IGNORED

Just Back From Orient

KnowleUtd City

Not a bad point overall, as usual the back four were quality, Skuse had a good game in the middle and hardly put a foot wrong, Johnson played some good football and scored a great goal, If only City had some quality up front today we would have won the game, neither Enoch or Jevons held the ball up at all today. Jevons has got a good football brain but is so lightweight at times it's unbelievable! Fair play to the number of City that travelled, there was a good following considering hangovers and the distance. Hopefully City will gamble now in the transfer market and give the squad, the fans, and everyone else the boost that is needed!

Can you tell me if there is any truth in the rumours that GJ was having a bit of a go at the away fans for getting on Lee Johnsons back. I wasnt at the game but heard he was telling them to give it a rest.

yes this is true when we scored he turned round and give it the gesture of yeah youve all had your say and i told u he could do it. A few angry fans no less

Didnt see it myself, but i was quite far away, it's a shame that some people having been getting on Lee Johnson's back, anyone who's been watching City for any length of time knows we have had loads of worse players, for me he is a quality player and is capable of producing match winning passes, he needs to find full form and be playing alongside someone who is a big tackler. The reason he is getting stick is because he is the managers son.

Didnt see it myself, but i was quite far away, it's a shame that some people having been getting on Lee Johnson's back, anyone who's been watching City for any length of time knows we have had loads of worse players, for me he is a quality player and is capable of producing match winning passes, he needs to find full form and be playing alongside someone who is a big tackler. The reason he is getting stick is because he is the managers son.

Yeah i agree with that 100% iv backed him since day one and i think he has had a couple bad games but hes still a quality player and he can only get better.

can't blame Gary or Lee for getting fed up with the stick and responding to be honest, the amount of stick johnson jnr has been getting lately despite playing well has been a joke,

if it hadn't been for who he was the stick wouldn't be there as the lad is playing well, it's a joke, people give him abuse for no good reason, then moan because they have got stick back.

think some people need to pull their heads out of their behinds, if your going to moan about someone don't be soo bloody biased!

johnson has been playing well since he settled into the team with the odd off game.

I agree that lee johnson is a quality player, But i just feel that over the last three games he has seriously loss his form. Therefore i feel a new midfielder should be playing just to give him a few games out. i really do feel lee as been one of the worse players on the field over christmas.

Can you tell me if there is any truth in the rumours that GJ was having a bit of a go at the away fans for getting on Lee Johnsons back. I wasnt at the game but heard he was telling them to give it a rest.

The reaction I saw was when he shook his head at some sarcastic cheering when LJ was substituted for Noble who, ala Bmth, had been set to replace him before he scored.My ratings will be on the ST soon and I've explained it a bit further on there.

Skuse had a good game in the middle and hardly put a foot wrong,

He hardly put a foot right. As a central midfielder he should be able to influence the game, I can't really remember him doing anything with the ball, and this was against a fairly poor Leyton side. Alex Russell has a lot more presence on the pitch than Skuse.

I would have said it was not a bad point, if we hadn't dropped the points against Cheltenham and Bournemouth. But the same shortcomings from the attack players was what cost us the win again. We created chances, but lacked the killer instinct. On reflection it was two points dropped.

Isnt it fascinating (and no i really aint taking the pee it really does fascinate me) how we can all watch the same game, but have such different views on players. Such as the recent opinions on people like Skuse (who I think has done a great job out of position recently) and Johnson. (who could do better in my opinion)

There are wildly differing views on players despite the fact we've all seen the same 90 minutes, allbeit from different positions in the stadium.

It does interest me it really does.

He hardly put a foot right. As a central midfielder he should be able to influence the game, I can't really remember him doing anything with the ball, and this was against a fairly poor Leyton side. Alex Russell has a lot more presence on the pitch than Skuse.

I would have said it was not a bad point, if we hadn't dropped the points against Cheltenham and Bournemouth. But the same shortcomings from the attack players was what cost us the win again. We created chances, but lacked the killer instinct. On reflection it was two points dropped.

I can't remember many of those chances we created.Six points from twelve with three games against the clubs in the bottom six is poor.

Isnt it fascinating (and no i really aint taking the pee it really does fascinate me) how we can all watch the same game, but have such different views on players. Such as the recent opinions on people like Skuse (who I think has done a great job out of position recently) and Johnson. (who could do better in my opinion)

There are wildly differing views on players despite the fact we've all seen the same 90 minutes, allbeit from different positions in the stadium.

It does interest me it really does.

Skuse hasn't done well, IMHO and I wouldn't expect him to, being played out of position.I agree about LJ.I think some people start out disliking a player and that colours their opinion unless, of course he does something exceptional

Didn't see todays game so can't comment, but Little Lee was average at best against Port Vale and until the pass ( which was his 1st contribution ) in the 63rd minute in the Bournmouth game was just a spectator. He ( LJ ) knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed for his DADS team, nepotism was always going to come into question. I've only seen 6 or 7 games LJ has played in and IMO is an OK midfielder and no more, his passing is not bad, not a great tackler, his free-kicks are average and what annoys me is he trys to many 1 touch flicks that never get to the City player it's intended for. Overall he's 60% the player Tinman was. City have 5 players that can play CM and IMHO there's not much to choose between Little Lee,Skuse,Russell,Noble And Scotty Brown. They're all capable without being fantastic.

After today I still think our midfield is lightweight and does not produce ENOUGH quality. You could count the number of tackles they won one on one hand and we have too many players who shirk a tackle at the moment (you would need fingers and toes to count those). The goal was a good move and finish and showed what we are capable of. Orr was the only player today who really seemed to mean it and want it whenever he went in for some physical contact. And he was the only player I could see who was trying to get a few others going.

Today was a strange one though. We were playing against twelve players (the referee was the worst I have seen in a long long while), went a goal down to a dubious penalty, equalised with a good move and could have snatched the game at the end. Somehow though I felt slightly deflated as three points were there for the taking in my opinion. We need some guts in midfield, something decent wide left and a pacy forward up the front.

The positives - the football we tried to play overall was far better than anything we have seen at the Gate for weeks. Scott Brown and David Noble easing their way back (one chipped pass by Noble was fantastic). Orr's game overall despite one or two errors. If we get the three players I referred to above I feel this league is there for the taking.

The negatives - the result overall. Players "bottling" 50/50 tackles - to me that is criminal as we as supporters do not shirk our responsibilities when paying good money and sacrificing family time to get to these matches. Underperforming midfield who show occasional glimpses of quality. Lack of punch up front. If we don't get the three players needed then Automatic Promotion will be difficult to attain.

Didn't see todays game so can't comment, but Little Lee was average at best against Port Vale and until the pass ( which was his 1st contribution ) in the 63rd minute in the Bournmouth game was just a spectator. He ( LJ ) knew what he was letting himself in for when he signed for his DADS team, nepotism was always going to come into question. I've only seen 6 or 7 games LJ has played in and IMO is an OK midfielder and no more, his passing is not bad, not a great tackler, his free-kicks are average and what annoys me is he trys to many 1 touch flicks that never get to the City player it's intended for. Overall he's 60% the player Tinman was. City have 5 players that can play CM and IMHO there's not much to choose between Little Lee,Skuse,Russell,Noble And Scotty Brown. They're all capable without being fantastic.

i'd agree with that although lee is trying to be a tinnion and tommy doc all in one go and he can't do it,

he needs to be given a tinnion style free role and get someone in who can take the midfield by the balls

and stop the opposition play making along side him or if were playing with skuse out wide

johnson should have a go in that role.

What I've described as much of a muchness and, if we have any money left over from buying a left winger & a striker can we please buy a Tinnion style midfielder.........as I suggested about two months ago? :whistle2:

I can't remember many of those chances we created.Six points from twelve with three games against the clubs in the bottom six is poor.

We do create chances BB but without getting in shots. Strange statement you may think but what I mean is that there were at least three occasions today where basic forward play you are taught at schoolboy level (i.e. one man goes near post, one goes far stick and midfield runners attack the middle) would have resulted in three easy tap-ins for somebody. I am amazed we don't do it because it is so basic.

i'd agree with that although lee is trying to be a tinnion and tommy doc all in one go and he can't do it,

he needs to be given a tinnion style free role and get someone in who can take the midfield by the balls

and stop the opposition play making along side him or if were playing with skuse out wide

johnson should have a go in that role.

The only way that LJ will be outstanding is if we play two more "holding" midfielders, say Noble & Skuse and then play him in a more attacking role.In a 4-4-2 that can't happen.

I didnt see Johnson make a gesture with his hands but that was because we were celebrating and therefore didnt look at Johnson. I don't blame him though and i think the sarcastic cheering when Lee came off was ridiculous because he played quite well today and scored a goal. I do think we need a Tommy Doc(in his prime) style central midfielder to play alongside johnson because Orient were going right through the centre of us today!

Just after halftime some guy behing me shouted to GJ that Jennison was the worst player on the pitch and to haul him off and GJ replied "i pick the team". I personally thought that Jennison was our best player in the 1st half and got involved and stuck ijn alot more today than he has in previous games!People were also getting on Jevons back and giving him real stick whick just isnt needed. I admit the guy is a lightweight but he is a good player and does do his fair share throughout the game! We need to get behind the players and help them onto to promotion!!!

COME ON YOU REDDDDSSS

The only way that LJ will be outstanding is if we play two more "holding" midfielders, say Noble & Skuse and then play him in a more attacking role.In a 4-4-2 that can't happen.

i was thinking along the lines of when tinnion played out wide and let his passing

do the work, but then we'd need a mickey bell type full back.

Was sat a few yards from the bench where GJ was. Did not here any here anyone giving LJ any stick when he went off or GJ having a go at the fans. Must say though that IMO LJ was once again totally lightweight today, hardly winning a decent tackle and no telling passes I can recall. Did however score just before GJ was about to replace him with Noble which delayed the substitution. Had he been replaced then might well of had a bit of justified stick.

The thing what wound me up was Noble was our best midfielder, then LJ arrived. Noble was then dropped as they "couldn't" play in the same team and LJ has started every game and has only been subbed once and that was today. LJ has lost his form lately and needs to be dropped but his daddy won't do it. We only have one player who isn't affraid of challenges in the middle of the park and that is Scott Brown. Get Tommy D back to sort the ponces out !

Today. I can remember A header from Murray that he should have done better with, a shot from Myrie Williams that he scuffed when he had the whole of the goal to aim at, Johnsons cross come shot that went past the face of the goal, there was nobody there to get on the end of the cross. There was another chance in the second half for McCombe that I thought was going to put us 2-1 up but ended up having a defender getting a touch on it. There were probably more today.

I can't remember Skuse creating any of our chances, the same can't be said for Johnson, Williams and Murray. As for whoever said that Showumni and Jevons couldn't hold up the ball I have to disagree, I thought their presence was good and they held onto the ball well enough. I just can't remember them doing anything when the got into the box.

Against Port Vale there were a couple of chances that spring to mind. Brooker had a good chance with his header that he put just wide when he could have got it on target.

Against Bournemouth we had about three or four good chances. I can't comment on the Cheltenham game becasue I wasn't there.

I would have to say that we created enough chances in both the Bournemouth and Leyton games to have taken the wins, but we just lacked the ability to convert enough of our chances. We have been punished for not taking these chances. Against Port Vale we had played well enough to be in-front when they scored but managed to pull ourselves through that one. Unfortunately we have not converted our chances.

I didnt see Johnson make a gesture with his hands but that was because we were celebrating and therefore didnt look at Johnson. I don't blame him though and i think the sarcastic cheering when Lee came off was ridiculous because he played quite well today and scored a goal. I do think we need a Tommy Doc(in his prime) style central midfielder to play alongside johnson because Orient were going right through the centre of us today!

Just after halftime some guy behing me shouted to GJ that Jennison was the worst player on the pitch and to haul him off and GJ replied "i pick the team". I personally thought that Jennison was our best player in the 1st half and got involved and stuck ijn alot more today than he has in previous games!People were also getting on Jevons back and giving him real stick whick just isnt needed. I admit the guy is a lightweight but he is a good player and does do his fair share throughout the game! We need to get behind the players and help them onto to promotion!!!

COME ON YOU REDDDDSSS

I did see Johnson make a gesture, and I don't blame him i'm sure he would have done the same if it had been Jevons that had scored! Why do some fans find is neccessary to be negative about certain players.. I thought Jennison had a great game, the best i've seen him paly so far. He was communicating with everyone and listening to what people were telling him. Also thought Johnson had a good game, some people just expect more because he is the managers son, but this should make no difference! Jevons wasn't great today, but he also wasn't bad! Let's just get behind the team support, and encourage them, beacuse we all want the same thing come may!!

COME ON CITY!!!!

Why the hell is Johnson getting involved with gesturing to supporters? This is a game he simply cannot win. The best thing he can do is manage to the best of his ability, keep his thoughts on supporters comments to himself, grit his teeth and just think about the £5K or whatever it is he is drawing at the end of the week. I fully appreciate it is hard when it is your son on the receiving end of the stick but he knew the drill when he signed him again and as a professional manager earning good money he simply has to act professional and ignore the comments.

I had a minor "discussion" with him earlier in the season but this was instigated by myself and was not carried out in a manner where hundreds of fans would see or read anything into his emotions so no harm done. Fighting supporters publicly with gestures, shakes of the head or "I told you so" comments is a mugs game for any football manager, whatever the provocation, and Johnson himself really ought to know that. Particularly as he was reacting to comments which in the main are borne of frustration and are not particularly well thought out. By reacting he is placing himself in a lose-lose situation.

Whether he likes it or not, those supporters making the comments, however annoying for Johnson himself, also paid good money and gave their own time to come and watch the team today. People on here may feel their support is misguided but they still took the time and effort to travel regardless.

I did see Johnson make a gesture, and I don't blame him i'm sure he would have done the same if it had been Jevons that had scored! Why do some fans find is neccessary to be negative about certain players.. I thought Jennison had a great game, the best i've seen him paly so far. He was communicating with everyone and listening to what people were telling him. Also thought Johnson had a good game, some people just expect more because he is the managers son, but this should make no difference! Jevons wasn't great today, but he also wasn't bad! Let's just get behind the team support, and encourage them, beacuse we all want the same thing come may!!

COME ON CITY!!!!

I really cannot see how JMW had a great game. How many times did he beat his man out wide? How many crosses did he get in? How many times did he work the keeper? He did make a couple of decent runs through the middle to be fair but his final product was a shot with his right foot which rolled past the corner of the six yard box. He also bottled out of a few tackles. I am not saying he was appalling (although the above may give that impression) but in no way can he be described as "great" either.

Why the hell is Johnson getting involved with gesturing to supporters? This is a game he simply cannot win. The best thing he can do is manage to the best of his ability, keep his thoughts on supporters comments to himself, grit his teeth and just think about the £5K or whatever it is he is drawing at the end of the week. I fully appreciate it is hard when it is your son on the receiving end of the stick but he knew the drill when he signed him again and as a professional manager earning good money he simply has to act professional and ignore the comments.

I had a minor "discussion" with him earlier in the season but this was instigated by myself and was not carried out in a manner where hundreds of fans would see or read anything into his emotions so no harm done. Fighting supporters publicly with gestures, shakes of the head or "I told you so" comments is a mugs game for any football manager, whatever the provocation, and Johnson himself really ought to know that. Particularly as he was reacting to comments which in the main are borne of frustration and are not particularly well thought out. By reacting he is placing himself in a lose-lose situation.

Whether he likes it or not, those supporters making the comments, however annoying for Johnson himself, also paid good money and gave their own time to come and watch the team today. People on here may feel their support is misguided but they still took the time and effort to travel regardless.

Have to disagree with you on this Greebo. For starters, it's nothing to do with it being his son. It's the way GJ is, and he's done it plenty of times before when it's been players other than Johnson Jr. He sees the fans as an integral part of the 'team', believe it or not, because he knows damned well that the comments and noise, both positive and negative, directly affect how his players play, their confidence levels etc. I recall one game last season - was it Chesterfield away? - when he got into a far more direct argument with a section of fans who booed the team off, trying to get them to applaud the players off to lift their confidence, then exchanging words and hand motions when the fans refused to do it, signalling that he knew exactly what the fans thought of the players, that he shared their opinion and would be telling them in no uncertain terms in the dressing room but that he wanted the fans to encourage the players and get behind them, and leave the bollockings to him.

I would deal with your second point by suggesting that it's perfectly valid for GJ to respond to taunts or criticism from the fans. After all, as a supporter on the terrace, what is the point of shouting abuse or opinion at GJ or a player? Answer: You want them to hear it and do something about it. How, then, can you complain when he does hear and respond by signalling that he disagrees with your sentiment or even, in one case today, reminding the fans that he picks the team? It seems a bit off to expect to be able to shout abuse at a manager and his players, then get upset when he responds by replying!

From speaking to him in the past, I know GJ is genuinely aware of the effect the fans have on the players when they interact, both on and off the pitch - particularly with so many younger players in the squad. It is because of this understanding, which few other managers we've had in recent years seemed to appreciate, that he cares so much about what is said to the players. Now I'm not saying he's always right - in my opinion it's naive to think fans will be willing to clap off players who have not seemed to give their all, or to expect fans to only be positive when what they are watching my be anything but, however I understand why he wants that. And furthermore, I'm bloody glad we have a manager who is not only aware of what fans are saying, but cares about it and sees the manager/fan relationship as one that can be addressed directly rather than through bland statements mediated by Radio Bristol in post-match interviews. For starters, it might make a few people think about the effect of the abuse they shout from the stands rather than simply think it's fine to scream "Get off Jevons, you're crap" every time the bloke touches the ball, or cheer when LJ is substituted. Yes, they've paid their money, and it might be their right to express their opinion. But that doesn't make what they are saying right, and it doesn't mean the effect is positive and helps the team to win. Far from it.

Have to disagree with you on this Greebo. For starters, it's nothing to do with it being his son. It's the way GJ is, and he's done it plenty of times before when it's been players other than Johnson Jr. He sees the fans as an integral part of the 'team', believe it or not, because he knows damned well that the comments and noise, both positive and negative, directly affect how his players play, their confidence levels etc. I recall one game last season - was it Chesterfield away? - when he got into a far more direct argument with a section of fans who booed the team off, trying to get them to applaud the players off to lift their confidence, then exchanging words and hand motions when the fans refused to do it, signalling that he knew exactly what the fans thought of the players, that he shared their opinion and would be telling them in no uncertain terms in the dressing room but that he wanted the fans to encourage the players and get behind them, and leave the bollockings to him.

I would deal with your second point by suggesting that it's perfectly valid for GJ to respond to taunts or criticism from the fans. After all, as a supporter on the terrace, what is the point of shouting abuse or opinion at GJ or a player? Answer: You want them to hear it and do something about it. How, then, can you complain when he does hear and respond by signalling that he disagrees with your sentiment or even, in one case today, reminding the fans that he picks the team? It seems a bit off to expect to be able to shout abuse at a manager and his players, then get upset when he responds by replying!

From speaking to him in the past, I know GJ is genuinely aware of the effect the fans have on the players when they interact, both on and off the pitch - particularly with so many younger players in the squad. It is because of this understanding, which few other managers we've had in recent years seemed to appreciate, that he cares so much about what is said to the players. Now I'm not saying he's always right - in my opinion it's naive to think fans will be willing to clap off players who have not seemed to give their all, or to expect fans to only be positive when what they are watching my be anything but, however I understand why he wants that. And furthermore, I'm bloody glad we have a manager who is not only aware of what fans are saying, but cares about it and sees the manager/fan relationship as one that can be addressed directly rather than through bland statements mediated by Radio Bristol in post-match interviews. For starters, it might make a few people think about the effect of the abuse they shout from the stands rather than simply think it's fine to scream "Get off Jevons, you're crap" every time the bloke touches the ball, or cheer when LJ is substituted. Yes, they've paid their money, and it might be their right to express their opinion. But that doesn't make what they are saying right, and it doesn't mean the effect is positive and helps the team to win. Far from it.

Red Top it's nice to know someone else understands gj's mentality great post spot on

You make a lot of sensible points there but I still think that gestures to and public arguments with fans are not actions for a football manager to be involved in. A reply occasionally by the way of explanation can work when the time is right and can make abusers either look stupid and/or think about what they are saying. But slanging matches and gestures are likely to make things a whole lot worse. As you say many people shout stuff to get a reaction - what is the worst thing you can do to these people? Ignore them.

Archived