IGNORED

Player Of The Season

Bristol Boy

And can I interrupt this thread to mention that plenty, along with me, said that each player should be given a chance, not prejudged by his name or previous club. Hopefully its convinced a few more doubters or moaners for the sake of it people.

Believe it or not that was what I meant, mulled wine or no mulled wine!

I'll admit that I've either been excited by a new player arriving in the past, who's name was 'known' and been let down. And I'm not just referring to You-Know-Who as there have been a few others over the years. Or a player has arrived and I've thought he'll struggle to get into the team because of another already playing well and been proved more than wrong. Who would have thought Mccombe would be playing in preference to Fontaine after the way Fontaine played late last season?

I agree GJ hasn't won anything yet, there is a long way to go, but I applaud him for taking time to bring the right player to the club for the good of the squad.

The reason behind my asking was two fold.

Number one, it's strange, given our place in the table and progress in the cups, that when you take all of the replies I had Friday,yesterday and on this thread, that only ONE of the serious votes was for a forward........and he's missed about a third of our games.In previous seasons I'm sure a forward-Bob Taylor, Sean Goater or a midfielder like Tinman, Gary Shelton would have got at least a mention and, in truth, a considerable number of votes

No 2 This time it would appear........and I appreciate this is not scientific, that WE ALMOST ALL AGREE...A first in itself, :D that it's our defensive capability that's our biggest plus.

It would also suggest that we all consider that we need to improve in the midfield and forward areas and that will probably mean 2/3 signings.

Believe it or not that was what I meant, mulled wine or no mulled wine!

I'll admit that I've either been excited by a new player arriving in the past, who's name was 'known' and been let down. And I'm not just referring to You-Know-Who as there have been a few others over the years. Or a player has arrived and I've thought he'll struggle to get into the team because of another already playing well and been proved more than wrong. Who would have thought Mccombe would be playing in preference to Fontaine after the way Fontaine played late last season?

I agree GJ hasn't won anything yet, there is a long way to go, but I applaud him for taking time to bring the right player to the club for the good of the squad.

Great reply and spot on..............May 1st before I'm convinced

The reason behind my asking was two fold.

Number one, it's strange, given our place in the table and progress in the cups, that when you take all of the replies I had Friday,yesterday and on this thread, that only ONE of the serious votes was for a forward........and he's missed about a third of our games.In previous seasons I'm sure a forward-Bob Taylor, Sean Goater or a midfielder like Tinman, Gary Shelton would have got at least a mention and, in truth, a considerable number of votes

No 2 This time it would appear........and I appreciate this is not scientific, that WE ALMOST ALL AGREE...A first in itself, :D that it's our defensive capability that's our biggest plus.

It would also suggest that we all consider that we need to improve in the midfield and forward areas and that will probably mean 2/3 signings.

I think if you look at the fact that 7 out of the top 10 sides have scored more than us and we've let in the joint third most it suggests that its been a funny old season so far. I look at it as to who we would need to replace in our, say, 20 man squad if we went up.

Think our squad would need a new right back, right winger, left winger, striker and central midfielder instead of Orr, Murray, Russell and Partridge.

I think if you look at the fact that 7 out of the top 10 sides have scored more than us and we've let in the joint third most it suggests that its been a funny old season so far. I look at it as to who we would need to replace in our, say, 20 man squad if we went up.

Think our squad would need a new right back, right winger, left winger, striker and central midfielder instead of Orr, Murray, Russell and Partridge.

Be interesting to look at the defensive stats since McCombe & McAllister came in to the starting line up.Our defence wasn't great at the start of the season.

By the end of the season we'll all be voting for Brooker, providing he's given time. Or rather, providing he's NOT given time (again) :innocent06:

As i said before earlier in this thread lets all try having a bit of faith in him shall we?

I think the point that I eluded to earlier, in that our front six still have a huge point to prove in the second half of the season, has been further borne out in subsequent replies.

Simply put:

Brooker back, fit & firing.

Jevo on form.

ES fit & firing.

The midfield to find it's shooting & creative boots.

And another striker and a left winger

Do that and perhaps the end of season vote will look a bit different.........having said that, our defenders need to keep doing it and the competition in the squad will hopefully ensure that and they've all got a head start on the front six.

:city::city::city::xmas::xmas:

Most improved player - Scott Murray. Back to something close to his old form but legs slowing down a bit now.

Player of the season McCombe or Basso. I think the award should go to the player who helps the team most to win or draw games and that would preclude McAllister. Hard to argue that he's kept us in more games than the first mentioned pair.

Archived