IGNORED

Match Prices At The Gate

Nogbad the Bad

I think the comparisons between Rugby and Football is wrong.

Rugby has been a professional sport for years not decades, and money is slowly, ever so slowly creeping into the game.

I go to Bristol as much as I can, and I am sure in 10 years time, watching rugby will be a completley different experience to what it is now.

Sad as it may be - December 27th is what we are heading for. An all seater stadium, no beer, no standing, £30 a ticket - and its on Sky Sports.

When you think about premier football - I'm in the same boat. I watch Charlton a lot as I live just round the corner, sometimes for £10 a ticket - but it just doesnt feel right for me. If you really do support a team - you just don't get the same buzz watching a "football match" compared to watching your local team. I politely clap a goal watching Charlton rather than losing it for those magic 5 seconds after a City goal.

So whenever I'm back home or City are playing near London - I am one of those that is more than happy to shell out £15 - £20.

You have also got to remember that clubs like BCFC can charge more, as it is the "Premier" club of Bristol. Villa and Charlton come from Citys where teams can poach supporters - so prices have to be equal.

But back to the buzz - maybe my local team is more important for me now I'm surrounded by Arsenal, Charlton and Chelsea fans and I live away from Bristol - I'm proud of where I come from, I'm very vocal about who I support and I'm proud to support Bristol City. At least I have a connection other than - "I support Liverpool cause I liked John Barnes..."

If your not a huge supporter of City, then I see your point - and I do appreciate that City could be seen as overpriced. But we do have a 21,000 seater stadium, with bars, club shops - all this does cost money - more money than the facilities at Brentford and Yeovil I should imagine...

Shame you support Bath by the way - Top of the league and having a laugh...

If your not a huge supporter of City, then I see your point - and I do appreciate that City could be seen as overpriced. But we do have a 21,000 seater stadium, with bars, club shops - all this does cost money - more money than the facilities at Brentford and Yeovil I should imagine...

Shame you support Bath by the way - Top of the league and having a laugh...

Surely the bars and shop pay for themselves though. And despite having a bigger ground which would most likely cost more to maintain, we do get significantly higher gates which should mitigate some of this extra cost.

Surely the bars and shop pay for themselves though. And despite having a bigger ground which would most likely cost more to maintain, we do get significantly higher gates which should mitigate some of this extra cost.

Your right, I do agree with you and I'm not saying its right.

But you go out drinking in town, you have choices - Wetherspoons, Yates', the Queens Shilling...

At football - if your a City supporter - you have only two - go to the game or not.

So City have a product that you can get from one place - Ashton Gate. And because its only available here - they can charge more. Especially if we are second in the league.

Your right, I do agree with you and I'm not saying its right.

But you go out drinking in town, you have choices - Wetherspoons, Yates', the Queens Shilling...

At football - if your a City supporter - you have only two - go to the game or not.

So City have a product that you can get from one place - Ashton Gate. And because its only available here - they can charge more. Especially if we are second in the league.

I also agree with your point, and I feel you point about a sort of price war in London football does help keep teh prices down. However in Bristol there doesn't appear to be this sort of price competition, and if anything it is who can increase the prices the most. I am sure if Bristol City dropped the POTD prices to for example £5 across teh board a) We will quickly get the average attendance up and b) Rovers will follow suit and vice versa. I heard something interesting off of a person at uni who supports Forest. He said the prices are high at both Notts clubs, and Forest even know justify this due to their European past, and County justify it due to the fact that Forest are charging a lot so why shouldn't they.

I also agree with your point, and I feel you point about a sort of price war in London football does help keep teh prices down. However in Bristol there doesn't appear to be this sort of price competition, and if anything it is who can increase the prices the most. I am sure if Bristol City dropped the POTD prices to for example £5 across teh board a) We will quickly get the average attendance up and b) Rovers will follow suit and vice versa. I heard something interesting off of a person at uni who supports Forest. He said the prices are high at both Notts clubs, and Forest even know justify this due to their European past, and County justify it due to the fact that Forest are charging a lot so why shouldn't they.

Thats interesting stuff...

I think what we have to bear in mind is that both Bristol clubs rarely play at home at the same time.

This means that Bristol City's main competitor could be seen as Bristol Rugby, which brings with it a great atmosphere, cheap prices, Premier league standard and no trouble - all for the near future.

With this in mind, you have to wonder what this might do to our fans of the future.

POTD price rises have always struck me as being a bit strange - if they lowered these, I'm sure this would capture the "spur of the moment" supporters.

I think what we have to bear in mind is that both Bristol clubs rarely play at home at the same time.

This means that Bristol City's main competitor could be seen as Bristol Rugby, which brings with it a great atmosphere, cheap prices, Premier league standard and no trouble - all for the near future.

With this in mind, you have to wonder what this might do to our fans of the future.

Well I reckon in the future, unless something changes quickly there will be less young fans. I, like many people went along with the family to my first games when I was younger, and obviously they paid. Now if a parent wants to take two children along to Ashton Gate (special promotions excepted), the cost is over £30 and if both parents go it is £50. This is a days wages for many people, and this is at a time when many household bills are going up, as well as mortgage costs etc for many people, especially those near the bottom of the property ladder (and therfore the people most likely to have young children).

Also this price must be taken into account for other leisure activities, a family could go to the cinema probably three times for the same price as oen football match, or a coupel of decent computer games could be purchased. Also for the same price or less a family could go to the hippodrome and watch Peter Pan, the Beauty and the Beast and Alice in wonderland (performed by the English National Ballet). I refer to an earlier post where I pointed out that football used to be the working man's pasttime, but now it appears it is more expensive to watch than the ballet (and I expect there is a better atmosphere at teh ballet/pantomines).

No, Pewsham is not right screech.

As cardy pointed out, Pewsham pays £24 per league match to watch Bath Rugby, with a season ticket.

Perhaps you could explain how watching Bristol City is more expensive?

Where the hell do you get THAT figure? £260 divided by 14 games = £18odd. And I was acused of exaggerating!!!

I think that 19 quid for City V Crewe was expensive. I think 15/16 quid is fair. I know there are advance tickets available, but I think that most pay on the day supporters want to pay at 14:30 and just watch the game.

Saying that, I'm happy with the price of my season ticket and the fact that my 3 yr old got in for nothing as she was able to sit on my lap the whole game.

12/13 pounds is what it costs me to watch 'em and for me that is value. It would be an interesting comparison to make with other clubs how much pay on the day supporters have to pay above season ticket holders? I haven't got the time to do this, but it would be worth doing.

Also, have we got 8 thousand season ticket holders? If that is the case, 4 thousand 'ish turned up saturday and did pay the 19 poinds; apart from the kids/families in the East end.

1/3 of the crowd paying on the day is fairly good I think?

I do not consider myself less of a fan, just because I do not have a season ticket. I live miles from AG, and also work a shift pattern that involves weekend work. This makes a ST not a practical option.

However I have watched City the length and breadth of the country over the last 25 years, and do not appreciate the club taking the piss by charging extortionate pay-on-the-gate prices!

Just try to be a bit more equitable Mr Lansdown. How about lowering prices across the board and actively ENCOURAGING people to attend. Surely a greater crowd paying less per head is preferable.

Oh yeah, open the East End!

Where the hell do you get THAT figure? £260 divided by 14 games = £18odd. And I was acused of exaggerating!!!

I get those figures from Cardy's post above.

He says that for your £260 season ticket at Bath Rugby you are entitled to watch just 11 League games. This works out at £23.60 per game.

If you add in extra games ( you seem to think, by mentioning 14 games above, that there are 3 of these) that your season ticket also entitles you to watch, then the figure reduces to £18.60 per game.

But for League games, which is what i stated above, you pay £23.60 per game.

Also, you apparently have one of the cheapest season tickets. Cardy states they can cost as much as £350 at Bath, that working out at £31.80 per League game or £25 if you watch the extras as well.

To say City's prices are much more expensive then is simply wrong, or hadn't you worked out the figures?

If you still dispute them, i suggest you take up the matter with Cardy.

Interesting also that Lordofthebling states the Rugby match at AG in December will be £30 per ticket. Got your ticket for that one then? :dunno: :razz:

I do not consider myself less of a fan, just because I do not have a season ticket. I live miles from AG, and also work a shift pattern that involves weekend work. This makes a ST not a practical option.

However I have watched City the length and breadth of the country over the last 25 years, and do not appreciate the club taking the piss by charging extortionate pay-on-the-gate prices!

Just try to be a bit more equitable Mr Lansdown. How about lowering prices across the board and actively ENCOURAGING people to attend. Surely a greater crowd paying less per head is preferable.

Oh yeah, open the East End!

I share your sentiments RAL but this is the average price in this division. Infact some conference sides charge £18 for entry. Its all to do with vat and inflation etc. Clubs can afford to do the odd "Fans for the future" or "Quid a kid" but not on a regular basis. Sounds stupid really as those seats are empty but I guess the season ticket sales cover the overall costs of the club.

I share your sentiments RAL but this is the average price in this division. Infact some conference sides charge £18 for entry. Its all to do with vat and inflation etc. Clubs can afford to do the odd "Fans for the future" or "Quid a kid" but not on a regular basis. Sounds stupid really as those seats are empty but I guess the season ticket sales cover the overall costs of the club.

I meant they should trial something radical, like lowering prices/advertising more. They are so conservative in their thinking (small `c`).

POTD price rises have always struck me as being a bit strange - if they lowered these, I'm sure this would capture the "spur of the moment" supporters.

As i've stated throughout this thread, i agree something should be done about pay on the day prices at City.

I'll have to take your word for it that Bristol Rugby has "cheap prices", because i've no idea. Bath certainly haven't.

Humour me Bling, what is the Adult price to watch Bristol? :dunno:

Bath Rugby season tickets cost from £210 standing to £425 seating. Pewsham's is the second lowest seating price available, and it's uncovered.

For that you get 11 Prem games, 3 European cup pool games, and 1 Anglo-Welsh cup fixture.

For £275 he could have got a season ticket in the Atyeo, covered, and watched 23 league games.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever which one constitutes better value for money.

One point I do agree on is that rugby clubs do treat fans better than football clubs who treat everyone as a thug until proved otherwise. Their price structure also scales better for students, juvenile delinquents and OAPs.

It cost me £17 yesterday. With This £17 I got to watch 80 mins of top flight sport.

I was able to get into the bar WITHOUT being a member of the club or supporters group.

The food was good.

The half time entertainment was good.

The pre-match build up was good.

Most importantly, I was on terracing.

It cost me £17 yesterday. With This £17 I got to watch 80 mins of top flight sport.

I was able to get into the bar WITHOUT being a member of the club or supporters group.

The food was good.

The half time entertainment was good.

The pre-match build up was good.

Most importantly, I was on terracing.

Shame it was rugby. Drive on Berry!

It doesn't matter if it was football or Rugby. I belive we could learn alot from Bristol RFC.

Forgive my cynicism, but I was brought up in Gloucester, listening to Neanderthal "Shed" dwellers referring to real football players as poofs, rugby`s a man`s game blah, blah.

I would love to see Kingsholm again one day....from the bomb bay of a B52.

One of the problems with that, as you can see by the number of people highlighting the value of season tickets, is reducing the difference between matchday prices and season ticket prices will reduce the number of season tickets sold. I knew last season that I would miss most Tuesday and Friday night games but still knew that the season ticket would be the best value for money.

Can you imagine how bad the crowds (and income) would have been through the middle of last season if the number of season tickets was lower and matchday tickets cost less?

As i've stated throughout this thread, i agree something should be done about pay on the day prices at City.

I'll have to take your word for it that Bristol Rugby has "cheap prices", because i've no idea. Bath certainly haven't.

Humour me Bling, what is the Adult price to watch Bristol? :dunno:

Adult price is about the £15 - £17 mark with POTD.

POTD porices are only usually £2 or £3 more than the early bird prices as well...

Plus, Bristol always make discounts for students, seniors and children.

One of the problems with that, as you can see by the number of people highlighting the value of season tickets, is reducing the difference between matchday prices and season ticket prices will reduce the number of season tickets sold. I knew last season that I would miss most Tuesday and Friday night games but still knew that the season ticket would be the best value for money.

Can you imagine how bad the crowds (and income) would have been through the middle of last season if the number of season tickets was lower and matchday tickets cost less?

Maybe so, but does the differential need to be quite as pronounced?

Adult price is about the £15 - £17 mark with POTD.

POTD porices are only usually £2 or £3 more than the early bird prices as well...

Plus, Bristol always make discounts for students, seniors and children.

Matchday prices of £20 according to this.

My parents didn't renew their Bristol season tickets this year because the price had nearly doubled.

I get those figures from Cardy's post above.

He says that for your £260 season ticket at Bath Rugby you are entitled to watch just 11 League games. This works out at £23.60 per game.

If you add in extra games ( you seem to think, by mentioning 14 games above, that there are 3 of these) that your season ticket also entitles you to watch, then the figure reduces to £18.60 per game.

But for League games, which is what i stated above, you pay £23.60 per game.

Also, you apparently have one of the cheapest season tickets. Cardy states they can cost as much as £350 at Bath, that working out at £31.80 per League game or £25 if you watch the extras as well.

To say City's prices are much more expensive then is simply wrong, or hadn't you worked out the figures?

If you still dispute them, i suggest you take up the matter with Cardy.

Interesting also that Lordofthebling states the Rugby match at AG in December will be £30 per ticket. Got your ticket for that one then? :dunno: :razz:

Your Season Ticket at Bath covers 11 League Games + 3 European Games and a Domestic Cup match . That makes 15 games - making that £17odd per game. I misled you earlier - apologies. Fans know what European games and what Domsetic Cup game they guaranteed when they buy their Season Ticket - it's an all inclusive price with no extras. Only if a Club should progress beyond the group stages in Europe (or the Domestic Cup scene), would a fan would have to shell out more money to watch the those home game(s)

The game at Ashton Gate in December? No I haven't got a ticket for that yet - but if it's £30, it's £30. Bristol are the Home Team here, not Bath.

Didn't this whole debate start around the "are we being ripped off" query? I'm not entirely sure that 3rd Division football and Premiership Rugby are easily comparable in terms of value for money. I'm pretty sure though that most/every Club rips you off to some extent.

The game at Ashton Gate in December? No I haven't got a ticket for that yet - but if it's £30, it's £30. Bristol are the Home Team here, not Bath.

Didn't this whole debate start around the "are we being ripped off" query? I'm not entirely sure that 3rd Division football and Premiership Rugby are easily comparable in terms of value for money.

Never mind who the "home" Rugby team is, the cost is £30 per ticket, and by saying you have'nt got one "yet" you seem to be saying you haven't ruled out paying it.

Third division football is definitely comparable to Premiership Rugby, ( look at the crowds at AG) what you don't seem to be bringing into the equation is how passionate a supporter you are and whether you really care who wins.

I could go and watch Villa or Bath Rugby but it would never be value for money because i'd have no burning interest in the result.

How, as a "Bristol City fan" you can willingly choose give your money to Aston Villa when your own club needs that £19 so much more is beyond me anyway.

Just a footnote:

Sky news did a feature on dwindling crowds at Leeds United yesterday.

Apparently the cheapest seat at Elland Road is £26 behind the goals.

On the sides it's a minimum £36 rising to £46 :o

Still desperate to get into the Championship everyone, let alone the Premiership. :dunno:

Enjoy it while you can, we'll be looking back at current AG prices as being dirt cheap in a few years. :angry:

Never mind who the "home" Rugby team is, the cost is £30 per ticket, and by saying you have'nt got one "yet" you seem to be saying you haven't ruled out paying it.

Third division football is definitely comparable to Premiership Rugby, ( look at the crowds at AG) what you don't seem to be bringing into the equation is how passionate a supporter you are and whether you really care who wins.

I could go and watch Villa or Bath Rugby but it would never be value for money because i'd have no burning interest in the result.

How, as a "Bristol City fan" you can willingly choose give your money to Aston Villa when your own club needs that £19 so much more is beyond me anyway.

Another footnote. There is a thread on the Bristol Rugby forum criticising the £30 charge for this game - wondering why it should be played at Ashton Gate at all? Evidently fans at The Mem aren't used to paying such scandalous prices either.

and it's how much at Leeds? another bloody scandal. Every team rips you off to some extent, but forty odd quid is ludicrous.

Just a footnote:

Sky news did a feature on dwindling crowds at Leeds United yesterday.

Apparently the cheapest seat at Elland Road is £26 behind the goals.

On the sides it's a minimum £36 rising to £46 :o

Still desperate to get into the Championship everyone, let alone the Premiership. :dunno:

Enjoy it while you can, we'll be looking back at current AG prices as being dirt cheap in a few years. :angry:

You don't have to pay it, just go somewhere else like your local non league football side, £2.50 a pint and a couple of quid thrown in a bucket to help maintain the club house.

I'm not going to pay top buck just so to maintain our already wealthy players standard of living anymore, no one helps me out and I'm a bloody good printer too.

Stop paying it and the clubs will get the message, If you knew me then you would know I'd be one of the last fans to call time on going to Ashton gate, I've been to more games home and away than I care to remember, but I am appalled at the price of matches at Ashton gate, and know when to get off.

Archived