IGNORED

Worrying Trends & Xmas Shopping!

BS4 on Tour...

With all the recent claims by clubs such as Chelsea that they will be the biggest clubs in the UK / world by 2010 it is time we made a stand!

If you are thinking of buying a relative or friend a Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc top for Christmas please STOP for a minute and think of the possible consequences!

We should be encouraging all youngsters in our great City to support the mighty BCFC and convince them that one of our victories is worth 20 of Chelsea's wins.

Don't you just love the fact that we turn up for a City game either home or away knowing full well that all 3 results are entirely possible on all occasions!

We go through a whole range of emotions unlike the nouveau Premireship fans who crow about another great Chelsea or Man U victory whilst driving 100s of miles back to their home towns - knowing full well they'd win before they turned up!

These are emotionless lost souls who will never go through what we all do during a game and will never savour a victory like we do.

The ultimate example of this was on Talksport recently when a guy phoned in who used to 'support' Man U and now 'supports' Chelsea!!!!!!!!!!

Boycott the premiership clubs' shirts and encourage Bristolians to support the City....... :chant6ez:

With all the recent claims by clubs such as Chelsea that they will be the biggest clubs in the UK / world by 2010 it is time we made a stand!

If you are thinking of buying a relative or friend a Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal etc top for Christmas please STOP for a minute and think of the possible consequences!

We should be encouraging all youngsters in our great City to support the mighty BCFC and convince them that one of our victories is worth 20 of Chelsea's wins.

Don't you just love the fact that we turn up for a City game either home or away knowing full well that all 3 results are entirely possible on all occasions!

We go through a whole range of emotions unlike the nouveau Premireship fans who crow about another great Chelsea or Man U victory whilst driving 100s of miles back to their home towns - knowing full well they'd win before they turned up!

These are emotionless lost souls who will never go through what we all do during a game and will never savour a victory like we do.

The ultimate example of this was on Talksport recently when a guy phoned in who used to 'support' Man U and now 'supports' Chelsea!!!!!!!!!!

Boycott the premiership clubs' shirts and encourage Bristolians to support the City....... :chant6ez:

I say this to my wife and she says my son can have a Rooney kit if he likes it.

Told her the bigger clubs only get bigger and richer to buy better players/ upgrade the facilities etc and teams like City cant compete. This is because they don't get enough exposure for the children of Bristol to become more aware who the players are down the Gate and want to display the kit.

My son does have the current City kit and i am really strongly resisting making Man U profit from me.

:city::city:

Sadly there are some that only follow clubs that are succesfull.I can remember at school when Man Utd won the European Cup and suddenly everyone supported them.Its no different now.I asked them why they didn't support City and was told 'because there're crap and in the third division'.

People enjoy the kudos that goes with a top European club like Chelsea Man Utd et al.In my view they are not true supporters unless they travel and watch them week in week out.They are armchair fans.

Most know I'm an Arsenal fan and have been for 35 years but I don't support them.I've never owned a Arsenal shirt and I haven't seen them play 'live' for years.

It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to many if we ever got to the Premier League because the glory hunters would then say:-

"You may be in the Premiership but you'll never win it like we have"

or

"You haven't got history like us" - we and us being a team they only "support" on Sky and who play 120-200 miles away.

All you can do is make sure you "indoctrinate" your children to follow City!! I do!! My five year old hasn't got the attention span to go to the games yet but he plays football over the park in his City kit (and which he will wear when he starts training with the local under 6's in the new year - I am glad to say he won't be the only one) and I make sure he watches the goals when they are on telly.

All children want to support the best team to start with - sums up the mental age of the adults in Bristol and various other places who live nowhere near Manchester, Liverpool and London, have no ties with the areas and "support" them - but you must make sure that if you are a City fan you don't let it happen to your children!!

Guest MaccaJK

sorry mate but to claim that you must be out of your mind.

everyone who turns up at ashton gate week in week out has a favourite premiership team. mine personnally is man utd. and the one occasion a year that i do go to man utd i love it, it's great a good day out. to claim that only one result is possible is complete rubbish too. man u and chelsea win because they play well and put effort in every game. do you remember the season before last? luton stormed our league and last season reading stormed theirs. so league one and ccc was predictable too.

everyone who turns up at ashton gate week in week out has a favourite premiership team. mine personnally is man utd. and the one occasion a year that i do go to man utd i love it, it's great a good day out. to claim that only one result is possible is complete rubbish too. man u and chelsea win because they play well and put effort in every game. do you remember the season before last? luton stormed our league and last season reading stormed theirs. so league one and ccc was predictable too.

Speak for yourself - I don't have a favourite Premiership team. I watch Match of the Day and games on Sky at all levels but only because I enjoy football. I couldn't give a flying one about the fortunes of Man Ure, Chelski, The Arse or anybody else for that matter. The problem is that I see a Premiership that is no more competitive than the SPL and is full of lying, diving, whinging, mostly foreign, cheats earning astronomical sums of money for the pleasure of conning the general public every time they try to win a penalty or get a fellow pro sent off. Managers (Stuart Pearce excepted) who are never at fault, who always blame the referee, whose player has never dived, who never saw the assault by their defender, who bitch like primary school girls at the opposition in the name of psychology etc. etc.

Is the fact that you also "support" Man Utd (once a season anyway) the reason why you have been coming on here and slagging City off so much (which, before you get too precious, I accept you are entitled to do on an open forum) - i.e. you are comparing them with us?

Guest MaccaJK
Is the fact that you also "support" Man Utd (once a season anyway) the reason why you have been coming on here and slagging City off so much (which, before you get too precious, I accept you are entitled to do on an open forum) - i.e. you are comparing them with us?

obviously i don't compare man u with us. i compare us now with us six months ago and note to moron its a hell of a lot worse now.

obviously i don't compare man u with us. i compare us now with us six months ago and note to moron its a hell of a lot worse now.

I don't understand what is a hell of a lot worse now than at any point last season. I agree that we are not seeing entertaining football (apart from brief 20 minute bursts when we show what we can do) but in fairness for much of last season, particularly after the 9 match losing run, we were watching defensive football and grinding out the wins we needed to reach safety. Only then did we play with any freedom when the pressure was totally off. We are suffering because of the make up of our squad - in the wide positions we have an ageing winger who is doing it some days and not others, a very inexperienced winger/striker who has much to learn about the pro game and a number of defensively minded wide players who can "do a job" in the confines of a safety first 1-0 style of play. Some of that is down to Johnson in that a left winger should have been signed in the close season and simply has to be signed during the transfer window if we are going to expand our style of play.

But the main point is that, despite the fact we have not been playing great for the most part, we are in third position in the league (much BETTER than at any point last season or the season before) and have a golden opportunity to strengthen the squad and really push on. That represents improvement to me and the ball will fimly be in Lansdown's/Johnson's court in the new year to show us how serious they really are about getting out of this division.

I have a season ticket, and personally have never supported a premiership team, never wanted to and don't see the need to? the only premiership team I ever want to support is Bristol City.

supporting City takes up enough of my time in my life, I couldn't find the time to part-time supporting a prem club, I enjoy watching some premiership football, but in generally find it can be quite dull, Arsenal are good to watch, but apart from that there isn't many teams that are exciting to watch?

Chelsea - the premiership champions and Liverpool the previous season's Champions League Winners produce some of the most boring football seen, (well apart from England)

As for Man United fans.......personally I can't think of supporting a more disgusting club, still quite enjoyable now they are owned by a bunch of yanks and are hundreds of million in debt!

and if any son of mine asks for a Shirt of a club other than Bristol City I want a DNA TEST! (i could even handle him being a gashead) never have a glory hunting kid! I want my children to be proud Bristol City fans growing up! like I was!

Guest MaccaJK
As for Man United fans.......personally I can't think of supporting a more disgusting club, still quite enjoyable now they are owned by a bunch of yanks and are hundreds of million in debt!

and if any son of mine asks for a Shirt of a club other than Bristol City I want a DNA TEST! (i could even handle him being a gashead) never have a glory hunting kid! I want my children to be proud Bristol City fans growing up! like I was!

you could handle a gashead?

WTF?

you can be a proud city fan and support a prem team. i do it, it aint impossible.

personnally don't see why man u are disgusting, they earned their team through their youth team and play english players. something that most premiership teams don't even consider.

I am a gashead and agree with supporting your local club. I can't stand glory hunters who "support" teams in the premiership if they arn't from that area. All kids should be tought to support your local team!!

They certainly should. It bothers me when i see kids out in Bristol with Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool Strips on. These kids should be encouraged to support their local team. It would be nice to see more kids out and about with the City strip on.

They certainly should. It bothers me when i see kids out in Bristol with Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool Strips on. These kids should be encouraged to support their local team. It would be nice to see more kids out and about with the City strip on.

Yes, I totally agree! I don't care if they are gas or sh*t as long as it is their local team!! this is what football needs in the lower leagues!!

everyone who turns up at ashton gate week in week out has a favourite premiership team. mine personnally is man utd.

And you've got the cheek to call someone out of their minds!!!!

I'm sure most don't have a second English team they support, I can't really see the point to be honest. 'I'm City through and through bar when on a sunday Manure are on the telly' doesn't exactly run off the tongue either!

Yes, I totally agree! I don't care if they are gas or sh*t as long as it is their local team!! this is what football needs in the lower leagues!!

Yes exactly. Instead of letting their kids sit in front of Sky Sports watching the premiership parents should take their kids down to watch either City/Rovers this is what this city needs more of.

Well i don't i support Bristol City and thats it i couldn't care less about any other team and never will.

I Have to say it would make my day if the gas went out of business and never existed.

But i would rather see a kid in Bristol wearing blue and white supporting his local team than a premiership \ spanish team that i see at nearly every home game at ashton gate.

That's the trouble with society today, it's the parents that need locking up!

WTF?

you can be a proud city fan and support a prem team. i do it, it aint impossible.

personnally don't see why man u are disgusting, they earned their team through their youth team and play english players. something that most premiership teams don't even consider.

To satisfy my curiousity, and to kill some work time this afternoon, I did some research

United starting XI from their last league game:

01 Van der Sar: not English, not a product of their youth system

02 Neville: English and a product of their youth system

05 Ferdinand: English, not a product of their youth system

15 Vidic: not English, not a product of their youth system

04 Heinze: not English, not a product of their youth system

07 Ronaldo: not English, not a product of their youth system

16 Carrick: English, not a product of their youth system

18 Scholes: English and a product of their youth system

11 Giggs: not English but a product of their youth system

08 Rooney: English, not a product of their youth system

09 Saha: not English, not a product of their youth system

Thus of 11 players

6 were not English

8 were not a product of their youth system, 2 of which, Rio and Rooney, were the 2 most expensive transfers between English clubs, and 2nd and 4th most expensive overall (note that Veron was the 3rd most expensive). A 3rd player, Carrick, is the 10th most expensive fee paid by an English club.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_turnover_07.htm

The 3 players who were products of the youth system are all the wrong side of 30: a sure sign of the talent presently flowing through to the 1st team.

So, you have a water-tight argument then?

WTF?

I would rather see someone in a Bristol street wearing a Rovers shirt than a Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, people who wear their local teams shirt aren't afford to show their local pride for their team, these glory hunter fans are just a bunch of sheep who just follow the majority for the team that's currently doing well

It's also interesting when abroad you can judge the REAL football fans, people in their prem shirts just blend into the background, whereas somewhere wearing a City/Rovers or Exeter City, Shrewsbury, Lincoln or Barnsley,

clubs like Man U are what is wrong with Modern day football, they are not interested in their fans, they are just big business who tout out their match tickets to those who can afford it most, personally one thing I've found in my life, in general those who support Man U don't know about being a Real Football fans, even had someone trying to DEFEND ronaldo for diving??? personally anyone who can support that person after his expolits against england needs shooting, No feeling for local or national pride!

I've grown up a City fan and have never seen the need to support anyone else, I can barely muster the support to back England due to their prima donna's.

Guest MaccaJK
To satisfy my curiousity, and to kill some work time this afternoon, I did some research

United starting XI from their last league game:

01 Van der Sar: not English, not a product of their youth system

02 Neville: English and a product of their youth system

05 Ferdinand: English, not a product of their youth system

15 Vidic: not English, not a product of their youth system

04 Heinze: not English, not a product of their youth system

07 Ronaldo: not English, not a product of their youth system

16 Carrick: English, not a product of their youth system

18 Scholes: English and a product of their youth system

11 Giggs: not English but a product of their youth system

08 Rooney: English, not a product of their youth system

09 Saha: not English, not a product of their youth system

Thus of 11 players

6 were not English

8 were not a product of their youth system, 2 of which, Rio and Rooney, were the 2 most expensive transfers between English clubs, and 2nd and 4th most expensive overall (note that Veron was the 3rd most expensive). A 3rd player, Carrick, is the 10th most expensive fee paid by an English club.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_turnover_07.htm

The 3 players who were products of the youth system are all the wrong side of 30: a sure sign of the talent presently flowing through to the 1st team.

So, you have a water-tight argument then?

okay then mate care to do one for chelsea? arsenal? spurs? any other bleedin premiership team?

Guest MaccaJK
agreed, but don't really have enough time to support two teams, do you go to alternate home games?

while you can 'support' two teams, you can't support them equally.

spot on.

no i cant support them equally and don't even try. a prefer city far more.

i go to city home and away. but i have man u as my second team.

I Have to say it would make my day if the gas went out of business and never existed.

But i would rather see a kid in Bristol wearing blue and white supporting his local team than a premiership \ spanish team that i see at nearly every home game at ashton gate.

That's the trouble with society today, it's the parents that need locking up!

Agree with supporting local home town teams, people should just be supporting their own local teams & thier National teams (England..etc) in my opinion.

Cant understand the desire for the total demise of local opposition clubs though, imagine Manchester minus either Utd or City... Liverpool minus Everton, Glasgow without Celtic & Rangers rivallry etc etc...

Bristol City/Rovers rivallry is a great part of supporting either team in Bristol (even better when youre a City fan of course, virtually always had local bragging rights and long may that remain the case)..its enables so much banter in the schools/workplaces/pubs etc & is fantastic when we get the occaisional local City/Rovers derby game.

Hence the many fans of both teams (although there is really only OTIB! :) ) that are hoping for a two legged JPT southern final clash between us & the sags... so despite always enjoying seeing the Rovers results when they lose... ala today!, I wouldnt wish their extinction cos thats like cutting off yer nose to spite yer face IMO..

okay then mate care to do one for chelsea? arsenal? spurs? any other bleedin premiership team?

Not really no, but feel free if you want. I was just responding to your claims of "they earned their team through their youth team and play english players. something that most premiership teams don't even consider." Any other side is irrelevant for the purposes of the argument you were making.

Guest MaccaJK
Just out of interest, what affiliation do you have with Manchester.

Were you born there? Lived there? Family from there?

Or no connection to Manchester at all?

my dad supports them. because it was the first match he ever saw. an old division 2 match.

Guest MaccaJK
Not really no, but feel free if you want. I was just responding to your claims of "they earned their team through their youth team and play english players. something that most premiership teams don't even consider." Any other side is irrelevant for the purposes of the argument you were making.

"something that most premiership teams don't even consider"

that is where other sides are relevent :rofl2br: jesus its even in your quote, could have edited it out.

Archived