IGNORED

Ian M

It's called play-off form, and it's what we did under Wilson. It took him four years of that to get fired and Johnson won't get that long.

We need to take a step beyond it, promotion is the only goal.

Having said that, given the difficulties at the club over that period of time it's not unreasonable to think that in 2007, with a couple of signings and a much more settled side, we can make that step.

...it still amazes me that some supporters constantly dream up new statistics in an effort to convince themselves of the basis for their undying loyalty to the manager

:whistle2:;)

My reasons for being reticent about Johnson are many, but the prime one is that of the consistency of the team. It's not just being good one week and crap the next, we can do it either side of half time!

I'll even throw in that, IMO, his squad is not the strongest or most talented we've had in this division. He's done nothing, so far, that ANY competent, run-of-the-mill manager could've done and he's certainly not the Messiah, that a lot of brown-nosers on this forum seem to think he is.

###### me, imagine using RESULTS to justify faith in a manager? whatever next?

he's done nothing so far that any run-of-the-mill manager? this time last year we were nearly bottom and had just had 4 players arrested for fighting in clubs. Our continuing success must be really really annoying to people like ou, SimplyRed. Maybe that's why you don't post so much anymore.... :whistle2:

If we beat Millbrawl and Cheltenham then we'll have 43 points at the halfway stage.

As a guide, if we ended up doubling that tally or going even better, then I'd suggest that 86+ points will be good enough for automatic promotion this season.

Or, put it like this, if we have as good a second half of the season as we did as last season under GJ we will gain automatic promotion.

Due to The 4 hour round trip to get to the gate, plus a wife, 4 young kids and a dog left at home I have gone from a season ticket holder to catching the odd game and seeing the highlights on the telly and on this site.

However IMHO: GJ will be judged by the board on a number of fronts, but mostly on the cash front.

At present we are close to the top, but the attendance is relatively poor, this is not rocket sience, because most of the games I have watched have been poor viewing, even when we have won. I am not minded to risk the wrath of my wife by going to more.

There is no single player I would "pay or dump the family to watch" the closest for me is seeing Murray still when he shows those flashes of brilliance he used to have most games.

GJ will not get the time Wilson had, because his team are worse to watch, but he is gambling that if he gets promo then the extra money that will bring will counter balance the poorer crowds and loss of cash his boringish footy and lack of "stars" brings.

He probably is already seen as being careful with the cash by dumping the big earners and wheeling and dealing more then paying out for a name.

But he must either entertain us more and get the crowds up, winning helps, but watching your team sit back and defend 1 nil leads are not that great.... or get promo and then the extra cash and crowds should come naturally.

The top 3 in the Championship have lost 5,7 and 5 games this season alone already this season. It's not how few games you lose that gets promotion , it's the number of games you win, and only Forest have won more game than us this season. A defeat is a draw lost, whereas a victory is a draw won. In defeat you lose the 1 point you would have had for a draw, whereas a win gains you 2 points compared to the 1 point you would have had for the draw ( sorry if that sounds a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time!). If we have the ability to turn draws into wins then we can carry more defeats than our opponents.

Doncaster have lost less games than us but are 7 points behind us because they haven't won as many games as we have and scunny have lost 2 games less but are only 2 points ahead, not 6, because they have still only won the same number of games as we have. At the end of the season the figure that counts towards promotion is points, not the number of defeats.

So, to paraphrase, Wins are the most important.

If we beat Millbrawl and Cheltenham then we'll have 43 points at the halfway stage.

As a guide, if we ended up doubling that tally or going even better, then I'd suggest that 86+ points will be good enough for automatic promotion this season.

Or, put it like this, if we have as good a second half of the season as we did as last season under GJ we will gain automatic promotion.

I hope you're right and that the Worlds biggest word "IF" comes true.

###### me, imagine using RESULTS to justify faith in a manager? whatever next?

he's done nothing so far that any run-of-the-mill manager? this time last year we were nearly bottom and had just had 4 players arrested for fighting in clubs.

That's why the bloke in charge before GJ, got fired........the form not the fighting and in fairness to BT he was attempting to sort out the culture, hence the exit of TD & DC.Obviously not judged run of the mill, enough!!

Our continuing success

Sorry I don't think we've been succesful if success is judged in terms of an end result-that is winning something like promotion or a cup.As I said GJ has got us travelling the right direction but the journey needs to end at the right destination in May.I hope it does.It looks like it might.Like some others, I'm not convinced and I'm particularly concerned about our away form.Unlike some others, I will give the bloke a chance and speak as I find-good or bad.

BB - i deem "continuing success" as defined by current league and cup position, vs. tools available, vs. clubs record in improving the tools available. Hell, there might even be an equation in there somewhere.

Saying "we have no success until we've won something" is a cop out. and just allows moaning old men an excuse to - well - just keep on moaning.

poor away form? maybe - but what about next to unbeatable home form?

not too impressive up front? fine - but whilst less glamorous our defensive squad is the best i've ever seen in 16 years of going down the gate, bar none.

crap on the wings? yep - but better in the middle.

all of these arguments are irrelevant without promotion, i sort of agree, but as the league finishes in May i say lets look to 3rd place with the injury and trauma hit year we've had, and deem it rightfully as "success".

The top 3 in the Championship have lost 5,7 and 5 games this season alone already this season. It's not how few games you lose that gets promotion , it's the number of games you win, and only Forest have won more game than us this season. A defeat is a draw lost, whereas a victory is a draw won. In defeat you lose the 1 point you would have had for a draw, whereas a win gains you 2 points compared to the 1 point you would have had for the draw ( sorry if that sounds a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time!). If we have the ability to turn draws into wins then we can carry more defeats than our opponents.

Doncaster have lost less games than us but are 7 points behind us because they haven't won as many games as we have and scunny have lost 2 games less but are only 2 points ahead, not 6, because they have still only won the same number of games as we have. At the end of the season the figure that counts towards promotion is points, not the number of defeats.

Ice cream headache, anyone??

• Admin
After a comment by another poster recently I've had a look at our record in 2006 under GJ (League Matches) and it's as follows:

Pld42 W22 D9 L11 F63 A38 Pts75 (+25GD)

Conveniently we have 4 games remaining in 2006 and a return of 8 points would equal our best "seasonal" haul since relegation. It's not inconceivable that we will win all 4 giving an annual aggregate of 87 points.

Obviously nothing is achieved with annual points returns but given how well we have done this year under Johnson it still amazes me that so many supporters still peddle the line "the jury is still out"....

Updated to:

Pld43 W23 D9 L11 F64 A38 Pts78 (+26GD)

BB - i deem "continuing success" as defined by current league and cup position, vs. tools available, vs. clubs record in improving the tools available. Hell, there might even be an equation in there somewhere.

Semantics I know, however, I would call that improvement

Saying "we have no success until we've won something" is a cop out. and just allows moaning old men an excuse to - well - just keep on moaning.

I also said it was relative to status and a club of our status/size/calibre-call it what you will, should expect to do well-that is,get promoted from this division.

poor away form? maybe - but what about next to unbeatable home form?

I'll judge that at the end of the season when we've played Forest, Tranmere, Yeovil & Swansea at home and, in fairness, some of the lower teams away.

not too impressive up front? fine - but whilst less glamorous our defensive squad is the best i've ever seen in 16 years of going down the gate, bar none.

In terms of that back four, it is our best feature currently, but it's far from the best I've seen and not even the best I've seen at this level.

crap on the wings? yep - but better in the middle.

Improvement is needed in both areas and the fact that our central midfield NEVER scores must be addressed.As you say we are very average at best in the wide areas

all of these arguments are irrelevant without promotion, i sort of agree, but as the league finishes in May i say lets look to 3rd place with the injury and trauma hit year we've had, and deem it rightfully as "success".

So far, so good, mate!!

Archived