IGNORED

Colossus Mccombe

Nogbad the Bad

Some call him a bullet heading Man Mountain. :cool:

Others the new Shaun Taylor.

Either way he was exactly what we were looking for and has fitted in superbly.

Almost too well. Dominant in the air, hard in the tackle, all round inspirational player.

Anyone worried, like me, that GJ's best signing may only be with us a very short time if he maintains this form? Looks capable of stepping up again and is sure to be catching someone's eye. :grr:

Are we going to struggle to keep him in January? :(

Hope not, McCombe is a City legend in the making. :city:

He's certainly been the best Johnson signing so far by a long way, and I think will go on to be a great player for the club.

I was confused when we let Heywood go only to replace him with a similar player - less so now because McCombe is several classes above him.

Almost too well. Dominant in the air, hard in the tackle, all round inspirational player.

Anyone worried, like me, that GJ's best signing may only be with us a very short time if he maintains this form? Looks capable of stepping up again and is sure to be catching someone's eye. :grr:

he is quality, and for all the criticism GJ gets in the transfer market area from some of our number, no one can deny that this signing is a masterstroke.

i am sure clubs will be looking at him, BUT SL usually gets his head turned by real big bucks, i.e. sums up near or above the £1m mark, and as no one is likely to pay that for a defender in the first division i don't think jamie will be going anywahere just yet. :pray:

Yeah a great signing and at the moment probably my favorite player at the club. Him, Johnson or Russell I would say.

Shame it took him so long to get into the first team due to being unfit and injured (Seems to be the story of our season) as if we had him for the first few games we probably wouldn't be smarting over the last two losses just to much.

Jamie McCombe caught my eye originally with his bullet headers that were clearing 20+ per game dangerous crosses into our penalty area. Macallister and Basso were also inspired signings by Johnson in my opinion but Jamie McCombe is - LITERALLY - head and shoulders above the rest. He must easily be Premiership and maybe even full international material and I just hope he takes this club to the Premiership with him. :sun:

I'm a member of the McCombe fan club as well.For such a young guy he's shows maturity beyond his years with his leadership qualities.He's also a good player and will only get better.It probably won't be this January that see him leave AG but next especially if he impresses as much with City in the Championship.

Johnosns' best signing with Noble and Johnson junior just behind.

Great thread Nogbad.

He really is a good player.

Hope he stays with us

really?

what about mcallister, surely he isn't that far behind, nor is noble or lee johnson

I don't think they've had anywhere near the same positive impact that McCombe has and I think McCombe will form the core of our central defence for many years. That's not to say the others aren't decent players.

He's certainly been the best Johnson signing so far by a long way, and I think will go on to be a great player for the club.

I was confused when we let Heywood go only to replace him with a similar player - less so now because McCombe is several classes above him.

Similar player :rofl2br::rofl2br: Heywood was never the player we needed to slow when up against a small fast player, who could run rings round him, You have to say well done GJ for getting McCombe to this club I'm sure alot bigger clubs might have been looking at him. Like others before me have said a City legend in the making.

Similar player :rofl2br::rofl2br: Heywood was never the player we needed to slow when up against a small fast player,

Heywood was a first ball winning centre half, he did exactly that. McCombe is the same but he does it better and he's better on the deck, younger and seems to be a good leader but he's still vulnerable to pace.

I guess we should be happy to overlook a less that effective loan or 3 if the players GJ actually signs are quality?

When McCombe signed for us I wondered how much he would play as Fontaine seemed to have made a good partnership with Carey towards the end of last season. Now I prefere McCombe there. Also, how did we get him so easy, not like us is it!

I don't think they've had anywhere near the same positive impact that McCombe has and I think McCombe will form the core of our central defence for many years. That's not to say the others aren't decent players.

Agree that Mccombe is by far the best signing that GJ has made, however Mcalister, noble, and johnson made signs that they can be a good signing in the making, mccalister is consistent game in game out and i don't think he has done much wrong (exept the mistake which lead to one of the yeovil goals which he admitted) I didnt think woodman did much wrong when he replaced him but I'm glad he did because he's been superb for me. Johnson has made signs of brilliance, and had some really god games for us, unfortunately some bad aswell, all he needs is a goal under his bealt and I'm sure that will come soon. And noble was imense when he first came to us, one of our better players towards the end of last season, hope he can pick up a bit of that form and maintain a place in the squad this season.

Heywood was a first ball winning centre half, he did exactly that. McCombe is the same but he does it better and he's better on the deck, younger and seems to be a good leader but he's still vulnerable to pace.

A big tall defender may always be vulnerable to pace but with Louis Carey alongside Jamie McCombe we have the best central defensive pairing in this division. Can't help thinking that Carey and McCombe would probably be the best central defensive pairing in the Championship as well.

I have to disagree with the suggestion that GJ's signings (and I'm talking about the permanent ones here) have not been impressive in general.

Considering he's only been here about a year, and that there's been no scouting structure as such, to bring in players of the quality of McCombe, McAllister, Noble, Lee Johnson, Weale and Basso WITHOUT even spending big bucks is no small feat. That's half a team of high quality players brought in for bugger all in the space of a year to supplement those already here.

I have to say that for me, Johnson is the pick of the bunch. But McCombe could turn out to be just as vital if we get promotion this season. As everyone else has noted, we've struggled for years to fill the Shaun Taylor role. McCombe has a long way to go in terms of proving consistency game after game, year after year, but from what I've seen so far he's definitely on track.

McCombe, Carey and Fontaine are an awesome trio to be able to select from at the back. If we had a striker who could score goals - and hopefully Brooker will be back soon - then it's hard to see who can stop us.

Jamie McCombe caught my eye originally with his bullet headers that were clearing 20+ per game dangerous crosses into our penalty area. Macallister and Basso were also inspired signings by Johnson in my opinion but Jamie McCombe is - LITERALLY - head and shoulders above the rest. He must easily be Premiership and maybe even full international material and I just hope he takes this club to the Premiership with him. :sun:

surely you are joking?

No I'm not joking, McCombe reminds me of the two big and brutal England defenders of yore - Butcher and Adams.

Yeah he is a Tony Adams like defender you are right. McCombe is class best defender we have had since Shaun Taylor.

No I'm not joking, McCombe reminds me of the two big and brutal England defenders of yore - Butcher and Adams.

McCombe is a good player but not that good.

He might just make the Premiership but like Shaun Taylor would be exposed against top quality strikers.He's certainly not England International standard.He lacks one vital quality - decent pace.

If City make it through to the FA Cup 3rd round and draw a Premiership club it would be interesting to see how he does.

I have to disagree with the suggestion that GJ's signings (and I'm talking about the permanent ones here) have not been impressive in general.

Considering he's only been here about a year, and that there's been no scouting structure as such, to bring in players of the quality of McCombe, McAllister, Noble, Lee Johnson, Weale and Basso WITHOUT even spending big bucks is no small feat. That's half a team of high quality players brought in for bugger all in the space of a year to supplement those already here.

I have to say that for me, Johnson is the pick of the bunch. But McCombe could turn out to be just as vital if we get promotion this season. As everyone else has noted, we've struggled for years to fill the Shaun Taylor role. McCombe has a long way to go in terms of proving consistency game after game, year after year, but from what I've seen so far he's definitely on track.

McCombe, Carey and Fontaine are an awesome trio to be able to select from at the back. If we had a striker who could score goals - and hopefully Brooker will be back soon - then it's hard to see who can stop us.

We certainly have missed Brooker, not just for his own golas contribution but for the difference he will make to Jevons, who, in my opinion, will score goals alongside him (although for a striker completely out of form, with some fans already on his back and having to often play on his own upfront 7 goals in 18 matches isn't bad) . What we have found though is that we don't have suitable back up for Brooker. Enoch is not quite the same - he's a bit different.

I'm absolutely stunned at the criticism GJ gets. In a year he has turned around this club, to now leave us in a position where we have mainly young, hungry talented players all looking to push themselves and the club to a higher level - and sitting in 4th place with all to play for. Clearly a few additions are required, GJ knows that and will bring in the right people. Lets give him and the team our support, a bit of patience and see what happens.

We certainly have missed Brooker, not just for his own golas contribution but for the difference he will make to Jevons, who, in my opinion, will score goals alongside him (although for a striker completely out of form, with some fans already on his back and having to often play on his own upfront 7 goals in 18 matches isn't bad) . What we have found though is that we don't have suitable back up for Brooker. Enoch is not quite the same - he's a bit different.

I'm absolutely stunned at the criticism GJ gets. In a year he has turned around this club, to now leave us in a position where we have mainly young, hungry talented players all looking to push themselves and the club to a higher level - and sitting in 4th place with all to play for. Clearly a few additions are required, GJ knows that and will bring in the right people. Lets give him and the team our support, a bit of patience and see what happens.

Spot on :clapping:

so you think he has a chance of taking terry or ferdinands position?

Jamie McCombe has two arms, two legs and one head just like Terry and Ferdinand - think about it. :D Jamie McCombe has talent and he's already brought out the very best in Louis Carey as his central defensive partner at BCFC. Jamie McCombe has raw talent for all to see - if his raw talent is cultivated properly then he'll play international football. That's my honest opinion - and who would ever dispute the honest thoughts of an English and Republican Red Goblin? :farmer:

Archived