IGNORED

Mike Newell Opening His Trap Again (Merged Topics)

WesM

Got to agree with him there, saw a few of the decisions that the woman gave and quite frankly it was horrendous. You sometimes get the odd bad call but I can only assume that she was there because she was a woman.

Its a mans game.

Grow up. If she's crap say she's crap, but to suggest its that she's female is juvenile and stupid. We don't need any chauvinist dumbass spouting off. Feel free to judge her on her skill as a referee but don't judge her on her sex.

They had some issues when they put in female referees in the NBA about 10 years ago) but they have been resolved as players and the public got used to it. Most people don't even notice anymore.

Guest MaccaJK

he has now apologised but why? i don't think he did anything wrong. women should stay out of the mens game. if you're going to let them run the line why don't you let them play? they have their own game don't they? we gave them a womens game so why do they still get to ref in ours?

discuss.

Guest MaccaJK

Can't see the problem myself as long as they're competent at the job. Are you saying that you don't agree with men officiating in women's games?

yeah. i think we should keep it seperate. the only problem would be how many female refs are there? so we have to give them some of our blokes.

Guest MaccaJK

So the bloke referees we get who are shite are convieniently forgotten then?

As BCFCSeattle says don't judge her on her sex, just how she performs as a referee. If she was crap its got nothing to do with whether shes a girl or not. :ranting:

not only is she crap but she should be reffing womens football.

its not fair that she should be running the line while better blokes are off for the day.

and she no doubt gets plenty of stick having said that if she did't look like ass' ass then maybe people wouldnt complain so much

Agree with you Dolly. I'm not particularly for or against women Ref's. A Ref's a Ref as far as I'm concerned.

Trouble is, the world of football is a man's world, and a women involved whether she is a Ref or Chief Exceutive has to be that much better than any man or she will be subject to critism.

As for Newell it was a cheap shot and I believe he later apologised. I don't believe he didn't mean what he said but he realised, or had it pointed out to him, that amongst other things he risked alienating all female fans at Luton!

What would he say if he got dealt a couple of bad decisions by a black Ref, would he have mentioned that???

its not fair that she should be running the line while better blokes are off for the day.

But how do you know that the "better blokes" were off for the day. Define better? Shes earned the right to be there as much as any bloke, and has probably had to try harder to prove her worth as a referee.

What would you prefer then, a female ref who makes the right decision, or a bloke ref who was just there because hes a bloke and not a girl, and who ends up then making the wrong decision.

You don't hate the ref cos hes a bloke when he has a crap game, you hate him cos hes crap, the fact hes a bloke doesnt come into it for a second.

Try joining the 21st century. Like RedM says, you don't hear managers slagging off refs cos of their colour, so why should they get slagged off cos theyre female?

The bloke was emotionally charged, felt cheated and so endulged in a scathing rant. Imo; it's funny.

Logic isn't appropriate for me in these situations.

Watching womankind getting wound up by it is even funnier - I appologise, I think it's just the way I am.

I've no problem with him having an 'emotionally charged rant' and actually think that Managers are overly censored at times regarding officials and their decisions.

My reason for being wound up (I'm not really) is that did he not really think he had enough grounds for complaint and he had to use her sex to strengthen his case?

I dumbfounded that so many people here agree with Newell. I mean I'm all for calling crap referees crap. But as Dolly said none of us would agree with commenting if the Referee was Black or Pakistani or whatever, that isn't acceptable and neither is accusing her of being crap because of her womanness. It's not a question of political correctness is a question of right and wrong, and in this case even by his own admission Newell is wrong.

More power to the Referee in question if she puts up with you lot giving her schtick. Not a position any of us would like to be in.

I dumbfounded that so many people here agree with Newell. I mean I'm all for calling crap referees crap. But as Dolly said none of us would agree with commenting if the Referee was Black or Pakistani or whatever, that isn't acceptable and neither is accusing her of being crap because of her womanness. It's not a question of political correctness is a question of right and wrong, and in this case even by his own admission Newell is wrong.

More power to the Referee in question if she puts up with you lot giving her schtick. Not a position any of us would like to be in.

Fact is that I can only assume this woman has got where she is because she is a woman. As Mike Newell said it is tokenism at its worst.

There are close to 10000 people watching a match and they get given a bird lineswoman who at best should be refing girls school football.

Its easy to berate linsemen, or if you want to be a PC cnnuut 'referees assisstant', for poor offside calls, or the odd bad decision. But this woman gets the simple stuff wrong. Its just a sad state of affairs and demonstrates why women should keep out of football.

There are close to 10000 people watching a match and they get given a bird lineswoman who at best should be refing girls school football.

Its easy to berate linsemen, or if you want to be a PC cnnuut 'referees assisstant', for poor offside calls, or the odd bad decision. But this woman gets the simple stuff wrong. Its just a sad state of affairs and demonstrates why women should keep out of football.

Scuse me but wake up and smell the 21st century. There are plenty of shockingly shite referees in this country who are blokes. What a completely sexist thing to say that women should keep out of football. Get a life!

Fact is that I can only assume this woman has got where she is because she is a woman. As Mike Newell said it is tokenism at its worst.

So she made a mistake? Wernt some of you guys slatung Halsey at Forest a few weeks ago? People make mistakes so just cos shes a woman you slate her. Pretty sad really. Newell took it too far and will suffer the consequences. Cant see him at the helm at Luton for much longer.

I think in some regards you agree with the correct side. It's fine to say she is a crap linesman/assistant ref, you can even say she doesn't deserve to be a referee, that's all fair but it is chauvinistic at best to say it's because shes a woman.

It makes their job that much harder if they come in with a huge bias against them. I'm sure she isn't the worst asst. referee in the Football League, yet the worst just gets the "man that bloke was the worst linesman I've ever seen, he should go back to work cleaning muck out of stalls"

Notice no one here seems to be defending whether or not she is crap (she probably is), merely she shouldn't be getting all the problems for being female.

If women's football shouldn't be around maybe you ought to tell that to FIFA who endorse the game. If you go to games over here in the USA often time the womens game is better at least as far as teamwork and skill sets are concerned, granted it slower but is played at a much higher quality than you blokes usually give it credit for.

Scuse me but wake up and smell the 21st century. There are plenty of shockingly shite referees in this country who are blokes. What a completely sexist thing to say that women should keep out of football. Get a life!

Would a linesman that poor, capable of making such terrible decisions, have got the opportunity to do so if they were a man?

If the answer's yes then fair enough. If it's no then it's tokenism and just as sexist as saying kick women out of football.

There are obviously plenty of shocking male refs but please - that was amazingly bad.

Would a linesman that poor, capable of making such terrible decisions, have got the opportunity to do so if they were a man?

If the answer's yes then fair enough. If it's no then it's tokenism and just as sexist as saying kick women out of football.

There are obviously plenty of shocking male refs but please - that was amazingly bad.

Like Seattle said it was more the sexist comments than the quality of the ref. Lots of refs make errors. Newell went too far with his comments imo.

Like Seattle said it was more the sexist comments than the quality of the ref. Lots of refs make errors. Newell went too far with his comments imo.

I agree he did - the amusing thing is that his comments probably made it a dead cert that the assistant ref in question will not get dropped down any time soon.

I still think there's possibly an element of truth to the tokenism even though his rant about it being a man's game was clearly sexist bollocks.

I agree he did - the amusing thing is that his comments probably made it a dead cert that the assistant ref in question will not get dropped down any time soon.

I still think there's possibly an element of truth to the tokenism even though his rant about it being a man's game was clearly sexist bollocks.

Wonder if he will get a tirent of abuse from female fans next Luton match. Would be interesting to watch :D

i don't see y ladies don't just ref ladies games and men ref mens. i think this would make the womens game stronger because if a woman is a good ref then she gets put into the mens game so surley this downgrades the womans game. Also if it was a player then they wouldnt be alloud to move to the mens game would they? :dunno:

Archived