IGNORED

10 Years Of The Forum

Dave L

Guest MaloneFM
I just downloaded the version by The Kinks. Perhaps MaloneFM - as head boy - could give us his opinion as to which is the best version. :clapping:

Well being a dull and simple lad and at the same time being so gay and fancy free one does lean towards the Jam version. If only for 'A' Bomb In Wardour Street. Written by Mr Weller from Woking.

However Ray Davies did write 'he adoes the girl next door, cos he dying to get at her' which does cheer uncle Rog regularly. And the poor sod did have one or two mornings waking up to that mascared hound called Hynde. Which must be an experience shared by one or two on here after a night on the Tizer.

I have some really really old ones too, going back to 1998, which I could dig out if anyones really really wanting to read them :ph34r:

Actually, if you want real nostalgia, the greatest ever postings back then were when the Rovers opened their official site and City fans posted on their forum on it's first day with a variety of sarcastic and made up remarks.

Not that I condone that sort of thing, but it was all done in the best possible spirit and was utterly hilarious, even the Gasheads joined in. In fact it was the first time in 18 years I spent an entire day pissing myself :)

An archive of the Rovers forum launch that day exists somewhere - I think I have a copy somewhere, and one was stored on the Citylist in the past. If anyone has one now and can publish it or upload it.... very funny!

Guest MaloneFM
Actually, if you want real nostalgia, the greatest ever postings back then were when the Rovers opened their official site and City fans posted on their forum on it's first day with a variety of sarcastic and made up remarks.

Not that I condone that sort of thing, but it was all done in the best possible spirit and was utterly hilarious, even the Gasheads joined in. In fact it was the first time in 18 years I spent an entire day pissing myself :)

An archive of the Rovers forum launch that day exists somewhere - I think I have a copy somewhere, and one was stored on the Citylist in the past. If anyone has one now and can publish it or upload it.... very funny!

I toally condone ripping the piss out of anything and everything so as an historian of all things that remove urine I am very interested in a link.

DaveL, did you write part of the script for the last episode of the Doctor Who spin off series 'Torchwood'? Twas great to see 3 russet coated soldiers of His Most Republican Excellency - Oliver Cromwell - coming through a time warp to the present day. :clapping: Then they started taking shots with their muskets at the Royalist Gestapo Police - excellent stuff. :clapping: Couldn't have written it better myself. :clapping:

Dave L, I'm still patiently waiting for a reply. :whistle2:

Dave L, I'm still patiently waiting for a reply. :whistle2:

Apologies for the delay. Patience is a virtue, you know. No I didn't write that. But I am currently developing an idea for a children's story based on a spoilt 21st century kid being transported back in time to 1655 on Deember 25th, where he discovers that Cromwell's puritanical, fun-hating petty bureaucrats have banned Christmas. Required viewing in the Goblin household, I would have thought. :innocent06:

But I am currently developing an idea for a children's story based on a spoilt 21st century kid being transported back in time to 1655 on Deember 25th, where he discovers that Cromwell's puritanical, fun-hating petty bureaucrats have banned Christmas. Required viewing in the Goblin household, I would have thought. :innocent06:

Likewise, I'm developing an idea where a young lad is transported from the beacon of light and freedom in Europe that was the English Republic of 1655 to the present day where royalist tyrants blight England. :clapping: The lad of Cromwell's time is startled to find that petty legal royalist bureaucrats preside over a country where ordinary bods often cannot afford their accomodation expenses and have massive debts incurred as a result of celebrating Christmas. :whistle2: Far from being the beacon of light and hope to a Europe often repressed by their respective Royal households as in 1655, present day England is now the country that locks up more of a proportion of its people - in Royalist prison camps !!! - than in any other country in Western Europe. :rolleyes:

The first one to write nud ladies and cider in, oh and a helicopter crash in slow motion, gets my vote.

'Little Timmy Tompkins stepped from the shattered wreckage of his time travelling helicopter, necking a bottle of Thatchers and surveying the nude Royalist ladies as they were chased by nasty, mean rounheads'.

If that doesn't win the Booker prize, I'll be astonished.

'Little Timmy Tompkins stepped from the shattered wreckage of his time travelling helicopter, necking a bottle of Thatchers and surveying the nude Royalist ladies as they were chased by nasty, mean rounheads'.

If that doesn't win the Booker prize, I'll be astonished.

This true narration deserves a Booker prize: The History of the Siege of Basing House, Old Basing, Hampshire edited by me from an article by David Nash Ford.......

intaking.jpg

On the morning of the 14th October 1645, at dawn, Cromwell's Ironsides launched a final attack on the heavily fortified Royalist stronghold of Basing House. The small garrison could never have stopped these Ironsides, but it is said they were surprised while playing cards. This story is unlikely, but a phrase has caught on and "Clubs are trumps, as when Basing House was taken" is a, now little-known, Hampshire saying. The assault did not take long. Three thousand men were employed in the attack and a further four thousand ringed the house. There was no escape for the Royalists. Yet the Royalists fought to the death at sword point. At the end, there were only two hundred prisoners, including women and children.

Then came the looting. All the Royalist women and most of the men were stripped of their clothes. :clapping: Most of the Royalist men were hanged. The Roundhead soldiers took all they could. Cromwell collected a quarter of a million pounds worth of loot at Basing that day, which he called "good encouragement". :chant6ez: Then the house was set on fire, some say by accident, but many of the garrison, some seventy-four still alive, perished in the flames.

Lastly, Cromwell - being the generous man of the people that he was - let the villagers in and it did not take them long to cart away the bricks in order to rebuild their houses. :clapping:

looting.jpg

No cider and no helicopter crash. V Poor. 2/10. See me

This true narration deserves a Booker prize: The History of the Siege of Basing House, Old Basing, Hampshire edited by me from an article by David Nash Ford.......

intaking.jpg

On the morning of the 14th October 1645, at dawn, Cromwell's Ironsides launched a final attack on the heavily fortified Royalist stronghold of Basing House. The small garrison could never have stopped these Ironsides, but it is said they were surprised while playing cards. This story is unlikely, but a phrase has caught on and "Clubs are trumps, as when Basing House was taken" is a, now little-known, Hampshire saying. The assault did not take long. Three thousand men were employed in the attack and a further four thousand ringed the house. There was no escape for the Royalists. Yet the Royalists fought to the death at sword point. At the end, there were only two hundred prisoners, including women and children.

Then came the looting. All the Royalist women and most of the men were stripped of their clothes. :clapping: Most of the Royalist men were hanged. The Roundhead soldiers took all they could. Cromwell collected a quarter of a million pounds worth of loot at Basing that day, which he called "good encouragement". :chant6ez: Then the house was set on fire, some say by accident, but many of the garrison, some seventy-four still alive, perished in the flames.

Lastly, Cromwell - being the generous man of the people that he was - let the villagers in and it did not take them long to cart away the bricks in order to rebuild their houses. :clapping:

looting.jpg

Guest MaloneFM

What was Cromwell doing with that Raymond Burr? And I hope there was wheelchair access to the house or it would be pretty bloody dull viewing.

I go with man that put in nudey ladies and helicopter crash. Sod Cromwell and Perry Mason.

No cider and no helicopter crash. V Poor. 2/10. See me

Ahhh, but pictures are worth a thousand words. In the bottom picture please note a Goblinesque figure in a black hat and black cloak drinking cider from a captured Royalist golden goblet. If you look closely enough into the smoke in the top picture I'm sure you'll make out the faint outline of a time-travelling helicopter - in which direction Oliver Cromwell himself is seen to be pointing !!!!!! :farmer:

Likewise, I'm developing an idea where a young lad is transported from the beacon of light and freedom in Europe that was the English Republic of 1655 to the present day where royalist tyrants blight England. :clapping: The lad of Cromwell's time is startled to find that petty legal royalist bureaucrats preside over a country where ordinary bods often cannot afford their accomodation expenses and have massive debts incurred as a result of celebrating Christmas. :whistle2: Far from being the beacon of light and hope to a Europe often repressed by their respective Royal households as in 1655, present day England is now the country that locks up more of a proportion of its people - in Royalist prison camps !!! - than in any other country in Western Europe. :rolleyes:

Sooooooooo OC, where the hell were YOU republicans on 11/11/65, when we declared our independance of the flaming royalist Labour government of Harold "Flasher Mac " Wilson????

If this forum is 10 yrs old i would have been about 14-15 when it started and must have been one of those annoying gits who only wrote in the school holidays.

This thread in itself is bringing back memories,

I have only scanned it quickly but did Tom say that he has spent years trying not to bugger it up?

makes a change for him, he spent years trying not to get buggered at the weekly `Incider` meetings.

How refreshing to see Goblin posting in his usual cavalier manner.

Dave L won`t be replying until he gets kicked out of the Celeb BB house,

I had heard on the grapevine that he was infact Ken Russel all these years and it was only when i watched the video clip today of his meat and two veg that i recognised him and put two and two together.

Tally ho, here`s to the next 10 tears

no typo intended.

ALBUM · All Mod Cons (1978)

TITLE David Watts, by The Jam

I've changed the lyrics from 'David Watts' to 'MaloneFM' as a tribute to our very own Pimm's sipping maestro of chat :chant6ez: ......

I am a dull and simple lad

Cannot tell water from champagne

And I have never met the Queen

And I wish I could have all he has got -

I wish I could be like MaloneFM

And when I lie on my pillow at night

I dream I could fight like MaloneFM

And lead the school team to victory

Take my exams and pass the lot

He is the head boy at the school

He is the captain of the team

His is so gay and fancy free

And I wish I could have all the money he's got

I wish I could be like MaloneFM

And all the girls in the neighbourhood

Try to go out with MaloneFM

They try their best but can't succeed

For he is of pure and noble creed

UP THE THE KINKS!

UP THE THE KINKS!

I've stayed neutral on this controversial topic up until now. Yep, The Kinks version of 'David Watts' is better than the Jam's. The Jam are excellent but The Kinks are phenomenal. All we need to do now is make the David Watts tune into a BCFC chant and make it our own and famous again throughout England. :englandsmile4wf:

Kustard, BTR_FTG, Godzilla, Tomarse/Tom F, Edson, Red Top, Richie B, Neo, Red Goblin, Potbelly, Malone FM, Cidergliders, Bristol Boy, Madger, Red Un, Red M, Badger, Nibor, Robbored and no doubt many others, some of whom will no doubt add to this thread by asking why I didn't include them.

I've read this list several times, but still cannot see SarahB there. :dunno::angry:

A glaring omission, surely. :no:

Guest DrFaustus
Nah, the kinks version was better.

Quite plainly, the correct answer.

I've stayed neutral on this controversial topic up until now. Yep, The Kinks version of 'David Watts' is better than the Jam's. The Jam are excellent but The Kinks are phenomenal. All we need to do now is make the David Watts tune into a BCFC chant and make it our own and famous again throughout England. :englandsmile4wf:

Goblin, if you desecrate a Ray Davies song, I will be forced to unleash all manner of plague, pestilence and malodorous stench in your general direction. That's right, I have a spare key to Malone's flat.

Ray Davies is simply a musical God and anyone who says otherwise is a cretinous heathen :)

Sorry, I've tried to stay quiet on here, but will have no blasphemous remarks regarding Lord Davies of Muswell.

Just because you fancy her.

That goes without saying, don't we all? :dunno:

Dave, I gather you have even gone to the extent of shaving off all your hair to create that irresistable 'Egg head' look in your determination to catch her eye and win her for yourself. :thumbsup:

That is entirely understandable, but changing your name by deed poll to 'Dave Brooker' may see to some to be a step too far. :disapointed2se:

Sincerely, your rival in love, Nogbad the Brooker. :sub:

Dave, I gather you have even gone to the extent of shaving off all your hair to create that irresistable 'Egg head' look in your determination to catch her eye and win her for yourself. :thumbsup:

That's true. But don't tell Mrs Dave L. I've told her I'm having chemotherapy.

The Kinks or The Jam? A question a bit like "the wife or the mistress?"

The Kinks are obviously the wife. A bit older, solid, dependable, wise and knowing. The Jam is the mistress, younger, more energy, daring....and willing to put Bruce Foxton on lead vocals every now and again. Actually, that's where the analogy runs a little thin.

To be fair, I'd have them both (although the Jam shade it for me). And if the Mrs is reading this, purely in the musical sense!

Archived