IGNORED

Ashton Gate

Tom Fleuriot

Sell the Ground - that should cover the overall debt. More Houses are required & AG is a prime site.

Perhaps Bristol Council will help out with some land further South. Besides all the PUBS are being closed. :rain:

I think of Ashton Gate as our spiritual home, but if the club announced plans to sell it and build a new stadium, maybe up by Hartcliffe Way, what would people think?

I don't know anything about the potential value of the site, but if we assume flats rather than houses, it's quite a prime location and you could fit a lot in there, and we could probably get cheaper land up by Hartcliffe as there's a lot of space there, with arguably better transport links.

So what I'm wondering is:

How much have other clubs made when they've moved to a new stadium?

What would people think about it?

I'm assuming here the stadium name isn't sponsored, as that's rubbish. The Lansdown Arena?

The fact that Somerset is to become a unified authority, I think we should be pusing for a move to what is north somerset NOW

Long Ashton cricket ground would be ideal,next to the park and ride and the railway line. Include the link road for easier access to the A38 and a platform for both football fans and a shuttle service to the airport.

It also gets rid of another cricket ground.

Long Ashton cricket ground would be ideal,next to the park and ride and the railway line. Include the link road for easier access to the A38 and a platform for both football fans and a shuttle service to the airport.

if we have to move (don't do it!)

It has to be here

We would only be moving a mile and a half. We can still keep our roots in the areal intact. :city:

The fact that Somerset is to become a unified authority, I think we should be pusing for a move to what is north somerset NOW

That does not include North Somerset which is already a unitity authority.

What really should happend to local goverment is a greater bristol authority, its a cazy situation that places like filton , bradley stoke amd kingswood are not in bristol.

A greater Bristol would include all these areas plus land to the south of the city and when the ring road is completed to the south of the city areas of land would become avalible to develope.

That does not include North Somerset which is already a unitity authority.

What really should happend to local goverment is a greater bristol authority, its a cazy situation that places like filton , bradley stoke amd kingswood are not in bristol.

A greater Bristol would include all these areas plus land to the south of the city and when the ring road is completed to the south of the city areas of land would become avalible to develope.

No way, none of us in South Glos or BANES wan't to be part of a council that includes Bristol.

I think that the land can only be used for commercial development if the club was to move.

I think that it wouldn't be the same if we didn't play at Ashton Gate.

Now, I've only been going down the Gate for 16 years, but I'm not sure I feel that much affinity towards it (only seeing two promotions clearly won't have helped).

I remember watching Junior spank Everton, and Ruddock gesture to the crowd, from a different end to where I am now.

I remember heckling Portsmouth fans, separated by only 10-15 metres in what is now the Atyeo.

And I recall the pissoirs in the East End.

But they're not there anymore - in fact every stand has changed in some way in the last 16 years.

I live in north Bristol now, but I still feel that there's so much land near Hartcliffe that a bright gleaming stadium could be stronger. Throw in a few statues of the Ashton Gate 8, fatty Wedlock, Atyeo, and of course Ian Baird in the new flats or the new stadium, and I think it could help to redvelop parts of Bristol without compromising our history.

I suppose my point is that we don't have anything like the Shankly Gates, the Kop, or the Munich memorial at our ground, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be the same.

Guest mesa boogie

But if we made sure that we cold it AFTER we'd built the new stadium...?

Although I guess there's cashflow issues involved there as well.

Surely the Stadium would have to be sold to fund the new stadium?

Surely the Stadium would have to be sold to fund the new stadium?

Yeah, I'm being stoopid. Unless we sorted out some complex debt restructuring thing like Arsenal / Man City. Or got Bristol to host the Commonwealth games.

So, if we were to learn from your experience, and still move to another stadium, what do you think Dunceford and co did wrong? Apart from trying to improve a naturally shabby outfit of course :D

Guest mesa boogie

Yeah, I'm being stoopid. Unless we sorted out some complex debt restructuring thing like Arsenal / Man City. Or got Bristol to host the Commonwealth games.

So, if we were to learn from your experience, and still move to another stadium, what do you think Dunceford and co did wrong? Apart from trying to improve a naturally shabby outfit of course :D

How many Bristol Rovers Directors does it take to change a light bulb?

Doesn't matter, they'll never see the light.

Going back to the question In the 6 years Dunford has been in charge we have been relegated and been involved in too many relegation dog fights and not once have pushed for promotion. Dunford oversaw the appointments of Graydon, Atkins and Thompson. He has also turned his back on the only forward thinking board members leaving us with Boycie and Smithers.

:englandsmile4wf: Please never move from ashton gate. I have sang cheered cried bled fought in red and white at ashtongate not hartcliffe not long ashton we need to redevelop ashton gate not move PLEASE! Having moved from the area in the last few years i have recently visited both the walkers stadium and the ricoh arena very pretty very clean very nice BUT no bloody atmosphere its like sitting in a fish bowl. Arsenal aside what club has moved to a stadium that has bettered the club?

CITY ARE MY RELIGON ASHTONGATE MY CHURCH leave it alone (please)

. Arsenal aside what club has moved to a stadium that has bettered the club?

CITY ARE MY RELIGON ASHTONGATE MY CHURCH leave it alone (please)

Are you serious?

Wigan

Reading

Swansea

Just for starters.

All this talk of ripping the heart out of your club is simply not true.

Yes your club changes but in almost all respects for the better. We have average over 3000 under 16s watching us this season, in some years gone buy we wouldn't have got 300.

The Vetch to be fair was a light year behing AG let alone a new ground, however the Liberty stadium as many of you will witness tomorrow can still generate the same sort of atmosphere and does feel like home. Undersoil heating, better drainage, no pillars, plenty of leg room, loads of bars, cracking hospitality, increased capacity, and plenty of pubs in walking distance.

My ex boss wa s southampton player for many years and although there is a close named after him at the old dell site he says the new dell is nowheer near as powerful as the old dell and since they moved the club went down hill and the atmosphere has gone

difference with reading swansea snd co they have money we don't so they bring in players who can get a crowd going

southmapton are prime example of what happens when you take the heart out a club, heart being the ground

the manor was lively before, now the kassam is very quiet and where are oxford now

main road was a fortress but the city of manchester really aint a sound bomb

LEAVE ASTON GATE FOR FOOTBALL NOT FLATS

###### the money our youth system will pay the debts by teh selling of useful young players for strong amounts, ashton gate is the home of bristol city and has served us well, most poeple in country have heard of ashton gate and even some clubs hate coming here, lets not ruin the club all together

I think it will be too expensive to re-develop Ashton Gate.

I've been looking on Google Earth to see if there are any other sites suitable for a new stadium, yet the answer may be just over the road.

Why don't we build a new stadium on Greville Smythe Park, on condition that the current stadium is turned into a park afterwards.

I think the site is big enough for a stadium, and we wouldn't have to change the name of the ground!

The point is the only reason we would need a move is if SL and KD continue to drive this club into the ground.

Given that if that happens I wouldn't trust this board to manage ANY move to a new ground succesfully

(think bricks, shirts, eastend,Stewart, redevelopment,catering,premier seating,etc)

We've got to battle to make sure we stay at AG, and we've got to make it clear to this board that they are accountable for more than

just some shares.

This is OUR club, don't let them take it from us.

fight the power.

Archived