IGNORED

Portsmouth Fans

Dave L

I watched the Portsmouth Arsenal game on TV earlier tonight. Portsmouth were five nil down, getting played off the park and about to be knocked out of the FA Cup. Their supporters had every reason to be fed up. If they stopped thinking about being knocked out of the cup for a few moments, they might have dwelt on their league position ... just outside the relegation zone. So how did they respond? Massed chants of 'Redknapp Out'? Streams of abuse directed at thir underperforming players? Howls of hatred at their board?

No. They chanted, sang and got behind their team non stop for the whole of a deeply embarrassing second half for Pompey. It was one of the most impressive displays of 'support' I've ever seen.

The last three results have been deeply disappointing for us.

I don't have a problem with people expressing reservations about team selection or the performance of individual players. That's what this forum is all about. But lets have a reality check here.

We're 2nd in the League. QPR (dodgy defence, can't win away) and Plymouth (just lost their manager) are stuttering too. There are still 11 games left, and there will be many twists and turns before the season's end.

I am deeply deeply hacked off about today's result. IF we don't go up, I'll be at the head of the queue demanding changes.

But until the end of the season I will be fully behind the team .. the same team that won 11 straight games and is having what I sincerely hope is just a blip in form.

If we get behind the team and show them that we support them, just like the Portsmouth fans did, then together we can still do it. If we give in to this sudden wave of negativity at this stage of the season, then what's the point?

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd get automatic promotion. Nothing that's happened so far has made me change my mind. Not through the dark days of October, not through this recent run of poor results.

We will win this league, if only we believe.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!

Yeah, its exactly the same way at West Brom. They are 100% behind the team and no matter what the score is, they still sing and get behind the team. Many a game i went to last season they were losing (especially against Liverpool) but it was still chanting and singing how Megson is the best manager.

I watched the Portsmouth Arsenal game on TV earlier tonight. Portsmouth were five nil down, getting played off the park and about to be knocked out of the FA Cup. Their supporters had every reason to be fed up. If they stopped thinking about being knocked out of the cup for a few moments, they might have dwelt on their league position ... just outside the relegation zone. So how did they  respond? Massed chants of 'Redknapp Out'? Streams of abuse directed at thir underperforming players? Howls of hatred at their board?

No. They chanted, sang and got behind their team non stop for the whole of a deeply embarrassing second half for Pompey. It was one of the most impressive displays of 'support' I've ever seen.

The last three results have been deeply disappointing for us.

I don't have a problem with people expressing reservations about team selection or the performance of individual players. That's what this forum is all about. But lets have a reality check here.

We're 2nd in the League. QPR (dodgy defence, can't win away) and Plymouth (just lost their manager) are stuttering too. There are still 11 games left, and there will be many twists and turns before the season's end.

I am deeply deeply hacked off about today's result. IF we don't go up, I'll be at the head of the queue demanding changes.

But until the end of the season I will be fully behind the team .. the same team that won 11 straight games and is having what I sincerely hope is just a blip in form.

If we get behind the team and show them that we support them, just like the Portsmouth fans did, then together we can still do it. If we give in to this sudden wave of negativity at this stage of the season, then what's the point?

At the beginning of the season I thought we'd get automatic promotion. Nothing that's happened so far has made me change my mind. Not through the dark days of October, not through this recent run of poor results.

We will win this league, if only we believe.

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!

As I posted on a similar thread earlier.

Arsenal were untouchable today, the Pompey fans could see that ANY side (Manure maybe the exception) would have been on a hiding today.

To compare Pompey getting stuffed by Arsenal and City losing at Stockport is a little strange. I would imagine Pompey fans are pleased with what Redknapp has done down there, I wish I could say the same about DW.

By that I dont mean Premiership football, just to get out of this cesspit of a division would be enough for me (initially).

My opinion is we are no nearer acheiving it than when DW was appointed, although I truly hope I am wrong on that one.

For christ sake OpenEnd post something with a little sense, what more do you want, at the end of the day we're second!

Yes we lost today but WE'RE SECOND.

Come back and complain at the end of the season if we stay down but for ###### sake let's get behind the lads and win this poxy league.

For christ sake OpenEnd post something with a little sense, what more do you want, at the end of the day we're second!

Yes we lost today but WE'RE SECOND.

Come back and complain at the end of the season if we stay down but for ###### sake let's get behind the lads and win this poxy league.

Complaining?????? You have lost me :D

Another one who mis-interprets critical opinion for moaning.

Yes you are right we are second but 3 games ago we were top!!

I am concerned that after our last three PERFORMANCES (and results obviously) we are on the slide. If you haven't envisaged that scenario, then maybe you should, it might make it a little less painful IF it happens.

In general most performances have been poor this season, including the 11 games. That's what's making me even more anxious. I cannot handle playoff heartbreak again.

The Pompey fans were fantastic, and even when Arsenal made the subsitutions at the end they said on the commentary that everyone in one of the stands appluaded Henry and Ljunberg and Viera (I think) when they come off.

The majority of that stand were Portsmouth supporters.

They never turned on their players, and never once tried chanting #### like Redknapp out. In fact, when they were 5-0 down they were still singing "Harry & Jim" (Redknapp & Smith).

Fantastic performance from Arsenal (never liked them) but also a fantastic performance from the Portsmouth supporters. :clap:

They also had a bit extra to cheer about when Sheringham scored at the end :clap:

But why would Portmouth fans have turned on their players/management yesterday?

I see no shame in losing 5-1 to the best team in the land.

Hypothetical question if Pompey had lost v someone ####? would they have been quite so supportive? perhaps not.

The pompey fans recognised that Arsenal were/are different class, thats why they applauded the Arsenal players.

A better example of true supporters ... think back to anfield 1994. Liverpool fans that night were fantastic, after all we were rank underdogs and we turned them over. They had more reason to be ###### off that night than Portsmouth yesterday.

I could here the Pompey fans from my house, absolutely brilliant they were.

Easy to see why they're labelled the most passionate fans in the country. You would NEVER get an atmosphere like that at Ashton Gate even if we were BEATING Arsenal 5-1.

The way the whole stadium sings in unison is brilliant, something else you'd never get at the Gate.

I've run out of superlatives, hope they stay in the top flight though!

The Pompey fans had two options - either boo and hiss at their own team or accept that they were playing the best Premiership side of all time and therefore let their players know that it was no disgrace to be losing so heavily.

They chose the later and well done to them... they even applauded Thierry Henry when he was susbstituted.The Pompey fans showed other fans how to behave and they deserve all the credit.

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass

Against Rovers the atmosphere was brilliant at the gate, but i've never heard the ground sing all together since. Which is why we have the East End, we can start chants off and others can join in in the other stands! On Friday we have to up the Noise in the East End as last Tuesday it wasn't as loud as usually! A twenty min version of Red Army maybe?

the problem is bar us lot in the eastend none of the the other stands want to sing.now all the singers are in one stand we havent got a hope of getin the others to join in.wilson moans about the ground bein to quiet[the cheek of it!!],why doesnt he get the williams goin with abit of conducting from the front?!?!?!?!?!he does sod all else in that dugout so why not!!!

Guest H Block Drum n' Bass

He just stands there leaning against the side. I've only ever seen Frank Barlow shout from the sidelines or show any passion! I've never looked at him when we score but does he go crazy like me or just clunch his fists like Wenger?

neither usually,just leans against the side of the dugout abit more!!!!though he might occassionally uncross his arms if its a really good goal or last minit winner! he wants the fans to sing &show passion,why doesnt he try doin the same,he doesnt have to do a martin o neil high jump,the odd smile would do me!!!

Archived