IGNORED

Match Prices At The Gate

Nogbad the Bad

I had reason to refer to a couple of old City ticket stubs for another thread earlier today.

Chelsea, F.A,Cup, 27/1/90, Enclosure, price £4

Charlton F.A,Cup, 19/2/94, Enclosure, price £9

Two things immediately occur to me: one, seats had been put in the Enclosure between the 2 matches and two, the price had more than doubled in 4 years.

It's possible, even likely, that the club upped normal prices slightly for these Cup games.

Even so, one of these games was sixteen years ago and the other twelve. By my reckoning, with my ST i only pay around £5 or so more per game than i was apparently paying well over 12 years ago. :)

I realise pay on the day is significantly more, but even so are we exaggerating the high cost of watching City these days?:dunno: Twenty thousand plus were willing to pay £9 almost 13 years ago.

If, as in those two examples, prices had more doubled every four years since, a seat in the Enclosure would now cost £72+. :laugh:

Seems to me the price of watching football 'went up' a very long time ago - when the seats went in by the looks of it - and has mostly gone up with inflation since.

Yes, it's 3rd grade football, and the argument may well be skewed by comparing Cup matches, but on those figures my £13-14 per match in 2006 looks a bit of a bargain, and other prices just maybe aren't quite so comparatively outrageous as people often claim.

Keep your hair on, just a thought. ;):city:

Even so, one of these games was sixteen years ago and the other twelve. By my reckoning, with my ST i only pay around £5 or so more per game than i was apparently paying well over 12 years ago. :)

I realise pay on the day is significantly more, but even so are we exaggerating the high cost of watching City these days? :dunno: Twenty thousand plus were willing to pay £9 almost 13 years ago.

If, as in those two examples, prices had more doubled every four years since, a seat in the Enclosure would now cost £72+. :laugh:

Seems to me the price of watching football 'went up' a very long time ago - when the seats went in by the looks of it - and has mostly gone up with inflation since.

An interesting view although there was a reason for that jump (the introduction of seats) and inflationay rises from the £9 quoted would only mean prices of c.£12 nowadays so I would suggest that actually, yes - the prices have risen well above RPI levels and this is probably in line with the rise in player wages over the same period.

I'm only a very occasional visitor to Ashton Gate these days - and I'm not attending today either. I am going to Villa Park to watch the Villa v Tottenham game - yes I'll be giving Paul Robinson some stick too! Ticket price? £19.00 (and Premiership Football is overpriced)? I think £19 compares very favourably with the cost of climbing the steps of The Dolman Stand these days, and yes, I think Football at City is overpriced - especially when you look at that direct comparison.

I guess this leads to a different question. Would I attend Ashton Gate more if ticket prices were lower? I don't think I would to be honest. It's the quality of the product, and stadium facilities that count as much as the price.

For my sins, I'm a Season Ticket holder at Bath Rugby these days. It cost £260, and it pays for all League Games, European Group Cup matches and a Domestic Cup match. I get preferential treatment when it comes to purchasing other tickets, and automatically get entered into two draws. If I introduce a friend (as a Season Ticket holder), I get entered into a draw to win the price of my Season Ticket back. I'm also automatically entered into a draw for international Rugby tickets at Twickenham! I have a comfortable seat, a good view, can have a beer or two whilst watching the game. It's a non smoking ground, and as for the Police presence? What Police presence? It's a City Centre ground - so if you want to go straight out for a few beers round Central Bath after the game it's not a problem. The Club actually treats it's fans with respect too. All in all - it's not a bad package is it.

So you don't mind what teams you are watching so long as you're comfortable and the match is being played at the top level of whatever soprt you're watching? Weird :blink:

And say all you like about your Bath ticket, can't change the fact that it's rugby :whistle:

Err, no. You misundertand me - or may be it was the way I put it. I chose the higher levels of Sport (Aston Villa and Bath Rugby) in order to do a direct price/value comparison. I could equally bore you to death with tales of admission price/value at Chippenham Town, Bath City and Somerset Cricket. I would guess you watch other Sports/Teams too. My argument is over value for money - and City could learn a good deal from other Clubs and other Sports. Are you all happy with the Platinum Club? I'm a Sports fan - is that so weird? I never claimed to be a regular City fan at any point in recent seasons (though I had the joy of going to 47 different grounds as a City fan when I was younger)

Say what you like about Rugby, but you can't change it's value. I wouldn't knock anyone for following any sport.

I'm only a very occasional visitor to Ashton Gate these days - and I'm not attending today either. I am going to Villa Park to watch the Villa v Tottenham game - yes I'll be giving Paul Robinson some stick too! Ticket price? £19.00 (and Premiership Football is overpriced)? I think £19 compares very favourably with the cost of climbing the steps of The Dolman Stand these days, and yes, I think Football at City is overpriced - especially when you look at that direct comparison.

I guess this leads to a different question. Would I attend Ashton Gate more if ticket prices were lower? I don't think I would to be honest. It's the quality of the product, and stadium facilities that count as much as the price.

For my sins, I'm a Season Ticket holder at Bath Rugby these days. It cost £260, and it pays for all League Games, European Group Cup matches and a Domestic Cup match. I get preferential treatment when it comes to purchasing other tickets, and automatically get entered into two draws. If I introduce a friend (as a Season Ticket holder), I get entered into a draw to win the price of my Season Ticket back. I'm also automatically entered into a draw for international Rugby tickets at Twickenham! I have a comfortable seat, a good view, can have a beer or two whilst watching the game. It's a non smoking ground, and as for the Police presence? What Police presence? It's a City Centre ground - so if you want to go straight out for a few beers round Central Bath after the game it's not a problem. The Club actually treats it's fans with respect too. All in all - it's not a bad package is it.

Fair enough. Thats your opinion. But I think you are manipulating figures anyway. I've been to Villa a couple of times and it cost me much more than £19 - you must have a crap seat for that price (North Stand Upper or Family Enclosure). Secondly I've also been to Bath and sat in the best seat in the house and the view was still crap compared to the Dolman. £260 is no where near the top price ticket either (approx £350) so again you are exagerating. Also a Bath seaon ticket entitles you to what 14 or 15 home games (11 league) in total so even at £260 you are paying approx £18 a game or £24 a league game. Hmmmm not quite as good value as you make out.

I don't know why I'm even writing this because clearly you are happy doing what you do - supporting the Villa and Bath, so why are you on this forum anyway ??

Everything goes up.Its called inflation.Even beer prices have gone up - a pint used to cost 12p in 1971 - whatever next...... :grr:

Except that inflation (broadly) at RPI runs at 2.5% over a long period of time (although much lower in fairly recent times. A 2.5%pa rise on £9 in 1974? £9 x (1.025)^12 = £12ish....

As I said above, it has risen far faster than inflation along with player wages.

I've also been to Bath and sat in the best seat in the house and the view was still crap compared to the Dolman. £260 is no where near the top price ticket either (approx £350) so again you are exagerating. Also a Bath seaon ticket entitles you to what 14 or 15 home games (11 league) in total so even at £260 you are paying approx £18 a game or £24 a league game. Hmmmm not quite as good value as you make out.

I don't know why I'm even writing this because clearly you are happy doing what you do - supporting the Villa and Bath, so why are you on this forum anyway ??

I'm glad you did bother to reply. If your figures are correct you make a very valid point that helps to keep things in perspective.

Except that inflation (broadly) at RPI runs at 2.5% over a long period of time (although much lower in fairly recent times. A 2.5%pa rise on £9 in 1974? £9 x (1.025)^12 = £12ish....

As I said above, it has risen far faster than inflation along with player wages.

As i said, I pay £13-£14 adult price per match. Not a huge leap from the £12-ish you say would account for inflation. Season ticket value still seems good to me.

The problem undoubtedly comes from the pay on the day price. A few weeks ago my wife decided at the last minute she wanted to come to the Chesterfield match. At the booth ( which had no queue) we were flabbergated to be asked for £22 for her seat.

I can't see any excuse for such a high price and such a mark up from my season ticket price. We paid it but it left a sour taste as it was £4 or £5 more than we were expecting.

The club should definitely reduce pay on the day, even if only for a block of matches to guage reaction. I don't think most season ticket holders would object.

As for my own value for money at AG, i'm happy with it. Prices have gone up everywhere and it's not so bad when you consider you can pay £10 plus to watch non-league football these days, and despite the moans facilities at AG are far superior.

Didn't actually recall saying I supported Villa - Two visits this Millenium hardly qualify me as a Supporter. I've watched City a good deal more than that - and no... I didn't go the the Millenium Stadium (or the Play Offs) as I don't qualify myself as a regular City fan either these days

Why am I on the forum? Well I guess if we all agreed and disagreed over the same things, life would be very boring

I'm glad you did bother to reply. If your figures are correct you make a very valid point that helps to keep things in perspective.

The fact remains that a ticket in the North Stand cost me £19 today - some games cost £15. Is it a bad place to view a game? The view is unimpeded - but above the "away fans" - if that's a bad thing. I've had worse views! The only thing I will say is that the seating would be cramped for anyone who has long legs, but when you are only 5'8" it doesn't matter much. Nevertheless, Premiership Football - particularly at that price is a seductive option!

My quote of £260 at Bath also came in for criticism. My seat is in the main stand (Kronenbourg Stand) between the "22" and the Half Way Line. Basically that means Premier League Rugby at a club sometimes called the "Liverpool of the Rugby World" for a season at £260. It's a non smoking ground, where you can have a pint where/when you feel like it, no chavs sizing you you up, no over zealous Police etc etc.

I don't expect too much support (if any) on this forum, and you can be assured that it'll be my last contribution for a while. It is however worth looking outside the confines of Ashton Gate occasionally, to see how other Clubs treat their fans - you may be pleasantly surprised!

Incidentally, the 5 lads behind me today were all from Taunton. None of them were exactly complaining about a seat in the North Stand. Perversely enough they all used to follow City regularly. Perhaps City should be asking themselves a question... what have they done to lose fans who are perfectly prepared to pass Ashton Gate and travel to Birmingham to watch their Football. Funnily enough we all had a similar story - and no one can accuse people who go to Villa Park of glory hunting - particularly when O'Leary was in charge!

The fact remains that a ticket in the North Stand cost me £19 today - some games cost £15. Is it a bad place to view a game? The view is unimpeded - but above the "away fans" - if that's a bad thing. I've had worse views! The only thing I will say is that the seating would be cramped for anyone who has long legs, but when you are only 5'8" it doesn't matter much.

My quote of £260 at Bath also came in for criticism. My seat is in the main stand (Kronenbourg Stand) between the "22" and the Half Way Line. Basically that means Premier League Rugby at a club sometimes called the "Liverpool of the Rugby World" for a season at £260. It's a non smoking ground, where you can have a pint where/when you feel like it, no chavs sizing you you up, no over zealous Police etc etc.

I don't expect too much support (if any) on this forum, and you can be assured that it'll be my last contribution for a while. It is however worth looking outside the confines of Ashton Gate occasionally, to see how other Clubs treat their fans - you may be pleasantly surprised!

You seem like a decent chap but it makes me mad when people like yourself come on here and slag the club / team / 'quality of product' off. If you had bothered to go to Ashton Gate today I can guarantee you would have seen a better game than you did up the Villa and without all the hassle and expense of travelling. I obviously don't know when you last attended AG but I think if you could make the time one saturday afternoon you too may be pleasantly surprised. Oh well, I guess we may see you one day if we ever get to the Premier League.

You seem like a decent chap but it makes me mad when people like yourself come on here and slag the club / team / 'quality of product' off. If you had bothered to go to Ashton Gate today I can guarantee you would have seen a better game than you did up the Villa and without all the hassle and expense of travelling. I obviously don't know when you last attended AG but I think if you could make the time one saturday afternoon you too may be pleasantly surprised. Oh well, I guess we may see you one day if we ever get to the Premier League.

I'm breaking my word from a previous posting here. Apologies.

Firstly I haven't slagged the team - I'm in no position to do so. Apart from the Northampton game on Sky I haven't seen them this season. The debate centered around is Bristol City ripping you off? Yes. Every Club does to a greater or lesser extent. I intend to visit Ashton Gate on Tuesday 5th December - home to Carlisle. You still appear to be under the misapprehension that I visit Villa Park regularly though. I repeat - two visits this Millenium hardly qualifies me as a Supporter. My visits to Ashton Gate are far more frequent! They'd have a job to be less! There were 5 lads behind me yesterday - from Taunton (apparently they all used to follow City). I can't speak for why they make that trip. The fella next to me - from Dunfermline. He told me he was fed up with watching the same old teams week in, week out. As they play each other 4 times a season in Scotland I had sympathy with his argument.

Lastly, I'm not sure you can guarantee that the game at City was better than at Villa Park, as you couldn't possibly attend both. JP Angel mising a penalty and scoring an own goal within a minute was comedy of the highest order. Good strike from Gareth Barry though wasn't it!

He didn't slag the team, he is saying Bristol City is a very expensive hobby compared to other sporting functions he attends, and he is right.

If you continue to bow down and accept what is thrown your way then prices will continue to rise, until the crowds are so low that you will only see the 150 Premier club members and the board in the ground on matchday, because they will be the only ones who can afford it.

Season tickets are not for everyone, this is something the club just don't understand, they are turning people away from the ground every week with their high pay on the day prices.

I think the current prices are a fair reflection. Bearing in mind the club is in debt and the high costs associated with running a football club. Add that this is comparable with other League One Clubs admission proces.

I am moving back from Spain for good this week and will have no problem forking out up to £21 to sit in the Atyeo for every home game. Although that said I hope to get a half season ticket come the new year :)

He didn't slag the team, he is saying Bristol City is a very expensive hobby compared to other sporting functions he attends, and he is right.

No, Pewsham is not right screech.

As cardy pointed out, Pewsham pays £24 per league match to watch Bath Rugby, with a season ticket.

Perhaps you could explain how watching Bristol City is more expensive?

Fair enough. Thats your opinion. But I think you are manipulating figures anyway. I've been to Villa a couple of times and it cost me much more than £19 - you must have a crap seat for that price (North Stand Upper or Family Enclosure). Secondly I've also been to Bath and sat in the best seat in the house and the view was still crap compared to the Dolman. £260 is no where near the top price ticket either (approx £350) so again you are exagerating. Also a Bath seaon ticket entitles you to what 14 or 15 home games (11 league) in total so even at £260 you are paying approx £18 a game or £24 a league game. Hmmmm not quite as good value as you make out.

Even if it is £19 for teh worst view in the ground that is the same price as a ticket in the cheapest stand at Ashton Gate for teh poorer games eg category C matches.

Nearer 12000 than 11000.

Those partime fans missed a superb game today - shame....

You seem to almost be looking down on the people who didn't go which you often do, but then I forgot you are the greatest City fan of all time. The price of a ticket at £5 is about four hours wages (eg half a days work) for someone on the minimum wage, and if there are additional family members who wish to come along it could easily stretch to a days work. Not forgetting this is the so called working man's game.

The cost of pints was also mentioned, and I bet at most times in the past a match ticket didn't cost more than ten pints (plus of course extra fees eg credit cards etc).

Archived