IGNORED

Ian M

• Admin

After a comment by another poster recently I've had a look at our record in 2006 under GJ (League Matches) and it's as follows:

Pld42 W22 D9 L11 F63 A38 Pts75 (+25GD)

Conveniently we have 4 games remaining in 2006 and a return of 8 points would equal our best "seasonal" haul since relegation. It's not inconceivable that we will win all 4 giving an annual aggregate of 87 points.

Obviously nothing is achieved with annual points returns but given how well we have done this year under Johnson it still amazes me that so many supporters still peddle the line "the jury is still out"....

After a comment by another poster recently I've had a look at our record in 2006 under GJ (League Matches) and it's as follows:

Pld42 W22 D9 L11 F63 A38 Pts75 (+25GD)

Conveniently we have 4 games remaining in 2006 and a return of 8 points would equal our best "seasonal" haul since relegation. It's not inconceivable that we will win all 4 giving an annual aggregate of 87 points.

Obviously nothing is achieved with annual points returns but given how well we have done this year under Johnson it still amazes me that so many supporters still peddle the line "the jury is still out"....

I hate to put a negative spin on things,

But 11 losses in 42 is hardly promotion form.

Still, I'm a GJ fan, and i think we'll get there. Just.

...it still amazes me that some supporters constantly dream up new statistics in an effort to convince themselves of the basis for their undying loyalty to the manager

:whistle2:;)

My reasons for being reticent about Johnson are many, but the prime one is that of the consistency of the team. It's not just being good one week and crap the next, we can do it either side of half time!

I'll even throw in that, IMO, his squad is not the strongest or most talented we've had in this division. He's done nothing, so far, that ANY competent, run-of-the-mill manager could've done and he's certainly not the Messiah, that a lot of brown-nosers on this forum seem to think he is.

...it still amazes me that some supporters constantly dream up new statistics in an effort to convince themselves of the basis for their undying loyalty to the manager

My reasons for being reticent about Johnson are many, but the prime one is that of the consistency of the team. It's not just being good one week and crap the next, we can do it either side of half time!

I'll even throw in that, IMO, his squad is not the strongest or most talented we've had in this division. He's done nothing, so far, that ANY competent, run-of-the-mill manager could've done and he's certainly not the Messiah, that a lot of brown-nosers on this forum seem to think he is.

A rare voice of sanity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Admin

Just because I don't make it my raison d'etre to post negative comments about our manager it doesn't make me blind to his faults. It is purely my opinion that at this level you are unlikely to find the "complete" manager. Our current manager has more positives than many of our recent ones in my opinion.

Anyone would think from certain posters on here that GJ was the worst thing to happen in the history of BCFC. I'm merely attempting to point out to these users that they may not need to plan that trip to the Clifton Suspension Bridge just yet.....

Just because I don't make it my raison d'etre to post negative comments about our manager it doesn't make me blind to his faults. It is purely my opinion that at this level you are unlikely to find the "complete" manager. Our current manager has more positives than many of our recent ones in my opinion.

Anyone would think from certain posters on here that GJ was the worst thing to happen in the history of BCFC. I'm merely attempting to point out to these users that they may not need to plan that trip to the Clifton Suspension Bridge just yet.....

Madger, thats why opinions are opinions and forums are for personal feelings and comments!

I hope this guy gets us up, he def got his squad giving their best, and not one fan can knock where we are in the league or in cup comp,s.

But after years of misery, perhaps "some" are a little suspect to board the Johnson express quite yet.

Saying that, back end of Feb, still flying high, you/us will see City taking masses away from home in support plus Ashton Gate going up around 15,000 for home games.

Lets give it just a couple more months...Arn

• Admin
Madger, thats why opinions are opinions and forums are for personal feelings and comments!

I hope this guy gets us up, he def got his squad giving their best, and not one fan can knock where we are in the league or in cup comp,s.

But after years of misery, perhaps "some" are a little suspect to board the Johnson express quite yet.

Saying that, back end of Feb, still flying high, you/us will see City taking masses away from home in support plus Ashton Gate going up around 15,000 for home games.

Lets give it just a couple more months...Arn

True Arn, just a shame more City fans find themselves unable to lend their "support" earlier and put us in an even stronger position to strengthen :no:

True Arn, just a shame more City fans find themselves unable to lend their "support" earlier and put us in an even stronger position to strengthen :no:

Well mucker that will never change.

Its called "being a football fan", myself included.

The loss of a game can totally ruin your weekend, row with the wife, almost fight with the guy sat along side you, and hate the MANAGER for every wrong thing he does (but in your eyes only)

All of us want sucsess, all want to be top, win by 5 goals to nil, see 18,000 each home game, get to the leyland dafty cup final at Cardiff with 45,000 City fans, and play Man U in the quarter final of the FA Cup.

Achieve all that and.....STILL KNOCK!

Thats football fans matey....Arn

It is purely my opinion that I disagree with your viewpoint. ;) I merely gave my opinion - and my reasons for said opinion - that he, and his teams, haven't convinced me - yet.

Anyone would think from certain posters on here that GJ was the best thing to happen in the history of BCFC. I'm merely attempting to point out to these users that they shouldn't plan the promotion celebrations quite yet. :whistle:

You see, your argument can be phrased either way. IN MY OPINION, GJ has not yet convinced me that he is the man for the job. REGARDLESS of the 'statistics' being bandied about, his teams - in general - do not excite me and, apart from one or two exceptions, neither do his signings. It's all a bit 'HO-HUM' don't you think?

:sleeping:

It is purely my opinion that I disagree with your viewpoint. ;) I merely gave my opinion - and my reasons for said opinion - that he, and his teams, haven't convinced me - yet.

Anyone would think from certain posters on here that GJ was the best thing to happen in the history of BCFC. I'm merely attempting to point out to these users that they shouldn't plan the promotion celebrations quite yet. :whistle:

You see, your argument can be phrased either way. IN MY OPINION, GJ has not yet convinced me that he is the man for the job. REGARDLESS of the 'statistics' being bandied about, his teams - in general - do not excite me and, apart from one or two exceptions, neither do his signings. It's all a bit 'HO-HUM' don't you think?

:sleeping:

SR, Johnson aint convinced many, but after a shite start and a chance of being top 3 at the start of the new year, most would of been happy....

Why do you associate negative comment with lack of support?

I'm a season ticket holder and I have only missed 5 home games in 6 years. Though I'm not a singer, I applaud and cheer the team when they give me something to applaud and cheer about. I do not and have never booed the team.

I openly admit that I'm not a fan of Johnson but while I may have little positive to say about his tenure thus far, I do support the team at matches. :disapointed2se:

SR, Johnson aint convinced many, but after a shite start and a chance of being top 3 at the start of the new year, most would of been happy....

Possibly, but I believe ANY run-of-the-mill competent manager could've done what Johson has done so far.

My point is that Johnson isn't some kind of magical leader who will take us to the promised land. For me, Johnson has major flaws, which may, or may not, bring about his downfall.

Consistency is the proof of the pudding and promotion the topping - without either, Johnson is just another 'has-been'.

If you want miracle worker, take a look at what Colchester's rookie manager is doing on a shoestring with 5,000 gates.

Firstly, on the expectations that Arny and others have talked about.

Got a phone call from a bloke I used to work with.

This bloke hasn't missed a game for home or away, for ten years,Cup, League, Pre-Season Friendly- you name it, if it starts at 3pm he's there at 2pm waiting.Proper bloke, been there, seen it and done it.

Anyway he tells me about the game he's seen and how crap his team were.Boring, Negative etc, etc, etc.

All the stuff you hear on here.

His club?

CHELSEA.

Now, if they've got moaners..........it's all about expectations.

Anyway, back to the original post by Madger.

I am one of many that still say the jury's out and my reasons are, I believe, logical & simple.

I mentioned them in a reply to a thread started by Hornbeam Red (I think) about splinters and there are never many in mine.

Managers are ultimately judged on results in most walks of life.That result might be someones health or happiness if you're in a caring proffesion or it could be a financial measure-However, there are always measures.

In football, my measure of success is winning things, promotions, cups etc, etc and is relative to your status.

For example, Alan Curbishley has won nothing in premier division football.Yet his ability to take a small club, like us, to the Premier League and, eventually, after one relegation, establish them, was plenty good enough to keep him his job.........and get him Pardews.Interestingly he's drawn & lost far more Premiership games than he's won.

The same performance with Arsenal or Liverpool would be deemed as failure and you'd be fired.........fired with a seven figure pay off, but fired all the same.

With City, there are those that feel our "rightful place" is The Championship.Whether one agrees or not, a club with this support, investment, academy, stadium and away following, shouldn't spend nine seasons in the Third Division.A combination of poor leadership and poor management has caused that.

There can be no argument that GJ has taken this club forward since he arrived.........Frankly, if he hadn't, there's a good chance that he'd no longer be here.Taking the club forward is highly commendable, but not a result in itself and I will judge him at the end of the season.To be regarded as highly succesful, automatic promotion and an LDV win would be nice, coupled with a journey, depending on opposition, to say the 5th round of the cup.That would be an excellent acheivement.Fantastic.

Winning the JPT and not gaining promotion would, in my book, be failure........although a cup win would dull the pain in the short term, it would in no way make up for missing out on Championship Football next season.

With the difference between being in the middle of The Premiership & The middle of the Championship being £39m per season in 2008, getting to The Championship is only the start, however, most City fans, yours truly included, would settle for 3/4 seasons in The Championship before even thinking of having a tilt at winning it, although, when you look at Watford, stranger things have happened and the play offs have created excitment as well as a lottery.

So, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....and it's not even warm yet!

Possibly, but I believe ANY run-of-the-mill competent manager could've done what Johson has done so far.

My point is that Johnson isn't some kind of magical leader who will take us to the promised land. For me, Johnson has major flaws, which may, or may not, bring about his downfall.

Consistency is the proof of the pudding and promotion the topping - without either, Johnson is just another 'has-been'.

If you want miracle worker, take a look at what Colchester's rookie manager is doing on a shoestring with 5,000 gates.

Spot On

• Admin
Why do you associate negative comment with lack of support?

I'm a season ticket holder and I have only missed 5 home games in 6 years. Though I'm not a singer, I applaud and cheer the team when they give me something to applaud and cheer about. I do not and have never booed the team.

I openly admit that I'm not a fan of Johnson but while I may have little positive to say about his tenure thus far, I do support the team at matches. :disapointed2se:

In this case I was referring to "through the gate".

We are not yet achieving the 15,000 crowds that we WILL get towards the end of the season if in the same position we currently occupy. Although entirely predictable as it's always been that way, that is still a shame.

ok so if he gets us promotion..then youl say sorry?

It appears YOU'RE the one who's been dreaming up statistics! Good one week, crap the next??!! Have you not noted our results since our last defeat SEVEN games ago at Yeovil?

And don't say the performances have been crap as I doubt you attended half of those 7 games.

Crap one week, good for 4 weeks maybe?

It appears YOU'RE the one who's been dreaming up statistics! Good one week, crap the next??!! Have you not noted our results since our last defeat SEVEN games ago at Yeovil?

And don't say the performances have been crap as I doubt you attended half of those 7 games.

Crap one week, good for 4 weeks maybe?

Performances are not the same thing as results.

Performances are not the same thing as results.

I know, and I brought that to attention.

So, do you think we're THAT inconsistent - playing bad one week, good the next??

Certainly not in my opinion, most games this season have been VERY tight affairs. We haven't lost by more than one goal and have rarely won by more than one goal.

Tight division with no outstanding teams, in my opinion our performances have not fluctuated much at all.

Firstly, on the expectations that Arny and others have talked about.

Got a phone call from a bloke I used to work with.

This bloke hasn't missed a game for home or away, for ten years,Cup, League, Pre-Season Friendly- you name it, if it starts at 3pm he's there at 2pm waiting.Proper bloke, been there, seen it and done it.

Anyway he tells me about the game he's seen and how crap his team were.Boring, Negative etc, etc, etc.

All the stuff you hear on here.

His club?

CHELSEA.

Now, if they've got moaners..........it's all about expectations.

To me, this show's it's not a Footballing issue - this downbeat attitude towards one performance in one particular game - it's a personality/character trait.

What a scurge on Mankind negativety is, well it doesn't do my mood much good anyway.

I know, and I brought that to attention.

So, do you think we're THAT inconsistent - playing bad one week, good the next??

I've seen us go from good to bad within a half-That's what inconsistency is.

Certainly not in my opinion, most games this season have been VERY tight affairs. We haven't lost by more than one goal and have rarely won by more than one

goal.

Tight division with no outstanding teams, in my opinion our performances have not fluctuated much at all.

We lost by two goals to Blackpool and we were appalling that day.Putting that to one side, as a one off, I think our performance level, particularly away, has left a lot to be desired.So have our away results in comparison with others or even by our own possible, not always delivered, standard.

You are correct when you say many games could have gone one way or the other, in fact there are very few that couldn't.Some that couldn't were Tranmere & Yeovil away when we were awful,particularly in the final third, all day.

Bradford & Huddsfld, away where we were unlucky not to get a point, although we didn't play well for an extended period in either game. One might say our performance level was highly inconsistent throughout those four defeats.In the Forest game we went from poor to good between the first half and the second in which we battered Forest yet seriously tested the keeper only once.

In the final analysis, if our perfrmance level is high and we maintain that, we will win more games than if we grind out results with a low/medium performance level and maintain that.That could well be the the difference between automatic promotion and the play offs this season.We'll see.

I hate to put a negative spin on things,

But 11 losses in 42 is hardly promotion form.

Still, I'm a GJ fan, and i think we'll get there. Just.

The top 3 in the Championship have lost 5,7 and 5 games this season alone already this season. It's not how few games you lose that gets promotion , it's the number of games you win, and only Forest have won more game than us this season. A defeat is a draw lost, whereas a victory is a draw won. In defeat you lose the 1 point you would have had for a draw, whereas a win gains you 2 points compared to the 1 point you would have had for the draw ( sorry if that sounds a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time!). If we have the ability to turn draws into wins then we can carry more defeats than our opponents.

Doncaster have lost less games than us but are 7 points behind us because they haven't won as many games as we have and scunny have lost 2 games less but are only 2 points ahead, not 6, because they have still only won the same number of games as we have. At the end of the season the figure that counts towards promotion is points, not the number of defeats.

Archived