IGNORED

City A "big"club ?

headhunter

I had a business reason to be in Milan this weekend and saw Milan vs. Sampdoria - claas game as you would expect.

On the plane I was thinking about how important promotion is this season and worked out that if we fail then next season will mean we have spent just 7 in the last 25 in what is now division 1 - that really isn't good enough to let us claim to be big club.

I passed on my thoughts to a mate who reminded me said 18 years ago we beat Bolton and they are now an established [just about] Prem club, Coventry have been in Div 1 or higher for 40 + years, likewise Norwich City - all are clubs that we should be on a par with at the very least - SO WHERE ARE WE GOING WRONG !!!!!!!

We also discussed who our Gang of 3 might be if a trip to La Manga were organised and went wrong !!!

I had a business reason to be in Milan this weekend and saw Milan vs. Sampdoria - claas game as you would expect.

On the plane I was thinking about how important promotion is this season and worked out that if we fail then next season will mean we have spent just 7 in the last 25 in what is now division 1 - that really isn't good enough to let us claim to be big club.

I passed on my thoughts to a mate who reminded me said 18 years ago we beat Bolton and they are now an established [just about] Prem club, Coventry have been in Div 1 or higher for 40 + years, likewise Norwich City - all are clubs that we should be on a par with at the very least - SO WHERE ARE WE GOING WRONG !!!!!!!

We also discussed who our Gang of 3 might be if a trip to La Manga were organised and went wrong !!!

We should be a big club and, in fact, BCFC started its league career in the 1900's as a big club. Since 1911 we've failed to realise anything like our true potential.

Effort has recently been made in bringing an ex-Premiership manager to the Gate (Danny Wilson) and after almost 5 f##king seasons and loads of dosh spent compared to our rivals we still look like f##king up promotion :clap:

I'll be there against the 'mighty' Rushden & Diamonds hoping and cheering for a win but I'm still concerned at Wilson and Co's ability to get us up from this poxy division.

Up the City

city are POTENTIALLY a big club.

bristol is the biggest city without a premiership team, and we get gates bigger than many div1 teams. we also have so many 'floating' fans, who have been driven away by years of failure. so although we are not currently a big club, we could so easily be.

Are City a big cub?  In the West Country,yeah.Nationally, not at all.
Yes, City are known to quite a few other teams, and amazement is always shown that we aint a Div 1 side, and that Briz aint got at least a Div 1 side. Almost everywhere I've been the City shirt is recognised, and the Gas too, come to think of it.

Premier side, No, large Nationwide side, yes. We took more supportewrs to LDv finals than Bolton, 50-50 with Sjoke, and 40,000 out 55-60 000 at Baadiff. Yeah, I'd say we are known, but also known for bottling the big occasion mostly, but we do have our moments. (Liverpool & Chelsea spring to mind)

Guest WillsbridgeRed

W're not a big club, although we like to think so.

People mention teams like Bolton ect, but they're no bigger than us. Yes they play in the Prem but outside of Bolton no one cares about them, probably because there's so many teams up that way.

We have to great examples of how to push City. 1. Southampton. 2. Hull

Southampton because of the way they've managed to rejuvinate themselves as one of the top 10 teams in the country, a state of the art stadium (in centre of town) that makes the town proud of them. What do we do to make Bristolians proud? We don't have a selling point. The only difference between us and Rovers is the division we play in.

2. Hull are about to go up a few leagues, wait and see - They're the biggest club outside the First div. Look at their ticket prices. The club have a scheme that sells tickets at unemployed rates. Could anyone that's unemployed affored to go to City?

Ok these ideas wont make us a massive club but are examples of how crowds, esteem and coverage can be increased.

I think if we go up our attendences would rise to 16,000-17,000 a week at least. Expecially with the away following boosting this as well. Quire a few big games will get sold out.

If we were to get to the premiership i strongly belive that we could get 30,000 there week in week out. In the prem it will be like those cup matches that everyone comes along to.

I think these days the only way to get your club up and established in Div 1 is to either have a hell of a lot of patience and just wait untill you have built the team that is good enough for Div 1.

Or the horrible risky way of buying players in and hoping they do well.

With Wilson in charge and his lack of good signings with the amount of money he has had, i think the patience way is best for us, with him in charge.

But how do you measure what a big club is and isn't? Is it how well they are known? Is it how many replica shirts they sell? Or is it how many fans you could get if you were in the top flight.

I think its the latter, look at any club and their majority of income comes from ticket sales. If you can sell lots of tickets, you get lots of money, if you got lots of money you can strengthen your squad. If you can continue strengthening your squad then thats when the giant will wake up.

by the admittedly basic unscientific methods of replica shirts, and the pretty varied areas of our forum addresses, I'd say we were a Div 1 club. by our gates 9-14,000 ish, we are also a Div 1 club. And we have a huge number of potential fans, those who have seen all the promise fade time and time again

We dont however, unlike Bolton, have a heritage of football, nor is Bristol seen as a cool place a la Scumchester etc. The selling point is a valid arguement. Bristol council, (no offence to all who live in her) is seen as a problem too, left wing with some (all!) the standard predudices, dislikes, and atitudes. Big clubs will not thrive in these environments, let alone smaller ones.

If what they say that Briz has the best sunday League set up, how come the council dont encourage the game, and therefore the two professional teams there, plus the two or three local big non league sides.

your papers aint that good either. Our local rag the Bucks Herald, is always backing the current broke joke that is Aylesbury United, and always always back the club. It also condemnds all the negative stuff, accurately, and honestly. A salutary reminder to the Briz papers, maybe?

We aint a prem club as I said earleir, but we should be a Div 1 club.

How we aint is a diffeerent topic, but we aint as small as ya think.

Probably the biggest source of negative comment in respect of City that I know of is this forum.

If we can't back our own team then why expect the local paper to do it.

Well, of course it is. It's a forum to discuss Bristol City, so I imagine it would be the biggest source of negative comment in respect of City that you know. Where else are you comparing it with? The message boards on forums unrelated to Bristol City? Hardly a surprise to find less discussion of whether Lee Peacock should be dropped on those, I wouldn't have thought.

Equally, I could say this is the biggest source of positive comment in respect of City that I know of, if I pick and choose the threads I want to use to bolster my argument.

It is a forum to discuss Bristol City. The good, the bad and the indifferent. If you are seriously suggesting that people making negative comment or questioning decisions made at the club, don't, in the vast majority of cases, back the team, then you are totally misinterpreting the basis of what a forum like this is about.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

This forum is over critical, like it or not. But then I think that sums up City fans in general, especially those after the age of 30.

The BIGGEST source of negative feeling is the Dolman, it's a well known fact!

Well, of course it is. It's a forum to discuss Bristol City, so I imagine it would be the biggest source of negative comment in respect of City that you know. Where else are you comparing it with? The message boards on forums unrelated to Bristol City? Hardly a surprise to find less discussion of whether Lee Peacock should be dropped on those, I wouldn't have thought.

Equally, I could say this is the biggest source of positive comment in respect of City that I know of, if I pick and choose the threads I want to use to bolster my argument.

It is a forum to discuss Bristol City. The good, the bad and the indifferent. If you are seriously suggesting that people making negative comment or questioning decisions made at the club, don't, in the vast majority of cases, back the team, then you are totally misinterpreting the basis of what a forum like this is about.

I'm merely expressing an opinion, you may or not agree with it but after all isn't that what a forum is about?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"I'm merely expressing an opinion, you may or not agree with it but after all isn't that what a forum is about"

I think it's what you would call being a hypocrite eh fella? :clap:

I'm merely expressing an opinion, you may or not agree with it but after all isn't that what a forum is about?
Ohhhh, so you see the fans as fair game when you're throwing negative comments around, it's just the ones aimed at the players and manager you object to, I see.

Danny would be proud of you.

You really are a ****** aren't you

Thank you for your valuable input to the debate, as ever. Much appreciated.

Another one happy to slag off a fellow fan and not see it as a negative and divisive thing to do. Anyone else?

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"Thank you for your valuable input to the debate, as ever. Much appreciated."

Well I suppose I like to keep to the point, rather than go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on until any opposing force has been bored into submission.

But as we're on input into the debate, isn't this thread about City being a big club or not? Too me you've just used it as an excuse to wade into Tompo with more of your supreme arrogance

"Another one happy to slag off a fellow fan and not see it as a negative and divisive thing to do. Anyone else?"

Hmm well for someone that takes the sides of all City fans you seem terribly absent from the part time debates?

And as for "slagging off" City's fans been negative yes it is. But with you it's hugely satisfying

to get this thread back on track, i feel we are a big club again, regionally, but not nationally...

But what is a big club?! Define that for me?

I live in Charlton - wouldnt class that as a big club...

I would say a big club is one where that City or Town is has a football team that has the majority of the support, or has a big following nationally. - E.G: Newcastle, Liverpool etc...

Big clubs to me are the ones you find in JJB sports all over the country, whereas every team is big regionally...

Thats my view - back to you Tompo, Willsbridge and Edson.. :clap:

Well I suppose I like to keep to the point, rather than go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on until any opposing force has been bored into submission.

Do you? That's nice, that you are so sure of your own debating tactics and so dismissive of others. Some might even call it arrogant.

But as we're on input into the debate, isn't this thread about City being a big club or not?  Too me you've just used it as an excuse to wade into Tompo with more of your supreme arrogance

Sorry? Point out where I've been arrogant, I must have missed it. I'm expressing an opinion, in response to tompo's point, on how I don't see a distinction between fans being negative towards staff at the club, and fans being negative towards their fellow fans, in terms of it's detrimental impact.

Perhaps you'd be so good as to explain how that is arrogant.

Anyway, you're right, that is what the thread is about. Remind me how your last three posts have added to that discussion. Or are you the only one allowed to branch off? Bit arrogant, that.

Hmm well for someone that takes the sides of all City fans you seem terribly absent from the part time debates?

Sorry, I haven't a clue what you're talking about here.

And as for "slagging off" City's fans been negative yes it is.  But with you it's hugely satisfying

Is it? How constructive. I could have sworn you said it was boring but either way, I hope you leave this sort of negativity at home when you go to games. Honestly, this forum, it's full of it, isn't it.

Archived