IGNORED

The Short List

Bodiesaffer

I agree Bristol is one of the nicest places to live and would much rather live here than Wolverhampton. And we do have the money to compete with higher clubs, but players agents will try and sway the minds. The higher level they play at the more likely they will move even higher and therefore NORMALLY, the higher you go the more money!!!

And although, you've correctly, well i hope, ruled out the Wolves bid for all these players, what about the other clubs in that league? And I'm still sure that clubs will be incredibly reluctant to let their best players leave, for a divisional rival. And despite only being three points off top of the league, we are fourth and therefore clubs will not want to let their players leave to a team who they could be playing against in the playoffs.

I agree Bristol is one of the nicest places to live and would much rather live here than Wolverhampton. And we do have the money to compete with higher clubs, but players agents will try and sway the minds. The higher level they play at the more likely they will move even higher and therefore NORMALLY, the higher you go the more money!!!

And although, you've correctly, well i hope, ruled out the Wolves bid for all these players, what about the other clubs in that league? And I'm still sure that clubs will be incredibly reluctant to let their best players leave, for a divisional rival. And despite only being three points off top of the league, we are fourth and therefore clubs will not want to let their players leave to a team who they could be playing against in the playoffs.

Well, I think you have to ignore what other clubs are after the players to start with.

First job is to get the club to accept a bid. That's hard enough and probably takes longer than negotiating with the player. If we can get Rotherham to accept an offer for Hoskins then smashing, step two, talk to the player and convince him that City would be a good move. We've got many selling points and a lot to offer, not least the chance to play alongside Brooker in front of 11,000 for 3 times your present salary for a successful manager living in the country's most vibrant City.

We might find you're competing against other clubs at this point - we've just got to do a sales job and give the player every reason we can to choose us. Equally you might find that noone else actually made a hard offer, and you're quids in.

As for the selling to rivals thing, well that's usually dealt with by a "can't play against us" clause - and let's be honest Rotherham have no illusions of playoffs this season and I doubt Crewe are honestly expecting to be in the mix either.

The main point I'm making though is that we shouldn't give a toss about what other clubs are rumoured to be interested. We should have an ordered list of players we want and start at the top and go after them with everything we can. If we lose out to someone else, so be it... move on to the next one. I'd be happy with that. What I wouldn't be happy with is another 30 day failed pursuit of players like Hayter and Reddy who aren't going to go up in value, and IMO don't add much we haven't already got and won't make it at the next level. I just hope the players at the top of our list are ones like Hoskins.

Well, I think you have to ignore what other clubs are after the players to start with.

First job is to get the club to accept a bid. That's hard enough and probably takes longer than negotiating with the player. If we can get Rotherham to accept an offer for Hoskins then smashing, step two, talk to the player and convince him that City would be a good move. We've got many selling points and a lot to offer, not least the chance to play alongside Brooker in front of 11,000 for 3 times your present salary for a successful manager living in the country's most vibrant City.

We might find you're competing against other clubs at this point - we've just got to do a sales job and give the player every reason we can to choose us. Equally you might find that noone else actually made a hard offer, and you're quids in.

As for the selling to rivals thing, well that's usually dealt with by a "can't play against us" clause - and let's be honest Rotherham have no illusions of playoffs this season and I doubt Crewe are honestly expecting to be in the mix either.

The main point I'm making though is that we shouldn't give a toss about what other clubs are rumoured to be interested. We should have an ordered list of players we want and start at the top and go after them with everything we can. If we lose out to someone else, so be it... move on to the next one. I'd be happy with that. What I wouldn't be happy with is another 30 day failed pursuit of players like Hayter and Reddy who aren't going to go up in value, and IMO don't add much we haven't already got and won't make it at the next level. I just hope the players at the top of our list are ones like Hoskins.

This may sound like contradicting myself but i agree 100% in that. Spot on!

Archived