart Nelson, his mum, sister, brother and saying he was going to beat him up and burn his house down and I can't repeat the things he was saying about his family.

Some of the things he said were extremely unpleasant and I really didn't think there was any need for them and judging by the look on people's faces around me they felt the same.

In word .....RUGBY and Prawn and Sandwich

Being Bristolian I am a Bristol Rugby supporter and in no way do I want to be associated with any toff/snob royalist judicial ex public schoolboy prawn and sandwich filth that did wrongfully imprison our players.

May Bristol RFC yet again trounce the Bath scummers at Ashton Gate. :w00t:

Being Bristolian I am a Bristol Rugby supporter and in no way do I want to be associated with any toff/snob royalist judicial ex public schoolboy prawn and sandwich filth that did wrongfully imprison our players.

May Bristol RFC yet again trounce the Bath scummers at Ashton Gate. :w00t:

Come on Gobby, not like you to leave off your trade mark calling card, ''God Save Us......''

Come on Gobby, not like you to leave off your trade mark calling card, ''God Save Us......''

Very well young Sir, I'm delighted to oblige :chant6ez: .....

Shout it from the terracing, shout it from the seats, shout it from the rooftops for all the corrupt Royalist Gestapo Police and their hopelessly corrupt toff/snob puppet masters in the Crown Prosecution Service to hear :D .........

God Save Us From the Royalist Tyranny !!!!!!!!!!!

Archived