IGNORED

Basso's Form

scumbag

Great Performance again for Basso today, last couple of Weeks his form has been EXCELLENT! made a fair few very very good saves and seems to have got rid of the flamboyant part of his game, kicking again today was a bit dodgy.

He certainaly seems to be excelling playing behind a better defence and no doubt having Weale on the Bench pressing him for a place he is having to up his game, Undroppable at the moment!

So - where are those that labled Basso 'a clown' earlier in the season? :sleeping:

Can't speak for everyone but I'm right here ...

... he did put in clown-like performances earlier in the season but his all-round performances have improved enormously and "Basso moments" are now, thankfully, much less frequent.

His shot-stopping was always very good but some recent performances have been top drawer; his kicking has improved and so has his decision-making though I would think the latter is mostly due to having a quality first-ball-winning central defender (McCombe) in front of him, something we've lacked for many a season.

Even though he is in excellent form it is time Weale had a go.

I only say this because Basso is getting on a bit...

Too much of a risk at the moment id say Collis.

As you say, Basso is on excellent form, there is no guarantee the Weale is going to be up to the same standard, until he's match sharp at least.

It would shatter Basso's confidence and if we needed him again we might see the Basso of old.

Keep him in until he has a really poor game or two.

I expect to see Weale take over for either the Paint Pot game or the FA cup game, if not both.

Not because Basso is in poor form, but who knows when injury or suspension my happen. Weale needs a first team start and Basso could probably do with a rest.

Great Performance again for Basso today, last couple of Weeks his form has been EXCELLENT! made a fair few very very good saves and seems to have got rid of the flamboyant part of his game, kicking again today was a bit dodgy.

He certainaly seems to be excelling playing behind a better defence and no doubt having Weale on the Bench pressing him for a place he is having to up his game, Undroppable at the moment!

Yep, Basso was in great form again today. Another fantastic find for bugger all and evidence that you don't have to splash out a fortune for quality if you have a good eye and know what you are looking for. Amazing that some people were calling him 'non-league standard' after he arrived. Having Basso and Weale fighting for the No 1 jersey is extremely healthy.

I'm a big fan of Basso's and he should stay in the team.

He has saved us now on at least two occasions in the last three away fixtures.

However, to be even handed, his kicking has still got to improve (I thought it was a lot better yesterday mostly) and he was at fault when we cleared it off the line.

He was miles out of position on that incident I thought.

I had serious doubts about Basso last season, but to his credit he's proved me wrong and made himself undroppable for the time being. I'm sure knowing that there's a real quality keeper in Weale waiting in the wings will have concentrated his mind, so credit to Johnson for introducing real competition for the first time in ages. I'm hard pushed to think of the last time we had two keepers who could both consider themeselves to be the rightful 'Number One'. Keith Welch and Andy Leaning in the early 90's maybe?

I had serious doubts about Basso last season, but to his credit he's proved me wrong and made himself undroppable for the time being. I'm sure knowing that there's a real quality keeper in Weale waiting in the wings will have concentrated his mind, so credit to Johnson for introducing real competition for the first time in ages. I'm hard pushed to think of the last time we had two keepers who could both consider themeselves to be the rightful 'Number One'. Keith Welch and Andy Leaning in the early 90's maybe?

Spot on, Dave. That's got to be the last time.

Also, it's worth mentioning that GJ managed to do this AND send a very direct message to the rest of the squad that he would not tolerate prima donnas who put themselves before the team. Seeing what has happened to Phillips (who only has himself to blame) must have had an impact and concentrated minds.

Also, it's worth mentioning that GJ managed to do this AND send a very direct message to the rest of the squad that he would not tolerate prima donnas who put themselves before the team. Seeing what has happened to Phillips (who only has himself to blame) must have had an impact and concentrated minds.

On the flip side to Phillips and his crap attitude, Basso is extremely popular with his teamates and a very positive influence around the squad.Whenever he speaks in team meetings they all listen.He's very well respected.

Those are qualities that can't be valued highly enough and maybe part of the reason that Johnson stuck by him when he was going through a patch of poor form.

Last season I was not over-impressed with Basso, and his early season form was not good. However, I am really pleased that he has proved me wrong, far better tthan saying 'I told you so'. He was excellent yesterday, and should remain first choice- But I would give Weale a game in the Dulux thingy, just to help his return to match fitness.

Archived