IGNORED

I Am Getting Sick And Tired

Super Scotty Murray

I know I often look at City players with rose tinted specs but I am getting extremely close to turning round and tirading a hurl of abuse at some of the people in the crowd who spend the whole game moaning at our players.

Its one thing to give 'constructive criticism' but its another to hear things like 'Murray you're a tw*t' at least five times a game - this is not going to help anyone.

Ignore my name - I do not think Murray is playing well this season but anyone who thinks he is not giving 100% for this club just doenst have a clue, and to call him a tw*t is just an absolute joke.

There is one particular person that gets on my nerves who used to spend a good 10 minutes a game telling everyone around him about how rubbish Dave Cotterill was - good one mate - funny that one of the best managers in the premiership thought he was worth 2 million!!

I have no problem with people voicing frustration, but personal abuse towards players is going too far - Scott Murray is not a tw*t, he is a city legend who happens to be getting on a bit and not playing as well as he did.

The main issue I have is how certain fans pick out individual players for their abuse, it is such an unintelligent thing to do. All they do is ignore everything good they ever do, and put it down to luck if they score, and moan every time they give the ball away, or not apparantly be giving full commitment to a tackle.

If you watched any player for a whole game and picked him up on every error then you would have cause to moan, i just find it funny that people decide after about 30 seconds of seeing someone play if they like them or not and if not, then god help that player.

Ridiculous.

The main issue I have is how certain fans pick out individual players for their abuse, it is such an unintelligent thing to do. All they do is ignore everything good they ever do, and put it down to luck if they score, and moan every time they give the ball away, or not apparantly be giving full commitment to a tackle.

If you watched any player for a whole game and picked him up on every error then you would have cause to moan, i just find it funny that people decide after about 30 seconds of seeing someone play if they like them or not and if not then god help that player.

Ridiculous.

Traditionally after a frustrating week of working 'at mill' fans would go and let off steam at the match on Saturday afternoon.Thats pretty much what happens now.You pay yer money as they say....

Its always been the same.If its not the players or manager then its the referee that gets the stick.

Football also means a great deal to some.The passion they feel for their club runs very deep and is often life long.If when they feel players aren't giving 100% or are playing below par then they let them know - quite rightly imo.Its a sense of injustice.

We have all slagged off players if we would only admit it.I got so frustrated with Carey a few season ago when all he ever did was hoof long balls up the pitch that I almost went down to the hordings so I could yell at him.On Saturday I moaned everytime Jevons gave the ball away and McCallister swung in crosses from too deep.

Anyone who says they've never slagged off a player must be a saint.

I'm not trying to say that no-one should be frustrated with players and have the odd moan here and there, its the constant personal abuse towards indviudual players i cant comprehend.

yes, last season there were a lot of players not putting 100% in but you could not say that about anyone this season, ok players like jevons and jennison's let their heads drop when they are having a bad game but that doesn't make them 'tw*ts' or '*****rs' like they get called constantly.

christ people even slagged leroy off all the time when he scored about 25 goals for us!

i just wish people would be a little less vocal about it all the time. its like they want to justify it to the 500 people around them so that when that player misses an open goal they can say 'i told you so' and brag about it to their mates for the rest of the week.

I think there is a world of difference between a fan calling a player useless and just moaning about a bad pass or two. One is really personal, stupid and ignorant - the other is the sort of criticism I think that Robbered is getting at and is pretty much OK. I could hear a bloke about 2 or 3 rows behind me saying that Murray was useless (and a lot worse). How I would have loved him to tuck away that chance in the second half just to spite that sh*te behind!

Mind you he should have bloody scored :w00t:

I find the level of abuse-almost non existent and the level of moaning justifiable, at times.

Paying customers can criticise all they like and our performance level was poor, overall, particularly from the four front players who, if they were all giving 100%, aren't good enough to play at this level OR were having a real off day.

I don't know how long you've been going but 10-15 years ago the crowd would have destroyed players on the basis of those performances.

AG is much more sanitised and I'd love to take GJ & SL back to the time when the place really buzzed with an atmosphere that can only be described as hostile-I'm not saying that was right, I'd just like to show them the difference between then and now.

I find the level of abuse-almost non existent and the level of moaning justifiable, at times.

Paying customers can criticise all they like and our performance level was poor, overall, particularly from the four front players who, if they were all giving 100%, aren't good enough to play at this level OR were having a real off day.

I don't know how long you've been going but 10-15 years ago the crowd would have destroyed players on the basis of those performances.

AG is much more sanitised and I'd love to take GJ & SL back to the time when the place really buzzed with an atmosphere that can only be described as hostile-I'm not saying that was right, I'd just like to show them the difference between then and now.

I don't remember our players being booed by our own fans 40 years ago, 30 years ago or even when we were bottom of the fourth division.

I know I'm getting old, but I don't think my memory is that bad!

I don't remember our players being booed by our own fans 40 years ago, 30 years ago or even when we were bottom of the fourth division.

I thought the same but the stick some fans gave Tinman was pretty bad - I guess it's an easy thing to forget. Shame we can't forget Steve Jones :doh:

Guest MaloneFM

There isn't one player who hasn't been shouted at. Even the great Louis Carey has had some. They are paid a lot more than you...probably not me...and it comes with the territory.

Which is why they goes a bit nuts when they score.

Guest North Street

Gary Emmanuel anybody!

I agree that some so called supporters just seem to go to moan and personally I find it irritating.

People need to remember a few things...

1. We are watching football in the 3rd tier of the English system. Therefore there are many better players elsewhere.

2. The players I think generally give their best and I don't believe they deliberately put in a bad cross or lose the ball. They just aren't premiership players.

3. We all make mistakes every day that are stupid or daft. Fortunately they aren't always seen by 12,000 people! And we normally get the opportunity to rectify things before anyone realises.

People just need to remember what we are watching and accept that whilst it is frustrating to see mistakes it is part and parcel of League 1 football.

I had that complete muppet Stoney Garnet behind me in the premier seating as was a few years back. All he could do was call Tinnion (a not very nice word - the worst swear word you could think of) all the way through the match, every match. He was wearing a Bristol City match official badge, and in my opinion is supposed to be a representative of the club!! I did complain to one of the stewards and the community manager at the time......and thank christ the muppet got banned, but not for long enough!!!

Best way to get rid is complain. May make you look like a grass, but these are not fans and are not welcome at our club. x

I remember beating Norwich 4-0 about 30 years ago and the side getting a right stuffing when a few moves went wrong and you've got Parkinsons, never mind a bad memory, if you can't remember City getting booed off at AG over the last 25/35 years :disapointed2se:

Christ, I can remember City getting "booed on" by the 2/3,000 fans at AG (Yes that's right, the crowd was that small) during our notorious slide. :D

My recollection is of a far more vociferous crowd.

Even our only true legend, John Atyeo copped it from the stands, plus the two wingers feeding him from out wide. Big John was an instinct striker, anywhere from 40 yards in, if he had the impulse, he would let rip. Sheer volume of shots got him his better than a goal every 2 games average.

Some of those impulse shots went high into the stand, and he got the treatment. Hinshelwood down the right wing had a pigeon toed gait to his run, and if a cross did not work out he got the treatment. Boxley on the left, also had an unusual style, and he was referred to as a "pie can ".

Suffice to say, those three players worked a lot of goals for City, copped it on the jaw when given, but soldiered on for far less pay than our current day darlings.

I can remember Geoff Merrick getting a lot of stick when he was played out of position after Norman Hunter arrived at AG. Considering the contribution he made to getting City into D1 I felt this was completely unjustified. Criticism of this type is invariably based on pig ignorance.

I had that complete muppet Stoney Garnet behind me in the premier seating as was a few years back. All he could do was call Tinnion (a not very nice word - the worst swear word you could think of) all the way through the match, every match. He was wearing a Bristol City match official badge, and in my opinion is supposed to be a representative of the club!! I did complain to one of the stewards and the community manager at the time......and thank christ the muppet got banned, but not for long enough!!!

Best way to get rid is complain. May make you look like a grass, but these are not fans and are not welcome at our club. x

He got banned for carrying Alchohol (Hip Flask) into the ground, not because of you, I'm glad to say. :cool: He was never an employee of the club as far as I know although, he did entertain in some of the sponsors lounges if the required it........or perhaps if they didn't :D

If he's not a fan, it's funny how many games I've seen him at, home & away, over many years and who are you to say who can and can't come?

Not welcome? :blink:

Whether his stuff is your cup of tea or mine or his opinions valid, is not the point,he has the same right as all of us to express them and this "shut up, sit down and do what your told culture" isn't the way to treat paying customers.

Many have highlighted this sanitised lack of choice in their matchday experience, as a reason for not attending-These people are Ex Season Ticket Holders of 10-30 years standing and they now travel to away games as opposed to funding City by attending AG!!

Best stick to the family enclosure or Fans for The Future. :disapointed2se:

There have been times over the years when we've needed to throw people in, not throw them out and ban them..........now for example.

It's a funny thing that since people have been banned and the atmosphere has been sanitised to the liking of the "complainers", all those people who stopped coming.......well, er, seem to have stayed away as our crowds haven't budged.

Some of the crap excuses I have heard lately from "City Fans"........

"I used to go but stopped because of the violence".......I'm the first to admit there's been problems over the years, but it's very rare at AG these days and if it does happen, can be easily avoided.It's highly unusual inside the ground.

One bloke said, "I used to go, but then when I moved away, I stopped going".........he moved from Clevedon to.......Yate :blink:

I can remember Geoff Merrick getting a lot of stick when he was played out of position after Norman Hunter arrived at AG. Considering the contribution he made to getting City into D1 I felt this was completely unjustified. Criticism of this type is invariably based on pig ignorance.

It was also based on Merrick being a very average left back as he was moved there when we signed Norman Hunter because he couldn't hack the Ist Division as a centre back :(

Excellent 2nd Division Centre Back, Captain & Leader and his partnership with Collier was as good as anything else at AG, if not far better.

In fairness, footballers like anyone else, are not guaranteed a smooth ride based on past performance....look at Beckham

Even our only true legend, John Atyeo copped it from the stands, plus the two wingers feeding him from out wide. Big John was an instinct striker, anywhere from 40 yards in, if he had the impulse, he would let rip. Sheer volume of shots got him his better than a goal every 2 games average.

Some of those impulse shots went high into the stand, and he got the treatment. Hinshelwood down the right wing had a pigeon toed gait to his run, and if a cross did not work out he got the treatment. Boxley on the left, also had an unusual style, and he was referred to as a "pie can ".

Suffice to say, those three players worked a lot of goals for City, copped it on the jaw when given, but soldiered on for far less pay than our current day darlings.

The players, Manager & The Board need to embrace constructive criticism far more, as opposed to resent and ban it.

Downright abuse-No

But any criticism if met with dummy spitting & sulking of the highest nature

I agree that some so called supporters just seem to go to moan and personally I find it irritating.

People need to remember a few things...

The club also need to remember how lucky they are to have 12,000 people still turning up at AG after nine seasons in this disvision

1. We are watching football in the 3rd tier of the English system. Therefore there are many better players elsewhere.

That's very true, but we aren't playing against those better players, we're playing against teams without an Academy, far lower wage bills, transfer budgets and far,far worse facilities.Some of whom have cruised past us into the second tier

2. The players I think generally give their best and I don't believe they deliberately put in a bad cross or lose the ball. They just aren't premiership players.

I don't think one needs to be a Premiership player to carry out the basics like trapping, shooting and short range passing.As I have said, they aren't playing against Premiership players either.

3. We all make mistakes every day that are stupid or daft. Fortunately they aren't always seen by 12,000 people! And we normally get the opportunity to rectify things before anyone realises.

We don't all earn salaries ranging from £1,000-5,000pw BECAUSE people watch us do it, both live and on TV.We don't all work in closed shops that get a lot of their money a season in advance and, if you go to the theatre and Pavorotti hits loads of bum notes and doesn't come out after the inermission you get your money back :D

People just need to remember what we are watching and accept that whilst it is frustrating to see mistakes it is part and parcel of League 1 football.

As long as the players appreciate the fans I'm sure we will and they get almost zero stick based on previous years

How I would have loved him to tuck away that chance in the second half just to spite that sh*te behind!

Mind you he should have bloody scored :w00t:

See, that bloke told you he was useless :D

I'm afraid the bloke who said he'd not heard criticism at the gate in the last 30 yrs can't have gone very often.

The cries of "dicks out" towards the end of his tenure were from all parts of the ground.

I also remember Gerry Sweeney kopping loads of abuse,his name was sung sarcastically most games towards the end of his career.

Don't necessarily agree with it or thinks it helps but it happens.

Also agree the atmosphere at the gate in those years was fantastic-but unlikely to ever be experienced again.

Gerry Gow, an all-time hero of most of us who watched him, was quoted as saying he had received constant stick throughout his City career "from 8 blokes in the Enclosure".

It's hard to remember a single City player who didn't ever fall foul of the AG crowd since the late 60's. Norman Hunter maybe? :dunno:

Even goal scoring legend Bob Taylor got some stick when his form dropped after his golden season.

It certainly hasn't got worse, if anything fans are far more patient and forgiving these days.

It was also based on Merrick being a very average left back as he was moved there when we signed Norman Hunter because he couldn't hack the Ist Division as a centre back :(

Excellent 2nd Division Centre Back, Captain & Leader and his partnership with Collier was as good as anything else at AG, if not far better.

]

Dicks signed Hunter because City were struggling and desperately needed a talisman and experienced leader.

It wasn't because 'Sir Geoffrey' couldn't hack it at centre back in the top league that he was moved, it was because Norman could only play in his position.

Have you forgotten City turned down a big bid from Arsenal for Merrick and Ritchie as we were on the run-in to promotion?

They obviously thought Merrick was more than good enough and it is a testament to Merrick's loyalty that he not only didn't force the issue on the transfer, but made way for Hunter without rocking the boat.

It certainly hasn't got worse, if anything fans are far more patient and forgiving these days.

I suspect it's more apathy than tolerance, as evidenced by the lack of reaction when we do well.

Having said that, it seems much better the last month or so than any time in the last couple of years...

Guest North Street

The same muppet who presented Tinnion with a match ball signed by fans on the pitch at Notts County or the same who would inform anybody that in person Tinnion was a thorougly decent bloke,the same muppet who would gladly give his time free of charge to BCFC,the same muppet who has been a regular down the Gate for forty years, the same muppet who will go out of his way to shake your hand, the same muppet who was only to glad to introduce me to a former City legend to talk about the East End petition ............ if only City had another ten thousand muppets like him!

The same muppet who presented Tinnion with a match ball signed by fans on the pitch at Notts County or the same who would inform anybody that in person Tinnion was a thorougly decent bloke,the same muppet who would gladly give his time free of charge to BCFC,the same muppet who has been a regular down the Gate for forty years, the same muppet who will go out of his way to shake your hand, the same muppet who was only to glad to introduce me to a former City legend to talk about the East End petition ............ if only City had another ten thousand muppets like him!

Hear Hear North Street mate, nice post, absolutely spot on!

It is just my opinion at the moment that the squad we have got at the moment gives 100% in every match and is working so much harder than it has for years yet still there are some people, not that many, but some, who constantly shout abuse towards individual players.

I totally understand that they have a right to have an opinion but i just think they are wrong to pick on individual players when the team is working so well together at the moment.

There is a difference between criticising someone, and shouting abuse. I regard calling someone a #### constantly throughout the game as abuse, and not at all constructive criticism.

Bristol Boy, i think you make very good points on this issue, but you are slightly misinterpreting what i am getting at.

I don't have a problem if someone is frustrated after a player misses a sitter etc. but more the personal problem a minority of fans have against certain players which i am sick and tired of having to listen to every game.

This is to the point of me considering moving my seat for my season ticket, so i regard it as being quite important, and more than someone merely giving 'constructive criticism'.

However, i expect if i do move, i will end up sat next to another few who just have different players they want to abuse every game instead so i wonder if there is any point?

Dicks signed Hunter because City were struggling and desperately needed a talisman and experienced leader.

We were struggling because Cheese got injured AND we were conceeding goals

It wasn't because 'Sir Geoffrey' couldn't hack it at centre back in the top league that he was moved, it was because Norman could only play in his position.

Hang so, why sign Hunter if Merrick was so great there? Why didn'y anybody else in Div 1 sign him when we were relegated? Why not move Collier instead?

Have you forgotten City turned down a big bid from Arsenal for Merrick and Ritchie as we were on the run-in to promotion?

No, but that was before we were promoted and Sir Geoffrey started to struggle.He wasn't the biggest for a centre back and that's why we signed Hunter to fill that position.I suppose today we could have played with three centre backs, but back then it was pretty much unheard of :)

They obviously thought Merrick was more than good enough and it is a testament to Merrick's loyalty that he not only didn't force the issue on the transfer, but made way for Hunter without rocking the boat.

Great club man, that's for sure :D

Traditionally after a frustrating week of working 'at mill' fans would go and let off steam at the match on Saturday afternoon.Thats pretty much what happens now.You pay yer money as they say....

Its always been the same.If its not the players or manager then its the referee that gets the stick.

Football also means a great deal to some.The passion they feel for their club runs very deep and is often life long.If when they feel players aren't giving 100% or are playing below par then they let them know - quite rightly imo.Its a sense of injustice.

We have all slagged off players if we would only admit it.I got so frustrated with Carey a few season ago when all he ever did was hoof long balls up the pitch that I almost went down to the hordings so I could yell at him.On Saturday I moaned everytime Jevons gave the ball away and McCallister swung in crosses from too deep.

Anyone who says they've never slagged off a player must be a saint.

God, I actually agree with Robbored.......I'm going for a lie down! :w00t:

Archived