IGNORED

Surcharge On Away Fans?

Not sure if any one caught a item on Twentyman talks back

Alledgly Torquay are levelling a charge on all fans (including the away fans) of two pounds per fan.To pay for police costs

If you put this into context for us city fans

how many matches at ashton have you seen a police presence in the ground

Swindon was the only game I can recall which had a police presence.

QPR and plymouth should have a police presence in the ground

Me gets a funny smell about this one.

I'm always suspiscious of a Police cartel. Clubs pay for Police inside the ground which is why they all use Stewards at a fraction of the cost. However, to meet the requirements of the Safety Certificate (without which the ground cannot be used) you must have a Police presence there. Guess what, it's the Police who decide how many of their officers you MUST have for each game.

Policing outside the ground is covered in their annual budget, paid for by Council Tax payers. There was that suggestion last year from some Chief Constables that clubs pay for the Police presence up to a mile around the ground since the officers wouldn't normally be there at that time. Worryingly, this was only suggested for football clubs, not any other event.

Brainwave, for those games likely to attract large crowds and therefore need a large Police presence, we announce it is not a football match but Bristol City v Plymouth Argyle kite festival and it can be a traction engine rally for QPR's visit!

Archived