IGNORED

The Short List

Bodiesaffer

Swansea City are one of four clubs thought to be interested in signing Newport County's highly-rated striker Matt Green.

Rivals Cardiff City are also interested along with Stoke and Bristol City, but Newport are warning any potential bidders that Green won't be allowed to leave on the cheap.

Newport manager Peter Beadle has confirmed the interest that Green is receiving and said: "Four clubs have asked about Matt"

"He is keen to become a full-time professional footballer and we want to help him, but he will not be sold on the cheap."

with the transfer window about to open who do you think is on gj list?

No one!!, :shutup:

GJ is very happy with all of the current squad, especially his son, and feels there is no need to strengthen the team, as we will finish runners up to Forest, come the end of the season!!. ( unable to find a pigs will fly emoticon!).

:farmer:

If we're going to seriously pursue someone I'd hope it would be someone that we'd be planning to have good use for in the championship as well, rather than a League Two star turned League One useful turned Championship dud like half the names being thrown around :). If We're serious about being useful in League One, we've got the team already. No use signing someone at this stage that is just going to mope around on the bench and make 4 appearances

Anyhow, I'd like to see a left winger, centre midfielder (Tommy Doc mould) and a striker. All complete with a wealth of quality and experience :xmas:

PS. Drop Lee Johnson and bring in Skuse. Gary, you know you want to!

So you would prefer to drop johnson, rather than russell? i'd prefer skuse to play rather than russell.

So you would prefer to drop johnson, rather than russell? i'd prefer skuse to play rather than russell.

To be honest yea. I'd like to see either Skuse or Noble play alongside Russell. See how that works.

Its not like GJ has shuffled the midfield enough this season allready. As long as he faces his fears and drops his son we could see how we get on.

Sean Thomas is first on his list. Young goalkeeper from Qpr.

The list isn't very long, "one, possibly two" signings according to his interview on Radio Bristol.

Any signings unlikely to be before the end of January.

Not enough in my opinion. :disapointed2se:

The list isn't very long, "one, possibly two" signings according to his interview on Radio Bristol.

Any signings unlikely to be before the end of January.

Not enough in my opinion. :disapointed2se:

I agree we don't have a Championship standard midfield or strike force on current form

Anyhow, I'd like to see a left winger, centre midfielder (Tommy Doc mould) and a striker. All complete with a wealth of quality and experience :xmas:

PS. Drop Lee Johnson and bring in Skuse. Gary, you know you want to!

aha, I knew he'd get a mention somewhere... no Bristol City 'SHORTLIST' would be complete if L J wasnt on it! ;)

(ps.. for the oldies out there, we need a 'Bobby Kellard' in the middle & a 'Gerry Sharpe' on the wing.. )

I'm hoping the following names are on the shortlist...

Hoskins

Hawley

Fleetwood

Maynard

Some ideas for left footed players that might be worth a look:

Whittingham - Villa - in the last year of his contract and barely gets a look in - how about a loan til season's end?

Anderson - Liverpool - highly rated left winger formerly of Hull, might be allowed out on loan?

Demontagnac - Walsall - England u-19s left winger, did have a problem with red cards last season but seems to have fixed that.

Leven - Kilmarnock - left footed, can play left back, left wing or centrally and out of contract end of this season.

I'm hoping the following names are on the shortlist...

Hoskins

Hawley

Fleetwood

Maynard

Some ideas for left footed players that might be worth a look:

Whittingham - Villa - in the last year of his contract and barely gets a look in - how about a loan til season's end?

Anderson - Liverpool - highly rated left winger formerly of Hull, might be allowed out on loan?

Demontagnac - Walsall - England u-19s left winger, did have a problem with red cards last season but seems to have fixed that.

Leven - Kilmarnock - left footed, can play left back, left wing or centrally and out of contract end of this season.

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Good shout Nibor, just the type of players we should be scouting, although cant see Whittigham dropping 2 divs, Eng u21 reg and must be on big money

We need to stump up a bit of cash, Keigan Parker (Blackpool) has a good goalscoring record, and his contract is up at the end of the season, as is Luke Varney of Crewe who have always been a selling club. I would hope GJ looks at these two if not as mentioned above Hawley/Hoskins/Maynard should be targets

The only problem with over half these names mentioned, is that the players' clubs are not likely to let them sign for a team in their division. Especially when most have been linked with moves to the championship anyway. The names mentioned, especially by Nibor, would all be great additions no question, but i find it hard to believe the clubs would let City near them, and even then, we will be competing with clubs in the championship and because we are not walking this league, then players will move to a higher level rather than take the risk that city will not go up this year.

Don't get me wrong i would love to see the likes of Hoskins and Parker , i jst find it hard to see them coming to City at this moment in time.

Most of the names mentioned such as Hoskins and Maynard are surely unrealistic targets?

I'm going to make an interesting prediction - James Hayter.

I hope we're not after Hayter. He doesn't offer anything we don't already have - another clever player who's not that quick and not that strong. What's the difference between him and Jevons?

I agree Maynard might be hard to get though I think all the scouts are actually after Varney, why do you think they're unrealistic though?

Hoskins is not only out of contract this season he's refused to sign a new one - Maynard is out of contract soon too.

Both are likely to be earning less than a grand a week now considering that they're both on their first pro contracts at smaller clubs.

Hoskins would probably be buyable for £3-400k, Rotherham aren't in a position to let him go for a tribunal fee at the end of the season. Maynard might be allowed to leave for a similar fee though it could be higher if some other clubs bid.

I firmly believe we should be looking to sign the best young talent in this division rather than players who have already shown they lack the ability to go beyond it. We're one of the best clubs, we get big crowds, we're at the right end of the table with a great team spirit and a well respected manager - it shouldn't be hard to sell that. Even if Championship clubs do come in, if you don't try you don't get and we can compete with some of them financially and Bristol is a great place to live.

The only problem with over half these names mentioned, is that the players' clubs are not likely to let them sign for a team in their division. Especially when most have been linked with moves to the championship anyway. The names mentioned, especially by Nibor, would all be great additions no question, but i find it hard to believe the clubs would let City near them, and even then, we will be competing with clubs in the championship and because we are not walking this league, then players will move to a higher level rather than take the risk that city will not go up this year.

Don't get me wrong i would love to see the likes of Hoskins and Parker , i jst find it hard to see them coming to City at this moment in time.

This championship clubs thing is just rumour and speculation - not one of them has made an offer and there's a vast difference between talk and cold hard cash on the table.

Apparently Wolves are after Sharp, Keogh, Constantine, Hoskins, Varney and Maynard. Now do you think that's likely or do you think that the player's agents might be putting a few rumours about to bring real offers out of the woodwork?

Besides, who in their right mind wants to live in Wolverhampton? :)

Archived